9/11/2001 Remembered

H2o

This day, 18 years ago, is one of the days etched into your heart and memory forever. I remember where I was, what I was doing, and the state of complete shock that came over me as we huddled in the office trailer to watch the events unfold on live TV. A special prayer goes out to the friends and families of those who lost loved ones in the tragic events that took place that day. It is still hard to comprehend at times. One thing is for certain, that event changed everything and the resilience of the American people shone through. Not only did it show through among one another, it showed out to the rest of the world. 

image.jpeg.f81dc213bdda2e9f02d37eb927047b22.jpeg

Image result for NYPD 9/11

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, H2o said:

One thing is for certain, that event changed everything and the resilience of the American people shone through. Not only did it show through among one another, it showed out to the rest of the world. 

It certainly changed flying.  I used to leave half an hour from home being dropped off at airport 20 minutes before flight with carry on baggage only and still make my flight.  It can take over an hour now just to go thru security on an ordinary day with security contractors  denying harmless objects and then taking them out of throw away bin for themselves.  I forgot an item at security and went back to get it and saw security person taking item out of bin a prepackaged food package with gel candy in it I bought at airport shop.  I said that it was a conflict of interest for security person to deny me taking it and then taking item for himself and took picture with phone.  I was told that taking pictures was illegal and did they want me subject to body cavity search?  I told him thanks for comment since it also has video and would be sent to FAA and did he have any more comments speaking his name on tag for video.  At that point he stopped saying anything and threw it back in bin.  The video part was bluff but I did send picture to FAA including another package (empty) and received letter that no actions were done because not enough evidence but the item l purchased was legal (but no compensation). 

It that manner terrorists won.

20 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Time and place. This, IMO is neither.

—————————

This place (TBD) was amazing that day and in the ones that followed.

To those that lost loved ones you have my sympathy. To first responders you are true heroes and deserve to be treated as such.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

It certainly changed flying.  I used to leave half an hour from home being dropped off at airport 20 minutes before flight with carry on baggage only and still make my flight.  It can take over an hour now just to go thru security on an ordinary day with security contractors  denying harmless objects and then taking them out of throw away bin for themselves.  I forgot an item at security and went back to get it and saw security person taking item out of bin a prepackaged food package with gel candy in it I bought at airport shop.  I said that it was a conflict of interest for security person to deny me taking it and then taking item for himself and took picture with phone.  I was told that taking pictures was illegal and did they want me subject to body cavity search?  I told him thanks for comment since it also has video and would be sent to FAA and did he have any more comments speaking his name on tag for video.  At that point he stopped saying anything and threw it back in bin.  The video part was bluff but I did send picture to FAA including another package (empty) and received letter that no actions were done because not enough evidence but the item l purchased was legal (but no compensation). 

?

Stop trying to make today all about you. 

• Thank you (+1) 5

I've been watching in "real" time the ABC News coverage today; I always do, to remember those who suffered and lost their lives 18 years ago right now.

It should be required for ALL Americans to visit the 9/11 museum at least once in their lives. It's by far the most amazing and humbling museum I've ever been in.

Sadly, some I've encountered yesterday and already today don't actively remember or think about what happened....they said "oh yeah, it's 9/11 isn't it?" 

NEVER FORGET. 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember. Sitting in the Florida Highway Patrol Training Academy, watching the television screens. We had just reported to the academy the day before, and were subjected to all manner of paramilitary indoctrination techniques. As such, I woke up in a daze that Tuesday morning - not sure what to expect from my first full day of academy life. When the TVs came on and we were seeing what was happening, everything got real very quickly. The pain and discomfort that each of us were feeling were immediately eclipsed by what was going on inside those buildings and inside those aircraft. Everyday people became heroes that day.

I remember, and I’ll never forget. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Our company was located in Alameda, CA and we had a place in NJ that several people would travel to regularly.  One guy would get tickets for several days, use one and get refunds for the rest if he had to come back earlier or later than scheduled.  At about noon  on 9/11, when we were  watching the news in the lunchroom, he came in and showed us something. He had flown back on the evening of 9/10  and  had a boarding pass for flight 93  (the one that crashed in PA). If he had not  finished early and come back the night before, he would have been on that plane.

• Like (+1) 1

My 9/11 story:

I was working on an article for the college publication, in a library at the school, 10 feet away from the television.  When the first plane hit the tower, people began to watch.  When the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower, a crowd gathered.  I stopped writing, watched, and took it all in.

Fast forward to 7 years later, and my future wife and I are dating. On the 7th anniversary of 9/11, we have the "where were you?" conversation...turns out, she was in the very same library, looking at the very same television, no more than 10 feet away from me...

...and yet we did not meet for another 6 years, when she just so happened to get hired by the same company for which I was working.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I am making it about the day and the changes made successfully by terrorists.

You're really choosing the wrong thread to ruin with your crap.  Please delete your selfish posts and let this thread be what it's intended to be.  Thanks.

• Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, Gugny said:

You're really choosing the wrong thread to ruin with your crap.  Please delete your selfish posts and let this thread be what it's intended to be.  Thanks.

Deleting does no good when quoted.  And it is as important the impact on our society as it is on people involved but if you cannot see that nothing I can do.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

it's going strong and steady on PPP for those who wish to add some spice to the discussion

It took me until 2017 to be able to go to the 9/11 Museum.  I knew it would be heavy and emotional.  It was, indeed.  I've avoided any/all 9/11 TV coverage since the first "anniversary," (I honestly don't know what other word to use) and continue to do so.  Going to the museum was powerful.  It brought me back to that terrible day and made me feel the same way I did as I watched the horror unfold on live television.  The museum does a fantastic job of educating and honoring at the same time.  I'll give no specifics; I'll just highly recommend it to everyone.

Last year, we went to the One World Observatory.  Fascinating.  Going there just a year after visiting the 9/11 Museum/Memorial turned out to be a great idea.  It shows how resilient New Yorkers are.  It shows how together our country can (and should) be.  It was a positive, exciting experience and I think visiting the 9/11 Museum first really helped bring home how important One World is to New Yorkers - especially those who took part in building it.

I think it's important to remember all of those who perished and to acknowledge that there are still people dying from that attack.  I saw a powerful meme last night.  It said, "18 years ago tonight, 3,000 people spent the last night with their families."  As important as it is to never forget that horrible day, I think it's equally important to also never forget how unified this country was, albeit temporarily, in the aftermath.  It was a beautiful thing and I've never been prouder to be an American.

We can be better.  We should be better.  And we owe it, to those who died, to be better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

VVzAF68w_x96.jpg
Brian's last words to his wife Julie take us back to those hours of panic, fear, terror and, yes, love. His words serve as a reminder of the real people who, when blindsided with their own tragic mortality, chose to express the only emotion that mattered at that moment- love.

8:34 AM · Sep 11, 2019·Twitter for iPhone
  • Like (+1) 3

My wife went into labor shortly after the attacks. I had a newspaper deadline to meet and wrote this column. It went viral and was shared by hundreds of thousands coast-to-coast. My son turns 18 on Friday. I still stand by the words I wrote at the end of the piece.

http://niagarafallsreporter.com/croisdale26.html?fbclid=IwAR1KaSvM3ykXieKt9gkUA91y0EXmapdS0HcToEF4elYg51LXikjhyCtfo18

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4