Rookies you wanted to draft update...

I posted a bunch pre-draft about wanting to trade down and get Noah Fant assuming Allen, Oliver, and Hockenson would be gone.  He was god awful last night.  He was a clueless blocker and did nothing in the pass game.  He looks like he has the perfect frame to be an elite pass catching TE but wow he really struggled in game 1.

The other player I wanted was TJ Hockenson as stated above.  Wow he was amazing for Detroit. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I posted a bunch pre-draft about wanting to trade down and get Noah Fant assuming Allen, Oliver, and Hockenson would be gone.  He was god awful last night.  He was a clueless blocker and did nothing in the pass game.  He looks like he has the perfect frame to be an elite pass catching TE but wow he really struggled in game 1.

The other player I wanted was TJ Hockenson as stated above.  Wow he was amazing for Detroit. 

It is just one game in, but Hock looks like the real deal, in that first game he broke the rookie TE receiving record. I think Jax Oliver had a bad hamstring pull in camp or preseason...have to look, but don't think he will be ready to go full out for a week or two. 

I know Beane really wanted Ed Oliver, but if Hock had fallen to us it would not have been "the End" as some felt. If he stays healthy he is going to post some pretty good numbers. I like our Oliver too...draft was a win/win scenario in my book the way it fell in the 1st.

Knox is not Hockenson, but he did not get the coaching at Ol' Miss that TJ received at Iowa and although his measurables were close at the combine his ceiling is still a big ? 

Sweeney has made the most of his chances and seems to have built some rapport with Allen. He throws some good blocks and does not play like the game is too big for him. Both our later round TE's may not end up game changers, but I can settle for solid contributors.

Hockenson was the guy I wanted. He seemed like the sure deal. 

I really didn't care about this draft, though. The biggest part about the draft for the last 20 years, for me, has been the quarterback. 

Now we had one and I didn't care. I told myself I'm just gonna be happy with whoever they get and trust that they're good.

Actually, I'll flip this subject and say the guy I really DIDN'T want was Oliver.

Yeah. I didn't like his attitude (at least how it was being portrayed in the media) and I figured he's just a guy riding the wave created by Aaron Donald.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, DJB said:

I was a Hockenson guy from the beginning.  It honestly is rather have Oliver and our two rookie TE who are doing well  than Hockenson and some bum DT

I wanted Hock too.  It wasn’t a knock against Oliver.  I just wanted to give Josh as many tools as possible.   I think that partnership would have been great for years to come.   But  he was not available and I’m happy with Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Hockenson was the guy I wanted. He seemed like the sure deal. 

I really didn't care about this draft, though. The biggest part about the draft for the last 20 years, for me, has been the quarterback. 

Now we had one and I didn't care. I told myself I'm just gonna be happy with whoever they get and trust that they're good.

Actually, I'll flip this subject and say the guy I really DIDN'T want was Oliver.

Yeah. I didn't like his attitude (at least how it was being portrayed in the media) and I figured he's just a guy riding the wave created by Aaron Donald.

I mean....your not wrong yet but its kinda lookin that way :)

I wanted Oliver at 9 or trade down.  Best case scenario.

I was happy with Ford rd 2

I was shocked at the Singletary pick, figuring that we would draft our rb of the future next year with shady having one year on his contract.  He was my 3rd favorite rb in the class behind Jacobs and Montgomery and I’m happy to have him.

I was really happy with the Knox pick.  He was the last TE on the board I liked.

At our pick it was Hock, Oliver or bust for me. Really happy with how it fell so far. As others have said, I think Knox and Sweeney will be serviceable if not game wreckers. Obviously too early to call anything, but certainly happy we didn't trade down and draft Fant, who I was never high on. He looked bad in preseason and he looked bad last night.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I wanted Hockenson too, but maybe we can get an elite one next year not that Sweeney and knox are bad.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I wanted Hockenson too, but maybe we can get an elite one next year not that Sweeney and knox are bad.

Knox is an unknown but who knows may be really good and Sweeney seems competent for a 7th rounder. Im okay with this. Detroit is where tight ends go to die but they just keep on picking them high ones. Trying to break that curse i guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I had wanted AJ Brown in the 2nd instead of Ford.  He had a nice debut w/ Titans against the Browns.  3 catches / 100 yds.  I was surprised they never picked a WR even as they were dropping into the 2nd/3rd rounds

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a-j-browns-explosive-debut-shows-what-hes-capable-of-as-an-nfl-wideout/

On the flip side, I did NOT want us to draft Marquise Brown.  He also had a big debut w/ Ravens

Edited by cage

I would have been happy with either, I'm glad we got Oliver. Either would make us better, but in different ways. Hoping that Knox comes along and makes us all forget where Hock was drafted. If they end up close to each other, the Bills win.

Edited by CSBill

i wanted a WR really bad but didnt think McBeane was making that move that early. I really liked Terry McLaurin (spelling?) with Washington. Could have been had in the later rounds and the kid can ball. Smooth route runner, fast, great hands. Might end up the best of the bunch.

• Like (+1) 1