End of the game decisions.

chris heff

8 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I’m not disagreeing, but the result of the punt was 15 yards. What was more important field position or time? Was there a call that would have run off more time? Probably not

I hear you.  If it was a shorter FG, 35 yards or less, McD may have gone FG but in this situation he wanted his defense on the field to seal the game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is it not obvious? Tough FG. You miss it, you give the Jets a really short field for their own winning FG. Yes, I know. Vedvick would likely miss from 10 yards away, but he might have gotten lucky.

As a true Bills fan, I thought for sure that jamoke would kick a long FG to win the game as time expired, ripping my heart out once again.    

I guess I've seen that movie too many times over the years to not worry about it...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

You want Bojo dancing around back there for a few seconds? I'm cool NOT seeing that.

No I was thinking Gore running around. Probably the wrong call. I just have an aversion to punts from the 35, who did that St. Doug?

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

As a true Bills fan, I thought for sure that jamoke would kick a long FG to win the game as time expired, ripping my heart out once again.    

I guess I've seen that movie too many times over the years to not worry about it...

Yeah no kidding.  Right there with you.  Saints Texans game showed how crazy things can happen.

10 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I’m not disagreeing, but the result of the punt was 15 yards. What was more important field position or time?

With just 16 seconds on the clock, an extra 15 yards is huge. Plus, the punt took off at least as much time as a FG, if not longer, so for both criteria, the punt was the right call.

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Indeed. If getting super technical I might say just take the penalty and save the timeout but splitting hairs pretty thin at that point 

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I was about to post. Take the delay to milk every single second you can, keep the TO in your pocket in the event of a blocked punt/TD or some other Billsy situation and also give your punter a little room to work with if Gase doesn't decline the penalty.

But that's just me being picayune

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

He wanted to make sure Bojo reached the end zone.  ?

Haha.  That's what I was honestly thinking.  I was like "Why isn't McDermott taking the 5 yards and extra second?".  Then I was like, "Probably wants to be certain the punter can reach the end zone."

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, chris heff said:

No I was thinking Gore running around. Probably the wrong call. I just have an aversion to punts from the 35, who did that St. Doug?

15 yards is more important than you think in that particular situation. One long, lucky out and they have an outside shot at a field goal, or even a hail mary. God forbid Bojo actually pinned them deep, but he could have.

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

I get the punt, but I watched it three times, the ball was snapped with 16 seconds on the play clock. Why not take the penalty? Still going to kick the ball out of the end zone.

Im not sure youre looking at the clock you think you are? I distinctly remember everyone at the table talking about the time at the end of the game, and that there was a 15 second difference between the game clock and play clock. I'm pretty sure they did milk the play clock to take the game clock as low as they could.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Haha.  That's what I was honestly thinking.  I was like "Why isn't McDermott taking the 5 yards and extra second?".  Then I was like, "Probably wants to be certain the punter can reach the end zone."

I think if you want to get into McDermott's head and extrapolate something really off the wall, he might have worried there'd be an issue with the snap and the extra 5 yards could make a difference.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Im not sure youre looking at the clock you think you are? I distinctly remember everyone at the table talking about the time at the end of the game, and that there was a 15 second difference between the game clock and play clock. I'm pretty sure they did milk the play clock to take the game clock as low as they could.

But do you know if there's a 10 second runoff there for an offensive penalty? I've heard some strategists tinker around with the idea of committing a penalty on every play. Maybe it doesn't apply to a delay of game penalty.

McD has improved his game management substantially since he first became a head coach.  He made some questionable decisions in the past on the use of timeouts, replay challenges, clock management, etc.  I think that he knew he had room for improvement and he took measures to improve.  He managed Sunday's game, including the final minutes, perfectly and exactly as he should have.  He milked the play clock down as far as possible.  Yes, he could have taken the 5 yard penalty vs. the timeout, but there were good reasons for taking the timeout.  Not attempting a long FG was absolutely the right  call.  Miss that kick and you are in much greater danger of losing the game than if you punt.  Plus, even if you make the FG, you then have to kick off to the other team, risking the chance of a KO return.  A KO return for a TD is more probable than a drive for a score from the 20 yard line with 12 seconds left and no TOs.

Edited by msw2112

38 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

If it is a 25 yard FG yes you kick it.  A 52 yard kick no way.  If he misses the kick they get the ball at the spot of the FG.  They then only need to go about 20 yards to get in FG range and you risk losing the game.  You win 99.999% of the time punting the ball there.  You can't take a knee or risk an incompletion there.  You should try getting the first down running as they did. 

If it's a 25 yard FG, you're on their 7.  What you do is snap the ball on fourth down and run around as long as possible, maybe until the game clock runs out.  Even if you lose 10 yards they have no time for their offense.

• Like (+1) 2

When they are averaging 3.4 yards per play with time not on their side, you give them the long field.  You don't risk giving them a short field to get lucky with.

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

If it's a 25 yard FG, you're on their 7.  What you do is snap the ball on fourth down and run around as long as possible, maybe until the game clock runs out.  Even if you lose 10 yards they have no time for their offense.

Is that the situation where you have the entire offense clutch onto a defender each and pull them onto the ground to run out the clock?  I think I saw the Ravens do that.  Well someone did that once.

3 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

When they are averaging 3.4 yards per play with time not on their side, you give them the long field.  You don't risk giving them a short field to get lucky with.

Is that the situation where you have the entire offense clutch onto a defender each and pull them onto the ground to run out the clock?  I think I saw the Ravens do that.  Well someone did that once.

And why not?  You're only going to get one penalty for holding, and the game will be over so who cares about the penalty in the first place?

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

And why not?  You're only going to get one penalty for holding, and the game will be over so who cares about the penalty in the first place?

It would be even better if you could get the D to commit a penalty like hands to the face (trying to escape the holding) to offset the team hold and play the down again.

Just now, 1ManRaid said:

It would be even better if you could get the D to commit a penalty like hands to the face (trying to escape the holding) to offset the team hold and play the down again.

Not to mention the 6 unsportsmanlikes that are going to get called when it turns into a full field melee of pissed off division rivals. :devil:

Just now, Simon said:

Not to mention the 6 unsportsmanlikes that are going to get called when it turns into a full field melee of pissed off division rivals. :devil:

Yeah I considered that but figured that would be an "after the play" penalty and only affect field position, not replay the down.  Suspensions would help though.

Agree with the second part of the op. It isn’t a field goal situation, but you certainly run down the clock and take the penalty. Then if there are less than 4 seconds left you can simply snap the ball and run around to 00. 

I didnt understand the hurry to punt. 

Edited by ToughTasker
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

I’m not disagreeing, but the result of the punt was 15 yards. What was more important field position or time? Was there a call that would have run off more time? Probably not

Bojo skyed that kick for maximum hang time, burned 4-5 more seconds. That’s a play for the jets.