Browns DE Chris Smith’s Lamborghini crashed on 90W this morning, after he reported a tire blew, girlfriend killed

PlayoffsPlease

1 hour ago, teef said:

do you really think that's what he was trying to do?  come on...

people just have to realize you can't be anywhere near the side of a road.  a lot of drivers  just aren't paying attention.  I knew a man who lost his grandson this way.  in this instance, the kids saw an accident, pulled over to help, and was hit by a distracted driver, (driver who didn't see him, etc).

Yes, I do. And, his comments in the thread further proved that his goal was to further that narrative. 

Not interested in derailing the topic at hand though, so I will just say this (like I said in his thread): stop drinking and driving, stop texting and driving. They are both incredibly unsafe, selfish, and destructive behaviors. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Yes, I do. And, his comments in the thread further proved that his goal was to further that narrative. 

Not interested in derailing the topic at hand though, so I will just say this (like I said in his thread): stop drinking and driving, stop texting and driving. They are both incredibly unsafe, selfish, and destructive behaviors. 

then you totally misconstrued what he was getting at.  i agree with the second comment though.

edit: i don't think you're derailing this thread at all.  it's a good conversation.  i think in the thread you referenced, the op was just trying to show how dangerous texting is, and how potentially it's more dangerous that drinking and driving.  now we all know that drinking and driving is bad, so let's not let anyone be outraged, but texting can be so much worse.  a least a couple of time a week i'm sure we all see people driving on the shoulder for a few seconds, or dangerously leaning into someone else's lane.  when you drive by what are they doing?   texting.  i'm willing to be we all encounter far more distracted drivers do to texting day to day than an actual drunk.  they are both bad, but texting is far more prevalent.  

Edited by teef

3 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I don't know what thread you guys are referring to, but frequency should also be taken into account, and on that matter, the risks are much higher for texting drivers because that's a much more frequent phenomenon on the roads these days.

6 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't know what thread you guys are referring to, but frequency should also be taken into account, and on that matter, the risks are much higher for texting drivers because that's a much more frequent phenomenon on the roads these days.

oh...GG beat me to it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

oh...GG beat me to it.

Yup, don't know how many times I'm looking at a driver ahead of me thinking, boy that's waaay too early in the day to be this drunk.  Then I pass her :) and see one hand on the wheel and eyes fully glued to the phone.

18 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

"Smith and Cordero recently celebrated the birth of their daughter, Haven Harris Smith. Smith was excused from the Browns-Colts preseason game so that he was able to attend the birth."

Dear Goodness.

:cry:

1 minute ago, GG said:

Yup, don't know how many times I'm looking at a driver ahead of me thinking, boy that's waaay too early in the day to be this drunk.  Then I pass her :) and see one hand on the wheel and eyes fully glued to the phone.

it's a least 2-3 times a week.  on occasion you'll see the same driver do it multiple times down the same stretch of road.  they realize they're all over the place, correct themselves, then go right back to texting.  

1 hour ago, teef said:

do you really think that's what he was trying to do?  come on...

people just have to realize you can't be anywhere near the side of a road.  a lot of drivers  just aren't paying attention.  I knew a man who lost his grandson this way.  in this instance, the kids saw an accident, pulled over to help, and was hit by a distracted driver, (driver who didn't see him, etc).

This is not to take attention away from both subjects, drunk driving and texting, as they are both terribly dangerous.  However, throw on top of that those of us that know what it is like to drive on the 90 around Cleveland (went to school in Akron in the 90s)...man, it is dangerous even without any distractions...let alone being on the road itself outside of a car.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

This is not to take attention away from both subjects, drunk driving and texting, as they are both terribly dangerous.  However, throw on top of that those of us that know what it is like to drive on the 90 around Cleveland (went to school in Akron in the 90s)...man, it is dangerous even without any distractions...let alone being on the road itself outside of a car.

i feel the stretch of the 90 between rochester and syracuse is like that too.  it's insanity.  everyone is flying, and no one is leaving space between cars.  you'll be going 80 and someone is half a car length from your bumper.  you'll leave a bit of space of safety, and someone just cuts in to go one car ahead.  if one person make a mistake, there's always a big pile up.  we got caught in one in july when coming back from the thousand islands.  just sat in traffic for over an hour because of a multiple car pile up.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, teef said:

then you totally misconstrued what he was getting at.  i agree with the second comment though.

edit: i don't think you're derailing this thread at all.  it's a good conversation.  i think in the thread you referenced, the op was just trying to show how dangerous texting is, and how potentially it's more dangerous that drinking and driving.  now we all know that drinking and driving is bad, so let's not let anyone be outraged, but texting can be so much worse.  a least a couple of time a week i'm sure we all see people driving on the shoulder for a few seconds, or dangerously leaning into someone else's lane.  when you drive by what are they doing?   texting.  i'm willing to be we all encounter far more distracted drivers do to texting day to day than an actual drunk.  they are both bad, but texting is far more prevalent.  

I  agree that texting is more prevalent, and I agree that it causes a lot of crashes. Some fatal, most of the fender bender type that are inconveniences. My point is, and the supposed question posed in the poll, is which one is more likely to cause you to die. An impaired driver is more likely to cause death. Anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, the objective statistics prove this. Impaired drivers are often driving at higher speeds, with decreased inhibitions/increased risk taking, impaired decision making / judgement skills, impaired visual perceptions, etc etc. Medical studies have proven (and documented findings in medical journals) that significant physical and cognitive impairment exists at BACs of .05. This is my point. I’m an not arguing that texting and driving laws shouldn’t be more stringent and that they aren’t a scourge on the highways of the country.

Here is an account from local news source.

The 47-year-old woman who struck Cordero at about 2 a.m. told Cleveland police officers she’d been drinking before the fatal crash, police said. Investigators are awaiting the results of toxicology tests to determine whether the woman’s blood-alcohol content was over the legal limit of 0.08 percent.

The woman had not been charged by Wednesday afternoon, police said. She was released from custody after receiving medical treatment at Fairview Hospital.

Smith and Cordero were heading west on I-90 near the West 140th Street exit ramp in his 2019 Lamborghini. Smith told police that a tire on his vehicle blew out, which caused the vehicle to veer left and strike the center median wall. Smith and Petara exited the vehicle and were standing on the north shoulder of I-90 West.

A short time later, the woman in a 2017 Mazda 3 approached the disabled Lamborghini. The Mazda veered to the right side of it, striking the open passenger side doors and then Cordero.

From this story we know the driver of the Mazda had been drinking but don't know if she was over the legal limit. Even if below the legal limit there is going to be some impairment of reaction time. Also worth noting is the accident occurred at 2:00 a.m. If the driver of the Mazda had been awake since 7:00 a.m. she would have been awake for 19 hours. There is plenty of research showing sleep deprivation can reduce reaction time as significantly as alcohol.

After 17–19 hours without sleep, corresponding to 2230 and 0100, performance on some tests was equivalent or worse than that at a BAC of 0.05%. Response speeds were up to 50% slower for some tests and accuracy measures were significantly poorer than at this level of alcohol. After longer periods without sleep, performance reached levels equivalent to the maximum alcohol dose given to subjects (BAC of 0.1%).

From the article the Lamborghini hit the center median which would be south shoulder but Smith and Petara were standing on the north shoulder when she was hit. Sounds like the car ended up back toward the north shoulder. The only thing that makes sense to me is the car came to rest mostly in the right lane facing west. The driver of the Mazda to avoid hitting the Lamborghini swerved right attempting to go around it on the north shoulder. So why wouldn't the Mazda driver swerve left instead? Maybe there was already a car on her left or maybe she was behind another car that swerved left and slammed on the breaks. It's all speculation, we just don't know. 

9 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I  agree that texting is more prevalent, and I agree that it causes a lot of crashes. Some fatal, most of the fender bender type that are inconveniences. My point is, and the supposed question posed in the poll, is which one is more likely to cause you to die. An impaired driver is more likely to cause death. Anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, the objective statistics prove this. Impaired drivers are often driving at higher speeds, with decreased inhibitions/increased risk taking, impaired decision making / judgement skills, impaired visual perceptions, etc etc. Medical studies have proven (and documented findings in medical journals) that significant physical and cognitive impairment exists at BACs of .05. This is my point. I’m an not arguing that texting and driving laws shouldn’t be more stringent and that they aren’t a scourge on the highways of the country.

i hear with what your saying, but what's worse, an impaired driver, or a driver who isn't even looking at the road?  that's the problem with texting.  it starts as a few quick looks at the phone, and slowly it turns into texting full sentences, and people completely not having eyes on those around them.  they're both terrible, but i'd almost rather take my chances with someone impaired and trying to drive vs someone who's essentially driving blind.

i get it's a weird scenario to talk about, but i think his point was to show how texting can be just as, if not more dangerous than drinking and driving.

20 minutes ago, teef said:

i hear with what your saying, but what's worse, an impaired driver, or a driver who isn't even looking at the road?  that's the problem with texting.  it starts as a few quick looks at the phone, and slowly it turns into texting full sentences, and people completely not having eyes on those around them.  they're both terrible, but i'd almost rather take my chances with someone impaired and trying to drive vs someone who's essentially driving blind.

i get it's a weird scenario to talk about, but i think his point was to show how texting can be just as, if not more dangerous than drinking and driving.

Again, I submit an impaired driver is more dangerous. But that’s my opinion. Ive personally investigated hundreds of fatal traffic crashes. The amount of those that were due to texting I can count on one hand. The amount that were the result of alcohol/drug impairment is probably 30x greater. On the flip side, I’ve investigated thousands of non fatal traffic crashes. It is more even with texting/distraction being a factor with alcohol being a factor (40/60ish) in these less traumatic impacts. But, again...that’s just my experience. This experience, along with training, has led me to formulate my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

i feel the stretch of the 90 between rochester and syracuse is like that too.  it's insanity.  everyone is flying, and no one is leaving space between cars.  you'll be going 80 and someone is half a car length from your bumper.  you'll leave a bit of space of safety, and someone just cuts in to go one car ahead.  if one person make a mistake, there's always a big pile up.  we got caught in one in july when coming back from the thousand islands.  just sat in traffic for over an hour because of a multiple car pile up.

I don't get it, teef.  Seriously, I just don't.

Maybe I am just old and maybe just from being a parent, but life is just so damn precious.  it's ridiculous to lose any of us over avoidable situations.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Again, I submit an impaired driver is more dangerous. But that’s my opinion. Ive personally investigated hundreds of fatal traffic crashes. The amount of those that were due to texting I can count on one hand. The amount that were the result of alcohol/drug impairment is probably 30x greater. On the flip side, I’ve investigated thousands of non fatal traffic crashes. It is more even with texting/distraction being a factor with alcohol being a factor (40/60ish) in these less traumatic impacts. But, again...that’s just my experience. This experience, along with training, has led me to formulate my opinion. 

completely understand.

17 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I don't get it, teef.  Seriously, I just don't.

Maybe I am just old and maybe just from being a parent, but life is just so damn precious.  it's ridiculous to lose any of us over avoidable situations.

i think it's age and being a parent both.  i just don't take the stupid chances i once did.  it never got me there any faster, and i have far more to lose at this point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1