Zay Jones blocking ability - I’m impressed

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He had a nice catch and made some nice contributions.  Teams need guys like him. Is he or Lawson living up to their draft statuses? No. But who cares at this point. They are contributing.

They are both role players but teams need those. They both made critical plays on Sunday. Zay had a big catch in the 4th and Lawson was out there batting down passes.

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are both role players but teams need those. They both made critical plays on Sunday. Zay had a big catch in the 4th and Lawson was out there batting down passes.

That's what I said. You expect more than role players from first and second round guys but who cares at this point. Just need players to make plays and string some wins together 

15 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

Unlike Foster, who doesn't even know his assigment on this play, he better step up because he will lose playing time once Roberts comes back.

I think that whiff is the first time I've seen Foster since the preseason started. So much hype for a guy who can seemingly only run in a straight line. He definitely needs to step up, I'd much rather see Duke.

Edited by Nelius

17 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He's blocking for Jesus!!!

It’s very, VERY funny to bring up that episode every single time someone makes a post about Zay’s on-field play. Never gets old.

Hey! Maybe we should bring up Josh Allen’s racist tweets in every thread people make about him too...surely that will spawn more intelligent debate.

11 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

It’s very, VERY funny to bring up that episode every single time someone makes a post about Zay’s on-field play. Never gets old.

Hey! Maybe we should bring up Josh Allen’s racist tweets in every thread people make about him too...surely that will spawn more intelligent debate.

Whoa! Somebody loaded up on sensitivity this morning. Lighten up Francis, it's all in fun but if you feel it necessary to bring up Josh's HS antics go ahead.

Seriously, I'll be ok.

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, but that kind of math still doesn't really help his case.  It just further shows that in a game where we intended to pass a lot (the plan was to throw a lot early in the game) to exploit the weakest part of the Jets defense, Zay (our starting WR, in his 3rd year, who was a 2nd round pick) was not really a big part of the game plan.

At some point, the excuses need to stop and the production needs to happen. 

22 yards or less in 4 of his last 7 games with Allen tells me something is off.  A shaky preseason and minimal impact week 1 tells me this (so far) is just more of the same with Zay and right in line with what we have seen from him before.

He doesn't need a bunch of excuses from a few posters to change critics minds, he needs to show it on the field...so far, shaky preseason and minimal week 1 usage an impact isn't doing that.  

I mention 5 targets to show the MINIMAL amount he was involved in.  I did not say anything about his catch rate, not once.  I did consistently highlight his lack of involvement.  So no disrespect, but you're forming your own narrative on that and putting words in my mouth not consistent with I actually did say.  

Guys, Alpha is a really good poster around here. 

Absolutely just my opinion, but maybe we don’t jump on one of our own for giving a thoughtful opinion he believes in and wasn’t trying to BS anybody with it.  It didn’t happen the way he thought, but this doesn’t seem like something he should have to parade out and defend himself due to attacks every time Zay makes a catch.  I jokingly commented about something with him a couple of days ago because I like Alpha and I now regret it considering the guy has to stick up for himself with all this.

I hope Zay does well, too, Alpha just like you do and I do think you make salient critical points on his play.

Again, just my opinion.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I believe Zay’s route running is one of his strengths. 

Good routes and correct routes are sometimes different things.

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

He gets open a lot for someone that’s never gonna just run past someone. Must be something.

Getting open on tape without knowledge of the playcall and being open in the designed spot can be different. Getting open in general can be good depending on your offensive scheme and QB (Rodgers, Wilson, Ben, Watson, etc. like to play improv ball). Our OC is from the NE system, where the QB makes a read and throws to a spot most of the time. There was even talk about how AB would do in NE since he likes to freelance and Brady relies on structure and receivers being exactly where he expects them.

9 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I still blame Tyrod Taylor for the lack of production in his rookie season.   

Too many uncatchable balls labeled as targets.  

Not making excuses for Zay because he needed to perform better which no one is arguing.  

This doesn't really warrant a response since we've been over it before. Zay's uncatchable rate was significantly higher than every other receiver on the team. I'm sure that's just coincidence though. I know, I know. Stats are totally bogus unless you feel they help your narrative, then you'll attempt to use them.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t understand sending Zay deep to begin with. That’s just not his game. 

Agreed. Not sure how we got to that assignment for him.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

This doesn't really warrant a response since we've been over it before. Zay's uncatchable rate was significantly higher than every other receiver on the team. I'm sure that's just coincidence though. I know, I know. Stats are totally bogus unless you feel they help your narrative, then you'll attempt to use them.

Because Tyrod threw many many uncatchable balls “targeted” for Zay. 3 to 5 yards near the guy are not catchable. 

Balls that hit his hand, then all blame goes to Zay 

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Because Tyrod threw many many uncatchable balls “targeted” for Zay. 3 to 5 yards near the guy are not catchable. 

Balls that hit his hand, then all blame goes to Zay 

QB throws to a spot and Zay cuts the other direction, who is that on? Again, there's a reason his rate was significantly higher than the rest of the team.

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

lighten up Francis, I chuckled heartily at that guys post. 

Yes we have discussed this before

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29651/bills-rookie-zay-jones-believes-criticism-of-his-play-is-really-fair

Analysis of film shows of Jones' 32 targets this season, 12 have been uncatchable balls by quarterback Tyrod Taylor, including several throwaways when Taylor was under duress. The number of uncatchable targets reached a high Sunday for Jones, who had little to no shot of hauling in four of Taylor's nine targets.

That leaves 20 catchable targets for Jones. He has caught seven of them. Of the 13 that fell incomplete, defensive pressure played a role in some. Others, such as a screen pass during a Week 5 game in Cincinnati, were simply dropped.

Still horrible but with some backing to the atrociousness of it all.   

May he do better as the #3 WR this season.  

So yeah let’s pile it on.  

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Yes we have discussed this before

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29651/bills-rookie-zay-jones-believes-criticism-of-his-play-is-really-fair

Analysis of film shows of Jones' 32 targets this season, 12 have been uncatchable balls by quarterback Tyrod Taylor, including several throwaways when Taylor was under duress. The number of uncatchable targets reached a high Sunday for Jones, who had little to no shot of hauling in four of Taylor's nine targets.

That leaves 20 catchable targets for Jones. He has caught seven of them. Of the 13 that fell incomplete, defensive pressure played a role in some. Others, such as a screen pass during a Week 5 game in Cincinnati, were simply dropped.

Still horrible but with some backing to the atrociousness of it all.   

May he do better as the #3 WR this season.  

So yeah let’s pile it on.  

Oh right, because Rodak knows what was called on the field. The players had to console Zay in the locker room, but it probably wasn't his fault.

12 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Examples?

You can do the research for yourself. There are plenty of receivers throughout the history of the NFL that have risen above the talent level surrounding them. I have always been a fan of Jones and never posted any real criticisms of him, other than saying, in this thread, he has not consistently played at the level I believe he is capable of, and certainly not at the level you would expect of the 37th overall pick in the draft.

It's just my opinion. If you believe otherwise, fine.

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You can do the research for yourself. There are plenty of receivers throughout the history of the NFL that have risen above the talent level surrounding them. I have always been a fan of Jones and never posted any real criticisms of him, other than saying, in this thread, he has not consistently played at the level I believe he is capable of, and certainly not at the level you would expect of the 37th overall pick in the draft.

It's just my opinion. If you believe otherwise, fine.

I agree with this sentiment.  He's sort of like Josh Reed.  He'll make some plays here and there, but its seeming more and more like he'll never be THE guy.  Had issues with drops, and just doesn't seem like he's jumping off the page as this always open dude.  It's nice to see his blocking has improved though.  

I don't really know what I'm expecting from the 37th pick anymore tbh.  The jets are cutting 3rd rounders and we're giving meaningful playing time to 7th rounders and UDFAs.  Total crap shoot at this point.  However - he's a starter at a position that has a notoriously steep learning curve.  Do i wish we had drafted JuJu?  Yes.  I'm also not going to lose sleep over it, teams miss on stuff like this all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I agree with this sentiment.  He's sort of like Josh Reed.  He'll make some plays here and there, but its seeming more and more like he'll never be THE guy.  Had issues with drops, and just doesn't seem like he's jumping off the page as this always open dude.  It's nice to see his blocking has improved though.  

I don't really know what I'm expecting from the 37th pick anymore tbh.  The jets are cutting 3rd rounders and we're giving meaningful playing time to 7th rounders and UDFAs.  Total crap shoot at this point.  However - he's a starter at a position that has a notoriously steep learning curve.  Do i wish we had drafted JuJu?  Yes.  I'm also not going to lose sleep over it, teams miss on stuff like this all the time.

He got some ST snaps too, which feels new.

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Joking Zay blocks for Jesus isn't necessarily bringing up "the incident" and I think his faith is  germane to any discussion about him being on the team because McD and Beane seem to value intense Christian faith overly positively in their decision making on personnel (see Peterman).  Which I think is insane.  If Zay deserves a spot on the team it should be on his overall game and not just his blocking. There seems to be a lot of excuses thrown his way that other players don't get when they underperform. I'd be happy to see him do well but his faith shouldn't cloud any discussions for the Bills in their evaluation.