Gase preferred Mayfield and Allen over Darnold in 2018 Draft

YoloinOhio

And this is a day after he publicly criticized every unit on his team like nothing was on the coaching staff. 

Never understood how this guy became known as a quarterback/offensive guru - I think he was just luck to ride on Peyton Mannnig's coattails. 

May be one and done in Gotham for Gase.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Say When... said:

eh, i maybe believe the Mayfield part but not sure about Allen; if he was referring to pure talent I'd believe that but i'm not sure even he missed that Darnold was the most ready straight away and had the longer runway.  (for the record i think Allen will get there)

someone is just trying to fuel the fire, gosh, i though our local media coverage was prickly...

Darnold was the right pick where he was taken.

It wasn’t about the right pick for the Jets - it was about his evaluation as a Dolphin HC.

They mention in the article that some of it may be that he knew Darnold was going before the Dolphins pick - where as they were not sure if Allen and/or Mayfield might make it to their pick.

He also states that nothing Darnold did WOWED him - not that he would fail, but that he was good at a lot of things, but not great.

It just ends up being a bad look long term on a team with a questionable overall relationship between the HC and the team.

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

My thought exactly, haha. He seemed to have a difficult time during his presser yesterday, getting kinda snippy and short with them. He's a putz. Might be a decent X's and O's kinda guy but he's got like, zero leadership ability. He reminds me of Josh McDaniels in that he believes he's the smartest guy in any room. (For any insight on McDaniels, check out "Slow Getting Up" a book by Nate Jackson, a WR/career special teamer who played under McDaniels when he coached in Denver). He also believes he doesn't have to answer to anyone or justify anything he does. Don't expect your players to take accountability when it's clear you can't take it yourself. 

Both he and Mcdaniel are classic examples of coordinators who have no business trying to be head coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Say When... said:

eh, i maybe believe the Mayfield part but not sure about Allen; if he was referring to pure talent I'd believe that but i'm not sure even he missed that Darnold was the most ready straight away and had the longer runway.  (for the record i think Allen will get there)

someone is just trying to fuel the fire, gosh, i though our local media coverage was prickly...

Darnold was the right pick where he was taken.

The article says that Gase declined multiple attempts to be interviewed about his QB evaluations for the 2018 draft class. He certainly could have addressed this to allow his actual opinions to be in the article and chose not to. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Golly, this is going to go so well

I really hope the Browns blow out the Jets because that may simply pop the circus bubble,  The Jets have all of the makings of an epic sideshow.  It will let loose if they start losing consistently.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

There was a previous report that he did not want Leveon Bell too, because he didn’t believe in paying a RB that much $

He also struggles to use the RBs consistently- which is part of the issue he had in Miami.

They had good RBs, but no consistent running game - much like what we saw in game 1.  Bell played every snap on offense, but was only used on a small fraction of plays.

Unnamed sources are now reporting that Gase was hoping to get the Browns head coaching job instead of the Jets and to show his loyalty there is video of him out there taking a whiz on a new gang green Jets cap.

...yes, yes, I know it is hard to believe, but true...unnamed sources are using the phrase "taking a whiz".

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It wasn’t about the right pick for the Jets - it was about his evaluation as a Dolphin HC.

They mention in the article that some of it may be that he knew Darnold was going before the Dolphins pick - where as they were not sure if Allen and/or Mayfield might make it to their pick.

He also states that nothing Darnold did WOWED him - not that he would fail, but that he was good at a lot of things, but not great.

It just ends up being a bad look long term on a team with a questionable overall relationship between the HC and the team.

you caught me, i didn't read the article as i focused on the quote in the OP stating 'clearly better' and "an affinity for Allen over Darnold" so i took it at face value.

my best buddy is a Fins fan and i remember him bringing this up last year during the draft so yes, if the entire article is based around who they could plausibly get, the OP led me to believe it was based on talent/skill assessment.

I still believe Darnold is an excellent product, Gase needs to get past his own ego and make this right and get that kid rolling, he's brimming with potential.

Edited by Say When...

And the voices in darnolds head continue...its great

whisper whisper whisper your coach doesnt want yooou.

psst your coach doesnt think your good enough.

heeeeey sam the first losss is allll yooooour faaault.

he will throw you all under the bus...dont trust hiiiim

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The timing makes sense right between the Allen and mayfield games. The problem for Gase is that Manish went to his old pals in Miami for the dirt and I’m sure they had no problem dishing it.

This just seems like a shot at Gase just for the sake of taking a shot at him. I don’t have a problem with it though.

Just now, Bangarang said:

This just seems like a shot at Gase just for the sake of taking a shot at him. I don’t have a problem with it though.

Its manish Mehta so he usually has an agenda. Gase should have gone on the record for the article to control the narrative. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This would make perfect sense.  I remember hearing that Miami (along with Arizona) was one of the team rumored to be interested in Allen.  I think at the time, the jury was still out on Tannehill due to injury so that probably was enough to prevent any type of move

1 minute ago, Say When... said:

you caught me, i didn't read the article as i focused on the quote in the OP stating 'clearly better' and "an affinity for Allen over Darnold" so i took it at face value.

my best buddy is a Fins fan and i remember him bringing this up last year during the draft so yes, if the entire article is based around who they could plausibly get, the OP led me to believe it was based on talent/skill assessment.

I still believe Darnold is an excellent product, Gase needs to get past his own ego and make this right and get that kid rolling, he's brimming with potential.

Not a problem - I had to read it a second time to get everything because I skimmed it first time through.

The only thing they know for certain was the Dolphins brought in both Mayfield and Allen and did not bring in Darnold.  The “rumor” is (like many others) he fell in love with Mayfields arm and Allen at the Senior Bowl, but it is hard to know the exact feeling on Darnold other than the current reports saying he was not wowed.

My guess is now that he has to address it - there will be some spin about how he though Darnold should have been #1 and therefore it made no sense to scout, but knowing Gase - he might just ignore this and let it fester until it bleeds through into more reports like this.