Zay Jones blocking ability - I’m impressed

YoloinOhio

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

Jones will not contest the ball, including on one of Allen's interceptions. Jones, with a defender between him and Allen, ran deep with his arms low to catch it around his hip. The interception is still on Allen, but a better receiver would have cut in to at least try to get above the defender. It's as if Jone is not seeing the defenders around him. And today he was not getting separation. He's a liability, at this point.

Yep. I blame that on Allen. But he's terrible tracking and fighting for the ball. He just let it happen. 

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Jones will not contest the ball, including on one of Allen's interceptions. Jones, with a defender between him and Allen, ran deep with his arms low to catch it around his hip. The interception is still on Allen, but a better receiver would have cut in to at least try to get above the defender. It's as if Jones is not seeing the defenders around him. And today he was not getting separation. He's a liability, at this point.

I have to agree with this.

The INT is on Allen, but Zay Jones has to know when to be a defender.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Beane wasn't a Bills at the time of the draft.

Phil McGeoghan convinced the new HC at the time to take his former star WR.  McDermott as the de facto lead of this organization needs help evaluating offensive personnel and their offense is demonstrative of that fact. 

2 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Seriously? That pass that went through Zay's hands is a TD if Williams was in that spot. Throw may have been high, but catchable just the same

Are you referring to the high pass by Barkley? If you think Williams catches that, how do I argue? He hasn't even made it past the ps yet, but you're gonna hypothetically make it a catch for him. If you're referring to the miss by Josh on a wide open Zay, even ps Duke wouldn't make that.

I hope Duke makes the team over Jones and lights it up, I really do. I'm a Bills fan, not a Duke hater or Zay lover. Did you read the whole post? Josh has 3 td passes and 1 was a shuffle. Josh also has thrown 6 ints. Watch film of the season so far and tell me if Josh is better, Zay doesn't have at least 3 tds, in 4 games. You can tell me Duke would have more, but again, how do I argue hypotheticals? I have my thoughts and you have yours. Mine are based on what I've seen in real games. And in real games, Josh has left at least 3 tds to Zay go to waste. I don't think you could argue that.

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Phil McGeoghan convinced the new HC at the time to take his former star WR.  McDermott as the de facto lead of this organization needs help evaluating offensive personnel and their offense is demonstrative of that fact. 

Yup. That's all on McDermott. Phil should not have been there in the first place let alone have that much sway. His first staff was weak. 

Just now, Dopey said:

Are you referring to the high pass by Barkley? If you think Williams catches that, how do I argue? He hasn't even made it past the ps yet, but you're gonna hypothetically make it a catch for him. If you're referring to the miss by Josh on a wide open Zay, even ps Duke wouldn't make that.

I hope Duke makes the team over Jones and lights it up, I really do. I'm a Bills fan, not a Duke hater or Zay lover. Did you read the whole post? Josh has 3 td passes and 1 was a shuffle. Josh also has thrown 6 ints. Watch film of the season so far and tell me if Josh is better, Zay doesn't have at least 3 tds, in 4 games. You can tell me Duke would have more, but again, how do I argue hypotheticals? I have my thoughts and you have yours. Mine are based on what I've seen in real games. And in real games, Josh has left at least 3 tds to Zay go to waste. I don't think you could argue that.

I get the arguments about Zay not contesting catches, but he keeps putting himself on a shorter leash. I have criticized Allen for missing open receivers, but I keep that a bit contained for 2 reasons. 1. He's technically still a rookie and 2. This O line still hasn't played up to it's full potential. At this point, bringing up Williams really couldn't hurt anything. As some have pointed out, with Allen possibly being out next week, Barkley could have a monster day with Williams in the lineup given their chemistry

8 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

I get the arguments about Zay not contesting catches, but he keeps putting himself on a shorter leash. I have criticized Allen for missing open receivers, but I keep that a bit contained for 2 reasons. 1. He's technically still a rookie and 2. This O line still hasn't played up to it's full potential. At this point, bringing up Williams really couldn't hurt anything. As some have pointed out, with Allen possibly being out next week, Barkley could have a monster day with Williams in the lineup given their chemistry

I'm not saying don't bring up Duke. Duke for Foster would be the better move. I still argue that if he had better qb play by Josh this year, Zay leads the team in tds. Not Brown, not Beasley, but Zay. I don't see how that's missed in all this. Bring up Duke, just for Foster. 

Just now, Dopey said:

I'm not saying don't bring up Duke. Duke for Foster would be the better move. I still argue that if he had better qb play by Josh this year, Zay leads the team in tds. Not Brown, not Beasley, but Zay. I don't see how that's missed in all this. Bring up Duke, just for Foster. 

Yeah, right now, Foster is just taking up space at this point. Now he may have been injured through the first 3 games but still, he's not doing much at all so far. As I said, with Williams being a solid blocker and having good hands, it won't hurt to try

32 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I think our WRs need to do a better job at blocking when Allen scrambles. Beasley indirectly caused Allen’s concussion by not blocking his defender after Allen scrambled for the sticks. 

A3818A13-BA1B-4105-B0A7-7DD96B6F48E7.jpeg

I hear you, but I don’t think many people expect much blocking from Beasley. He’s not really a tough slot receiver in the mold of a guy like Edelman. Allen needs to slide rather than attempting to run over three defenders. There’s so much I like about Allen, but he plays quite ignorant football at times. 

Edited by SirAndrew

20 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I hear you, but I don’t think many people expect much blocking from Beasley. He’s not really a tough slot receiver in the mold of a guy like Edelman. Allen needs to slide rather than attempting to run over three defenders. There’s so much I like about Allen, but he plays quite ignorant football at times. 

If you are tough enough to play the slot you must be tough enough to block. This on Beasley. Everyone must up their game.

4 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

If you are tough enough to play the slot you must be tough enough to block. This on Beasley. Everyone must up their game.

I get that, and it’s everyone responsibility to block. Just saying that Beasley being a bit soft has always been a knock on his game. He’s not the pesky tough little slot receiver type guy. He’s more known as a dependable target with soft hands. The tough parts of the game like blocking and run after the catch are not his game.