What I keep hearing Bills players repeating

Buffalo716

38 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Your post makes it sound like you have never held a blue collar job. Just saying dude.

Haha, I'm at work now, middle of the night, in Los Angeles. I have had MANY blue collar jobs. Like unloading trucks in a shipping container for 10 hour days.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I dont know.  I think I've heard players of every team speak of playing "(insert team name here) football".   

I find it meaningless.

Using this standard though, what could ever be said that wouldn't be meaningless? Its football.  

I have to feed my family. 

Do your job.

The Buffalo Beels are a good football team. 

55 is the Mike!

Omaha Omaha! 

I jack my d#@! on your back! Slept with u n bed. 

All pretty much the same old hash.

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Using this standard though, what could ever be said that wouldn't be meaningless? Its football.  

I have to feed my family. 

Do your job.

The Buffalo Beels are a good football team. 

55 is the Mike!

Omaha Omaha! 

I jack my d#@! on your back! Slept with u n bed. 

All pretty much the same old hash.

?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

McD gets criticized a lot around here for the culture thing, but I have never worked for a successful organization that did not have an established culture, a mindset by which the organization does its work.  I have worked for problematic organizations who did not have that kind of mentality.  To me when the players talk about playing Bill's football they are referring to the culture McD is establishing.  That's a good thing.

+1.  Easy to ridicule but done right it's essential for enduring success. 

4 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I dont know.  I think I've heard players of every team speak of playing "(insert team name here) football".   

I find it meaningless.

I think he meant that we haven’t had players buying into the coaches and their plans for this team in a long time. Or maybe it’s because we haven’t had a coach that’s engrained it into the team in a long time. 

Either way, it may be common with other teams to hear such things. But it hasn’t happened with this team in a long time 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PIZ said:

Beane and McDermott built a team that matches the Bills fans.  They love the Buffalo Bills and believe in the team.  They play for each other and for the fans.

I dunno..........if you go in that GDT you see a lotta' quitters.:lol:    Thinking that wouldn't fly on the field.

Fans and players are different animals...........players live in the moment and fans are always worried about what everything means in the big picture.........even in the second quarter of game 1 down 6-0.

Ultimately a team that matches any fanbase is one that WINS.    Those early 90's Bills were the antithesis of Buffalo blue collar........they showed up some weeks, some weeks not.......they were constantly angling for and getting contract re-negotiations and they choked in the Super Bowl.   Yet that is the team that Buffalo fans most identify with.   Because they won A LOT.   We created a narrative of their resilience but they were just hands down the most talented team in the AFC in that stretch so they really were just taking care of business.

Sure fans love lunch pail players who are winning on cheap contracts........but that never lasts and lunch pail losers have a short life span.

What I take from this is that current Bills players want to play on this team.  That's not a small thing.  We've had a lot of players like Stephon Gilmore and Sammie Watkins who for whatever reason (good or bad) were ready to move on.   Plenty of posters here will criticize or defend them, and I don't feel like starting that rehash again.  But you can't get around that for plenty of years -- under Meathead, Gailey, Jauron, Rex, etc. -- a player had to wonder WTF he did to deserve getting drafted or waiver-claimed to the Bills.  I love hearing guys talking about what amounts to a commitment to be here.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Just awoke from the sound of thunder.

Listening to some Bills players interviews and the one thing they keep repeating is playing Bills football

Tre White, Jerry Hughes , Ed Oliver keep repeating just play Bills Football

McDermott has obviously built a team and a culture that has bought into playing Bills football and they seem genuinely excited to be apart of this team

What is Bills football? Everybody will probably have a somewhat different answer

The only thing that it needs to be... Hard Working, resilient and a winner

I think we are on our way

With autumn closing in?

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Bills Football (under McDermott), to me:

Play hard

Play smart

Play selflessly

Yep.  Basically, right out of Patrick Lencioni's book.

Their attitude is humble (play selflessly), hungry (play hard), and smart.  And they've shipped out good players that didn't meet all 3.

• Thank you (+1) 1