Outrageous Player Behavior - Reaction?

Irv

Seeing Antonio Brown implosion got me thinking.  Do you think the outrageous players (AB, CK, OBJ, Ochocinco, TO, Neon Deion, etc.)  are acting on their own or being given bad advice by publicists, or hanger's-on?   I wonder what these guys are thinking when they probably know acting like a maniac usually ends poorly.  I'm pretty much sure it hurts their careers worse than just staying anonymous.  But I could be naïve.  What do you think?   

On their own.  But I'd qualify some of those you mention differently.  I think AB has a legitimate personality disorder (as opposed to OBJ, who's simply an #######).  And Johnson, Owens, and Sanders never struck me as particularly troubled so much as just showmen.  Ochocinco, in particular, always seemed to be someone who just thoroughly enjoyed football and let it show, and was frustrated when he couldn't.  

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think it has had any negative affects on their careers or tarnished their images. If anything, it may have had a positive affect on their image. When was the last time TO, or Moss, or Deon played and yet we still talk about them. They are remembered and have been given opportunities outside of playing the game because of their reputations and being known outside of being on a football field. Do you think Larry Fitzgerald will be given a chance to be on Dancing with the Stars when his career is over? How many people outside of NFL fans will know who he is? Those guys always managed to stay in the spotlight even when it didn't have to do with their play on the field.  There are some who may have taken it too far like AB recently, but going from a potential bottom 3rd team to a SB contender in one afternoon isn't really a bad thing. 

I agree with Buffalo 716.

I think it is in these guys by nature to be boisterous jerks.  

Another factor at work, with many of them, but not all, is that the athlete comes from a rather dysfunctional background and receives a less than ideal upbringing resulting in poor character...and is then handed millions of dollars.

Not a good combo, nor would people of this ilk ever have that sort of money if not the result of playing sports.

I feel like I know Antonio Brown somewhat just from watching Hard Knocks this year.

Let's say his athletic career never went anywhere because he blew out his knee freshman year of college.

What other career options would he have, and what would his career earnings be?  

He strikes me as the sort of guy who would be incapable of holding down a working class job, and would likely end up dead or in jail.

As it is, he has big corporate CEO type money and is a super star of sorts.

It's a crazy world.

22 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't think it has had any negative affects on their careers or tarnished their images. If anything, it may have had a positive affect on their image. When was the last time TO, or Moss, or Deon played and yet we still talk about them. They are remembered and have been given opportunities outside of playing the game because of their reputations and being known outside of being on a football field. Do you think Larry Fitzgerald will be given a chance to be on Dancing with the Stars when his career is over? How many people outside of NFL fans will know who he is? Those guys always managed to stay in the spotlight even when it didn't have to do with their play on the field.  There are some who may have taken it too far like AB recently, but going from a potential bottom 3rd team to a SB contender in one afternoon isn't really a bad thing. 

To that end, I think part of it is calculated. It's the "any publicity is good publicity" strategy towards creating your brand.

Everyone knows football players have a relatively short shelf life. Some figure out how to keep their face in the spotlight, one way or another.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:11 PM, Irv said:

Seeing Antonio Brown implosion got me thinking.  Do you think the outrageous players (AB, CK, OBJ, Ochocinco, TO, Neon Deion, etc.)  are acting on their own or being given bad advice by publicists, or hanger's-on?   I wonder what these guys are thinking when they probably know acting like a maniac usually ends poorly.  I'm pretty much sure it hurts their careers worse than just staying anonymous.  But I could be naïve.  What do you think?   

Acting on their own in the context that celebrities are not subject to the rules, expectations, etc. that the rest of us accept as part of the social order.