Will Patriots release Antonio Brown?

BrycePaup4ever

will they release him? Not a chance. I'd be shocked.

But I will look forward to hearing the fans of opposing teams at every away stadium heckle the living bejesus out of the guy for what he has admittedly written and done in those texts.  What a scumbag. If being spit on can be considered assault the sexual equivalent 100X worse He should be convicted on that alone and Then give him the boot.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Got it now.  Sick.  In general I side with the woman's story in most instances.  

So you are in the guilty until proven innocent camp. 

Personally, I am on the side of "I was not there and don't know"

In a civil suit, one side stands to make money.  One stands too lose money and reputation.  Both have motives to either lie or tell the truth. It is the literal definition of prejudice to make a judgement based on one sides claims only. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am taking what @MAJBobby Bobby says at heart. This is a one year prove it deal, the Pats could have made it two years with no guarantees. But the option is actually better for the player and the club.

1) Player gets to know early in league year whether he is apart of club or not..no getting cut week before the season(assume there are some guarantees with the option)

2) Club gets compensatory compensation if they move on

Bills had several of these types of 1 year deals with FA's this year, this structure may be better way to go 

The thing is, it's not better for the player.  This is similar to a franchise tag, except if the team activates it, the player cannot refuse to sign it and try to force a long term deal.  They are under contract, period.   They now have no leverage to negotiate a long term deal for more money at all, there is nobody to bid against the team that owns their rights, no possibility of movement.  No player looking for a real "prove it" deal is going to give up their rights to free agency and let the team control their future, its a horrible deal for them.  Players are after guaranteed money, the more, the better.  Getting stuck to a one year deal is not in their best interests.  This is exactly why players hate the franchise tag, they get stuck with one year of guarantees and absolutely nothing beyond that.  If they get hurt, the team decides their too old, etc.  They are out on their ass with nothing.  In a long term deal, you get paid money upfront in exchange for giving up your rights to movement.   In exchange for the upfront portion, the team has you locked down to the deal at the current market value until the end of the contract, usually both sides feel pretty good about it.   The team is the only one who wins in a one year deal, their risk is minimized and they get all the benefit, even moreso with a team option, if they want out, boom its over, if they want the player they have the power to keep them at a minimum risk again, player takes all the risk.  Its stupid for a player to agree to it, which makes Brown taking less than shocking, but his agent must have pulled the wool over his eyes in an attempt to get paid himself.

1 hour ago, thronethinker said:

He masturbated and came on her back while they were watching a church video. Now that is just some very disturbing things regardless.   

I wonder if the DA can pursue criminal charges even if the accuser doesn't file a report. At this point would they need a report if the allegations are now public knowledge?

whats criminal is how does one work up a few knucklechildren looking at the back of her head watching a church video?  then on top of that how did he miss his couch?  did he make her clean it up? the couch?

am i on the wrong line of thinking?

19 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The thing is, it's not better for the player.  This is similar to a franchise tag, except if the team activates it, the player cannot refuse to sign it and try to force a long term deal.  They are under contract, period.   They now have no leverage to negotiate a long term deal for more money at all, there is nobody to bid against the team that owns their rights, no possibility of movement.  No player looking for a real "prove it" deal is going to give up their rights to free agency and let the team control their future, its a horrible deal for them.  Players are after guaranteed money, the more, the better.  Getting stuck to a one year deal is not in their best interests.  This is exactly why players hate the franchise tag, they get stuck with one year of guarantees and absolutely nothing beyond that.  If they get hurt, the team decides their too old, etc.  They are out on their ass with nothing.  In a long term deal, you get paid money upfront in exchange for giving up your rights to movement.   In exchange for the upfront portion, the team has you locked down to the deal at the current market value until the end of the contract, usually both sides feel pretty good about it.   The team is the only one who wins in a one year deal, their risk is minimized and they get all the benefit, even moreso with a team option, if they want out, boom its over, if they want the player they have the power to keep them at a minimum risk again, player takes all the risk.  Its stupid for a player to agree to it, which makes Brown taking less than shocking, but his agent must have pulled the wool over his eyes in an attempt to get paid himself.

Think this is where are speaking two different languages. The Pats most likely made a 2nd year option a condition up front. No second year, no deal. Now, they may have a tacit agreeemnt that thenPats will not pick it up, but right now they get to spread his signing bonus over two years. 

Having said that, I am sure part of the condition of the “ option” is money is guaranteed, and has to be exercised by day day 3 of league year. 

That is the part that is better than just tacking a second year on   

51 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

In exchange for the upfront portion, the team has you locked down to the deal at the current market value until the end of the contract, usually both sides feel pretty good about it.   

Of course you could do what a lot of players do get multiyear contract with signing bonus and when they are happy just sit out or fake an injury until either team gives up or they cannot afford contract for they needed to pay someone else to do job player already agreed to.

39 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Think this is where are speaking two different languages. The Pats most likely made a 2nd year option a condition up front. No second year, no deal. Now, they may have a tacit agreeemnt that thenPats will not pick it up, but right now they get to spread his signing bonus over two years. 

Having said that, I am sure part of the condition of the “ option” is money is guaranteed, and has to be exercised by day day 3 of league year. 

That is the part that is better than just tacking a second year on   

This is correct. I think the number is 20M, so if they pick up that 2nd year option it is 20M guaranteed for one year.  So it is essentially his chance to make the 29M that he tossed from the Raiders back with NE.  and NE covers themselves with not having the option so they could let him walk and put him into their Compensatory Pool.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/antonio-brown-6702/

https://overthecap.com/player/antonio-brown/1579/

This is why they will not release him, because it will be 5.5M dead cap this year and 4.5M dead cap next year.  They will play him until he is either suspended or put on the Commish Exempt list.  Either of those happen they will likely go back after the signing Bonus of 9M

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

Will say one thing Drew is really earning his money with Brown.

Just now, boater said:

Will they release: No.

Their rationale will be: It's a he said/she said situation, we'll wait for the courts to hand down an answer. Until then, he plays.

Prediction: This unfolds in slow motion and he plays the entire season.

My Prediction is that he goes on the Commish Exempt list.

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

They didn't guarantee *****. 1 Million at signing and the rest is set up as game by game checks, if he is on the team he gets paid, otherwise he's out on his ass.

Right, it costs next to nothing to release him.  I don't think AT THIS TIME they will do it.

Currently AB has his lawyers/agent doing his talking..............anyone  want to bet it stays that way?

If he keeps his mouth shut everything should be OK until this gets sorted out.

I'm betting he can't.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Right, it costs next to nothing to release him.  I don't think AT THIS TIME they will do it.

Currently AB has his lawyers/agent doing his talking..............anyone  want to bet it stays that way?

I'm betting he can't.

You are right...the temptation to be heard is too great.

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm betting he can't.

did yall see this from @MAJBobby?

Guaranteed $10M, $9M was at signing..$10 M dead cap if they cut him

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/antonio-brown-6702/ 

• Thank you (+1) 1