Gase preferred Mayfield and Allen over Darnold in 2018 Draft

YoloinOhio

I'm enjoying to pile-on as well.  However in all honesty, up until the last week before the draft, Darnold was assumed to be the #1 overall pick, with the others varying all over the top 10-15 pics.  See the link below where 5 of 6 draft prognosticators including Mayock have Darnold going to the Browns 3 weeks before the draft.  This is consistent with Gase' explanation of why he didn't bother working out Darnold separately.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928583/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-pick-sam-darnold

Regardless, I agree with the assessment that the NY media will this guy alive.

Edited by cage

...what's even MORE pathetically comical is the "TBD Experts Band" trumpeting their horns about...."fire McBeane....fire McDermott...now"....STILL baffled as to why Pegula (a/k/a "Clueless Owner") did not heed such sound advice....why just look at the potential "replacement garbage" that was on the street.....pretty effin' bad when Waste Management 'says "no thanks"......

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Its better for football when there are lots of good QBs. Much more fun to watch

I don't know about that.

It was real fun to watch Tyrod run around like a chicken with his head chopped off.

Even more fun when he did it for the Browns ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting.

This would match up with the reports (published before Gase was hired in NY) that Gase was 100% all in on the Browns job, and only began considering the NYJ once it was made clear the Cleveland wasn’t hiring him. 

22 minutes ago, cage said:

I'm enjoying to pile-on as well.  However in all honesty, up until the last week before the draft, Darnold was assumed to be the #1 overall pick, with the others varying all over the top 10-15 pics.  See the link below where 5 of 6 draft prognosticators including Mayock have Darnold going to the Browns 3 weeks before the draft.  This is consistent with Gase' explanation of why he didn't bother working out Darnold separately.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928583/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-pick-sam-darnold

Regardless, I agree with the assessment that the NY media will this guy alive.

It does make sense but was refuted by the people in Miami. If that was the case he should have been quoted saying that in the article when he had the chance. That said, the Bills also didn’t work out Darnold,  until about a week before the draft because they also thought he was going #1 but then learned it might not happen and flew out to LA  ... I assume all the teams learned that intel at the same time 

38 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I don’t have anything nice to say about Gase, but this piece is a pure hatchet job. Mehta should be ashamed. 

Mehta is feeling pretty powerful after he took down Marrone.  I wonder who he will hire after he and his frenzied mob run Gase out of town.  Hopefully someone just as ineffective.

• Like (+1) 1

I seem to recall that there were rumors prior to the draft that Cleveland also liked Mayfield and Allen over Darnold as well. I still believe that all three will have solid careers. And I also would like to say that while the Jets front office were waiting on Bell to agree to terms Beane was going out and signing OL help and some good WR's in Brown and Beasley. Bell is a good player to be sure but in the long run Singletary may prove to be the better choice at RB. If this season goes down the tubes for the Jets I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets clean house once again.

6 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Who gives a ****? He wasn't the coach last year and Baker wasn't falling past first...jets tabloids having fun with their turmoil is cool I guess

During most of the pre-draft process, it was not believed mayfield would go #1. The teams evaluating the QBs looked at all of the top 4 as top 10 prospects. Darnold was, for awhile, believed to be destined to the Browns but Allen was also discussed there. Mayfield didn’t emerge as their guy until about 48 hours before the draft.