Terry Pegula write up by Timmmay G

Reed83HOF

https://theathletic.com/1189973/2019/09/11/talking-baseball-with-terry-pegula-whose-childhood-fandom-inspired-his-purchase-of-buffalos-teams/

He grew up in Carbondale, Pa., while a coal-mine fire burned for three decades underneath it. Pegula’s father worked in the mines, then found better work as a truck driver and mechanic. When hernia surgery prevented Myron Pegula from working for a year, the family waited in welfare lines for food.

“Which was very embarrassing for me,” Pegula said. “I was 10 or 11 years old. We’d go and get puffed rice in bags, five-gallon containers of peanut butter. We didn’t have the money.”

Aside from Channels 16, 22 and 28 on the family’s black-and-white Philco television, young Terry’s mind would float fancifully while watching the steam shovels and draglines excavate smoldering culm from the mine. The Pegulas heated their rented home with whatever coal they raked out of the dumped rubble.

“I use Terry without mentioning his name when I explain to other clients what it takes to actually make a commitment to buy a team,” said Steve Greenberg, an industry titan who has brokered the sale or acquisition of teams in every major North American sports league. “There was no way Terry and Kim were going to be runners-up for the Buffalo Bills.”

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This isn't true across the board, of course, but in general, I've noticed that rich people who grew up poor or middle class and built their own wealth tend to be better human beings than those who were born into wealthy families and never had to struggle for anything.

Terry P. corroborates that assessment.

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

This isn't true across the board, of course, but in general, I've noticed that rich people who grew up poor or middle class and built their own wealth tend to be better human beings than those who were born into wealthy families and never had to struggle for anything.

Terry P. corroborates that assessment.

There are exceptions all over the place.... Ti me the differentiator is who do you surround yourself with while and after you come into money.  Values matter and often the people around you, regardless of wealth or status help you stay grounded in those values.

Good for the Pegula family as they do seem to be well grounded people.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

Thank god we have The Pegulas as owners!!!!

What a contrast to the Scumbag Robert Kraft!

So, you're saying you don't expect to see Terry dancing with Cardi B anytime soon?

Look at Bob's face......

Bob: "Ohhhhh yeah, bring them soft hands over here......mmhmm...."

Image result for bob kraft cardi b gif

• Haha (+1) 1