Gase preferred Mayfield and Allen over Darnold in 2018 Draft

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It does make sense but was refuted by the people in Miami. If that was the case he should have been quoted saying that in the article when he had the chance. That said, the Bills also didn’t work out Darnold,  until about a week before the draft because they also thought he was going #1 but then learned it might not happen and flew out to LA  ... I assume all the teams learned that intel at the same time 

Yeah, but it also says that Miami had no intention of trading up.  So Darnold would have to drop to them at 11, which was beyond unlikely

2 hours ago, Say When... said:

eh, i maybe believe the Mayfield part but not sure about Allen; if he was referring to pure talent I'd believe that but i'm not sure even he missed that Darnold was the most ready straight away and had the longer runway.  (for the record i think Allen will get there)

someone is just trying to fuel the fire, gosh, i though our local media coverage was prickly...

Darnold was the right pick where he was taken.

Allen was and is the better prospect.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It does make sense but was refuted by the people in Miami. If that was the case he should have been quoted saying that in the article when he had the chance. That said, the Bills also didn’t work out Darnold,  until about a week before the draft because they also thought he was going #1 but then learned it might not happen and flew out to LA  ... I assume all the teams learned that intel at the same time 

Actually the talk was Mayfield or Allen.

I ranked them Allen, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Jackson.  At this point I'm not sure I would reorder them. 

I still think Rosen has a chance to prove himself. Unbelievably he is now on the two worst rosters in the NFL in a row.

I still am not sold on Mayfield.  He started well last year then tailed off.  I always thought Jackson was a better passer than most of the media and this board thought.  But his college completion % and low Wonderlic put him last on my list. 

As for Darnold - watch any game where he was rushed in the pocket and the outcome was not good.  Maybe that is true of most college QBs.  Right now I don't think he will be anywhere close to Carson Palmer but will probably be better than Sanchez.

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Mehta is feeling pretty powerful after he took down Marrone.  I wonder who he will hire after he and his frenzied mob run Gase out of town.  Hopefully someone just as ineffective.

Hopefully Woody believes in continuity.   Gotta' give em' 3 years!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A story like this has been gase's MO for a while.

There has been a rumor that he releases info such as this to protect himself

If darnold flames out, it's an I told you so. If it works out its a look at the great work I've done

The jets/gase did this around the draft with similar things as this between Q. Williams and ed Oliver

It was always said that Darnold was the guy with the best floor so he was a safer pick. I think people know the ceiling and potential with the other athletically is better but they are wild cards. Darnold doesn’t scare me. I am more scared of Tua going to the Phins next year. The Phins and Bills will be real rivals again when that happens. 

14 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Kind of like the Bills hiring Wrex after his tire fire with NYJ.

I think the only ones to get away with hiring someone else's trash were the Pats with Billy Boy.

Billy Boy was never trash. Even with Cleveland he wasnt trash. 

JS

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hopefully Woody believes in continuity.   Gotta' give em' 3 years!  

Then they can hire some Wunderkind from New England to come in and administer the coup de grace to whatever is left of the Gase era guaranteeing 5 more years of darkness.  I think Woody and Ross have more in common than ***** taste in head coaches.  I bet Woody is DMing all of Stephen Ross's old girlfriends.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mellow1 said:

Billy Boy was never trash. Even with Cleveland he wasnt trash. 

JS

I lived in Cleveland during that time.  BB was a good coach there, but he was cold and not sentimental.  He benched and released beloved local boy QB Bernie Kosar saying he had "Declining Skills" in the beginning of his 3rd year there.  

Honestly most Cleveland fans never could forgive him for that and they didn't had a strong enough attachment to BB as he was still a young head coach and hadn't yet proven himself (6/10 & 7/9 & 7/9).  Loyalty plays very strong in Cleveland and BB is ruthless.

• Like (+1) 1