Zay Jones blocking ability - I’m impressed

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Zay Jones is a good blocking WR. He needs to show up more as a pass catching WR. I like Zay and believe he has the talent; however, he has not yet lived up to being the 37th overall pick. Hoping we see it this year.

I haven't looked at the all-22 to see how often Zay was open, but I can say that 2 of the 5 targets he's credited were impossible to catch - one was a throw away and one was the tipped ball INT which he had no possible play on but to tackle the Jet.

The catches he made were nice focus catches where he was hit immediately and hung on.  If he keeps doing that and is getting open, more targets will come as teams adjust to covering Beasley and Brown.

• Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I haven't looked at the all-22 to see how often Zay was open, but I can say that 2 of the 5 targets he's credited were impossible to catch - one was a throw away and one was the tipped ball INT which he had no possible play on but to tackle the Jet.

The catches he made were nice focus catches where he was hit immediately and hung on.  If he keeps doing that and is getting open, more targets will come as teams adjust to covering Beasley and Brown.

Agreed, both catches he made were not easy.  They were catches we expect WRs to make more often than not, but one was clutch in the 4th, where he had to go low to grab it, and the other was a screen where he was blown up as soon as he caught it. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not saying he should have caught more passes on the plays he was targeted in this game. I was speaking of his overall time here. I cerainly understand the offensive issues on this team during his tenure with the Bills, particularly at the QB position; however, we see receivers emerge in similar situations and put up more consistent plays and numbers than he has. Again, I think he has the talent and I have always been a supporter of his - I just don't feel he has managed to play at the level I think he is capable of. Hoping it starts this year.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We simply cannot allow any praise of Zay Jones, unless it's to get him traded.

Now now, it’s okay to praise when he doesn’t drop passes, and blocks, but outside of that, no mercy, ?

• Like (+1) 1

Zay was in on 29 offensive snaps out of 69 and targeted 5 times. 

It'll be interesting to see how he is used throughout the season and how that is affected if Foster's toe improves.  Will he remain a downfield blocker with a few targets or featured more in the passing game? 

2 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

Allen is the media's bipolar player and Zay is the Bill's fans bipolar player.

Neither will have prayer of winning over the detractors.

I'd refrain from using the word "Bipolar" if you're not clear what it means.

• Like (+1) 1