9/11/2001 Remembered

H2o

16 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

My wife went into labor shortly after the attacks. I had a newspaper deadline to meet and wrote this column. It went viral and was shared by hundreds of thousands coast-to-coast. My son turns 18 on Friday. I still stand by the words I wrote at the end of the piece.

http://niagarafallsreporter.com/croisdale26.html?fbclid=IwAR1KaSvM3ykXieKt9gkUA91y0EXmapdS0HcToEF4elYg51LXikjhyCtfo18

FABULOUS article, sir. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

My wife went into labor shortly after the attacks. I had a newspaper deadline to meet and wrote this column. It went viral and was shared by hundreds of thousands coast-to-coast. My son turns 18 on Friday. I still stand by the words I wrote at the end of the piece.

http://niagarafallsreporter.com/croisdale26.html?fbclid=IwAR1KaSvM3ykXieKt9gkUA91y0EXmapdS0HcToEF4elYg51LXikjhyCtfo18

Wow. One heck of a read sir, thanks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

It's amazing how the events of life, such as a tragedy or the birth of a child, can bring such clarity in moments where our emotions are desperately trying to override that still and soft voice within. I love your perspective my friend. The only thing we are left with in the end is how we carry ourselves and the legacy we leave through the story our lives tell, whether it be through children, friends, or other loved ones. Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was off work.  Just spent the weekend in WNY took in the Bills Home Opener against the Saints.  Greggo's first game as Bills HC.  Was packing up the family and getting ready to drive back to Illinois.  Son was 3.  Wife pregnant with our daughter.

Funny thing... At work... Business as usual.  We didn't close, port stayed open.  Next day, Marine Safety Office (MSO Chicago) closed us.  LMAO... 9/12/2001.  Oh well, better late than never.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Worst day of my life.

Started out responding to this thing.

Diverted, called home because I was flying transcons from New York the day before, and going back from the west coast when it happened, and wanted to let the wife and kids know I was OK.

Next, lunch with a group I was working with that clearly had no idea how it was career altering.

After lunch, found out the names of friends on American 77.

Just a horrible day.

Didn't get home until Friday, and one of the things I'll never forget, among many,  is seeing only my car and about four others in the  usually jammed employee lot at Reagan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Worst day of my life.

Diverted, called home because I was flying transcons from New York the day before, and going back from the west coast when it happened, and wanted to let the wife and kids know I was OK.

Next, lunch with a group I was working with that clearly had no idea how it was career altering.

Just a horrible day.

Didn't get home until Friday, and one of the things I'll never forget, among many,  is seeing only my car and about four others in the  usually jammed employee lot at Reagan.

You were a pilot, I presume?

13 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

You were a pilot, I presume?

Ya.

Same company.

I flew that Dulles to LA trip for 18 months prior to this, then took a job as a check captain, because I got tired of it, and preferred Europe and South America.

We lost good people that day, and the career and industry were changed forever.

Not complaining, but I know the results.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I've been watching in "real" time the ABC News coverage today; I always do, to remember those who suffered and lost their lives 18 years ago right now.

It should be required for ALL Americans to visit the 9/11 museum at least once in their lives. It's by far the most amazing and humbling museum I've ever been in.

Sadly, some I've encountered yesterday and already today don't actively remember or think about what happened....they said "oh yeah, it's 9/11 isn't it?" 

NEVER FORGET. 

We've been to the Pentagon and Shankesville PA but not to Ground Zero yet.

The Pentagon memorial is a challenge to find/get to.  There's a huge shopping mall, S of the Pentagon, across  I-395, called Pentagon City.  If you park there, cross the street heading N, there's a pedestrian tunnel under I-395.  Once you exit that, bear left, and there are signs to the memorial.  A friend of ours, who was working there on 9/11, said that the loss of life would have been greater except that the portion of the building that was hit, was largely closed for renovation, so many of the offices were vacant.  She also said that the portion of the building that was hit is where the Joint Chiefs of Staff offices were normally located.

Shankesville is not very well marked.  We were within 3-4 miles of it before we saw our first sign. We were on  US30, maybe I-76 has signs?  This seems to be presented much better, and more detailed than the Pentagon site.  Maybe that's because the UA93 site is now a National Park while the Pentagon remains an active military installation.

• Like (+1) 1

Such a sobering and tragic day--will never forget watching live the confused, chaotic TV coverage unfolding that day--the History channel does a good job of presenting that each year. A marking moment for my generation, no doubt on par with other significant national events such as Pearl Harbor, Kennedy assassination, etc.   

• Like (+1) 1

I have a bunch of documentaries recording today.

For a while there, there was a shortage of new/interesting documentaries on 9/11 and I had seen most of the ones already out and repeated every year.

This year it looks like there are quite a few news ones that look interesting.

Just a heads up for those who are interested in 9/11 and like documentaries.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic my friend!

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The plan was to eject just prior to impact, momentum carrying the F-16s into the fuselage, and them getting rescued after a successful ejection.

Her CO was to take the cockpit, and she the tail.

There were also missile equipped airplanes in the hunt, so I don't think this airplane would have gotten to DC.

Respect for loss of life, but glad it turned out the way it did, with minimal loss of life.

22 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

right where it belongs. 

I remember the day well. was working when someone said a plane hit the trade center. my first thought was a cessna must have hit it but then watched on the tv and all the flames I knew it was no cessna. then I watched as the choppers were hovering around the building looking so tiny and thought how the hell are they going to put that fire out?

not long after it was like catching something out of the corner of my eye when the second plane hit and the explosion was immense, I knew then we were being attacked. 

Gotta love those jackasses who used 9/11 sympathy to turn a profit...

Stupid song written by a huge tool.

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

The plan was to eject just prior to impact, momentum carrying the F-16s into the fuselage, and them getting rescued after a successful ejection.

Her CO was to take the cockpit, and she the tail.

There were also missile equipped airplanes in the hunt, so I don't think this airplane would have gotten to DC.

Respect for loss of life, but glad it turned out the way it did, with minimal loss of life.

Those were different times.  None of those planes had much of a passenger load.  Had they been carrying the normal loads, maybe there would have been more "acts of heroism" by the passengers?

59 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Those were different times.  None of those planes had much of a passenger load.  Had they been carrying the normal loads, maybe there would have been more "acts of heroism" by the passengers?

I don't think there was time.

One of the things that happened that day, and immediately, was the profiling of various flights.

That's why I got the messages I did, which indicated a direct threat and to defend the cockpit at all cost. 

Same type airplane, a transcon, and an unusual number of no shows.

I am very familiar with what happened to the guys on the flight decks that day, at least two of them, and there was no time for any passenger reaction.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, sherpa said:

Worst day of my life.

Just a horrible day.

...and the conspiracy theories about self infliction, etc?....SMH....how sad and twisted...........