9/11/2001 Remembered

H2o

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

The plan was to eject just prior to impact, momentum carrying the F-16s into the fuselage, and them getting rescued after a successful ejection.

Her CO was to take the cockpit, and she the tail.

There were also missile equipped airplanes in the hunt, so I don't think this airplane would have gotten to DC.

Respect for loss of life, but glad it turned out the way it did, with minimal loss of life.

That was one of the more nauseating things I thought about as it sank in: there were pilots up there intercepting the plane, and they'd be ordered to shoot it down, and they'd have to pull the trigger, and live with that action.  I'd like to think that, in that situation, I'd do what's necessary and shoot down the plane...but I probably couldn't live with myself afterwards.  I'd probably have committed suicide inside a month.

Hearing it was basically a suicide mission, that they were unarmed (side note: I though F-16s always carried some gun ammo for CG reasons - live and learn) is even more nauseating.

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Gotta love those jackasses who used 9/11 sympathy to turn a profit...

Stupid song written by a huge tool.

On the topic of music, one of my memories of Sept 11 2001 is that it was the release date of an album that I wanted to buy (and would buy a few days later when things had calmed down). 

It was a Slayer album on 9/11/01, ironically titled God Hates Us All

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Hates_Us_All

224.jpg?3609&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by /dev/null

18 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

On the topic of music, one of my memories of Sept 11 2001 is that it was the release date of an album that I wanted to buy (and would buy a few days later when things had calmed down). 

It was a Slayer album on 9/11/01, ironically titled God Hates Us All

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Hates_Us_All

224.jpg?3609&f=1&nofb=1

? The anti-Alan Jackson

6 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Hearing it was basically a suicide mission, that they were unarmed (side note: I though F-16s always carried some gun ammo for CG reasons - live and learn) is even more nauseating.

The ejection system is extremely fast, so as long as you had a proper intercept angle you could get a really good hit on it.

There were two F-16's that were armed that were on their way and could have jumped United 93 prior to DC airspace.

Nobody other than alert airplanes were armed.

Very rare to ever have gun ammo.

That status and capability to respond with armed airplanes is quite different now.

Regarding the difficulty of mentally doing it, the weird part was right after it.

Many airline pilots in the Guard/Reserve were recalled to active duty for a bit and were flying TarCap over major cities, and were armed.

Shooting down one of your own company airplanes was a horrific thought.

Edited by sherpa

Take a Greyhound, same thing... Unless you spend a zillion dollars and fly uber 1st Class, private jet... Just rent a Lamborghini to New Jersey.   Enjoy the scenery. All the crazies gravitate to air travel, it's getting just as good as the bus & train.

Here. By the time it takes to get to airport. 1 hour.  Get there 2 hours early (even with gratis TSA precheck)... That's three hours... Then take the 1.5 hour flight to Buffalo... That's 4.5 hours... Deal with the hassle, jump through the whole insane dog & pony show,  get your toe nail clippers, 4.5 oz of Crest® confiscated, pregnant wife in tow with toddler, etc... Super expensive, the insane people... Crazy demands of the industry,  government, etc... I might as well drive to Buffalo and back to Illinois.  Oh wait, that's what we were doing on the morning of 9/11/2001.  /smh

LoL... Want that full "bus of the sky" experience... Fly Spirit Air.

***** you terrorists! You won't win.  We shall remember!

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Take a Greyhound, same thing... Unless you spend a zillion dollars and fly uber 1st Class, private jet... Just rent a Lamborghini to New Jersey.   Enjoy the scenery. All the crazies gravitate to air travel, it's getting just as good as the bus & train.

Here. By the time it takes to get to airport. 1 hour.  Get there 2 hours early (even with gratis TSA precheck)... That's three hours... Then take the 1.5 hour flight to Buffalo... That's 4.5 hours... Deal with the hassle, jump through the whole insane dog & pony show,  get your toe nail clippers, 4.5 oz of Crest® confiscated, pregnant wife in tow with toddler, etc... Super expensive, the insane people... Crazy demands of the industry,  government, etc... I might as well drive to Buffalo and back to Illinois.  Oh wait, that's what we were doing on the morning of 9/11/2001.  /smh

LoL... Want that full "bus of the sky" experience... Fly Spirit Air.

***** you terrorists! You won't win.  We shall remember!

Yes, if we go to BUF we drive too.  There are no non-stops from here, so take everything you said then add the complimentary stop at wherever and I'm already mostly across PA, in my own car, at my own pace. 

• Like (+1) 1