End of the game decisions.

chris heff

This may be a very short thread, but here goes. On the Bills last possession the Bills took over on downs, ran the ball three times to about the Jets 35. Why not try a 52 yard FG? Then the Jets would need a TD. I know I know, their kicker (now cut) was, to put it mildly, struggling, but why chance it? The decision is made to punt, but why not take delay of game penalty? The ball was snapped with 16 seconds on the play clock. After touch back Jets got the ball on the twenty with 12 seconds, should have been 2 or 3 seconds, just saying.

Edited by chris heff

I disagree strongly with this one.  Take the time off the clock, punt the ball out of the back of the end zone, and make them do something with under 30 seconds left to go and no time outs.  A missed FG gives them good field position, and runs the risk of a blocked kick or botched snap.  They handled this situation exactly right IMO.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I can't remember what the 3rd down play was, but if the game clock was running prior to the punt, then I agree - either take the delay of game or at least wait until it's at 0:01 before the snap.

But the decision to punt was the right one. Miss the 52-yarder and you leave the Jets in good field position when all they need is a FG. Punt it, give them a longer field, and let the defense seal the deal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I can't remember what the 3rd down play was, but if the game clock was running prior to the punt, then I agree - either take the delay of game or at least wait until it's at 0:01 before the snap.

But the decision to punt was the right one. Miss the 52-yarder and you leave the Jets in good field position when all they need is a FG. Punt it, give them a longer field, and let the defense seal the deal.

I get the punt, but I watched it three times, the ball was snapped with 16 seconds on the play clock. Why not take the penalty? Still going to kick the ball out of the end zone.

31 minutes ago, chris heff said:

This may be a very short thread, but here goes. On the Bills last possession the Bills took over on downs, ran the ball three times to about the Jets 35. Why not try a 52 yard FG? Then the Jets would need a TD. I know I know, their kicker (now cut) was, to put it mildly, struggling, but why chance it? The decision is made to punt, but why not take delay of game penalty? The ball was snapped with 16 seconds on the play clock. After touch back Jets got the ball on the twenty with 12 seconds, should have been 2 or 3 seconds, just saying.

I thought punting out of the endzone was 100% the right call. And while there were 16 second on the play clock the game clock was stopped. We let it run all the way down and then took a time out before we punted so we drained maximum time off the clock. 

The reason you don't try a field goal from 52 is if you miss it they are one decent completion from a shot to tie the game. The percentage play is punt it but make sure there is no chance of a miracle return. Let them start at the 25 and then play 1 down of solid defense plus one down of silly lateral play and get out with the win. 

The Bills played that perfectly. 

2 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I get the punt, but I watched it three times, the ball was snapped with 16 seconds on the play clock. Why not take the penalty? Still going to kick the ball out of the end zone.

The play clock was irrelvant. It was after a time out. So the game clock was stopped. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 6

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought punting out of the endzone was 100% the right call. And while there were 16 second on the play clock the game clock was stopped. We let it run all the way down and then took a time out before we punted so we drained maximum time off the clock. 

The reason you don't try a field goal from 52 is if you miss it they are one decent completion from a shot to tie the game. The percentage play is punt it but make sure there is no chance of a miracle return. Let them start at the 25 and then play 1 down of solid defense plus one down of silly lateral play and get out with the win. 

The Bills played that perfectly. 

The play clock was irrelvant. It was after a time out. So the game clock was stopped. 

You have to be right about the time out, other wise it’s stupid. I was watching condensed version must have missed it. All I saw was both clocks moving. Like I said short thread.

58 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Is it not obvious? Tough FG. You miss it, you give the Jets a really short field for their own winning FG. Yes, I know. Vedvick would likely miss from 10 yards away, but he might have gotten lucky.

• Like (+1) 1

If it is a 25 yard FG yes you kick it.  A 52 yard kick no way.  If he misses the kick they get the ball at the spot of the FG.  They then only need to go about 20 yards to get in FG range and you risk losing the game.  You win 99.999% of the time punting the ball there.  You can't take a knee or risk an incompletion there.  You should try getting the first down running as they did. 

38 minutes ago, chris heff said:

The Bills called a timeout after 3rd down.  They let the play clock run down to 1 second and there was 19 seconds on the game clock when they called timeout.  Then they punted into the end zone.  Jets 1st and 10 at their 20 with 12 seconds to go and no timeouts.  McD played it right.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

The Bills called a timeout after 3rd down.  They let the play clock run down to 1 second and there was 19 seconds on the game clock when they called timeout.  Then they punted into the end zone.  Jets 1st and 10 at their 20 with 12 seconds to go and no timeouts.  McD played it right.

Indeed. If getting super technical I might say just take the penalty and save the timeout but splitting hairs pretty thin at that point 

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

It was the right sequence,  but why take the time out?  Let the extra second run off the clock, take the 5 yard penalty and still kick it out of the end zone.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Uh yeah. I really can't believe anyone would think otherwise WRT to attempting a 52 yarder. That would have been a fireable offense. McDermott doesn't mess around with that kind of nonsense late in games. He's been solid since he's been here in terms of end of game decisions(sans the Indy punt which was really only a poor decision based on the standings.)

Edit; I think there MAY be some merit to the idea of taking the penalty because I believe there would have been a 10 second runoff. Never quite sure of that rule. I know that if the clock was stopped, it doesn't come into play. But following a run? Not quite sure if there would have been the 10 second runoff, but if that's the case, should have done that. No major problems, but I'm curious about the details of the rule in that situation.

Edited by LSHMEAB

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I’m not disagreeing, but the result of the punt was 15 yards. What was more important field position or time? Was there a call that would have run off more time? Probably not

2 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I’m not disagreeing, but the result of the punt was 15 yards. What was more important field position or time? Was there a call that would have run off more time? Probably not

You want Bojo dancing around back there for a few seconds? I'm cool NOT seeing that.