Gase preferred Mayfield and Allen over Darnold in 2018 Draft

YoloinOhio

It was the worst-kept secret in the Dolphins’ building. Gase believed that Mayfield, who rolls into town with the Browns for a Monday night showdown against the Jets, was clearly better than Sam Darnold, according to sources familiar with the situation. In fact, people in the know revealed that Gase had more of an affinity for Josh Allen than Darnold too.

The Dolphins didn’t schedule a private workout on campus with Darnold or bring him in for a visit, because Gase simply didn’t think he was as good as Mayfield and Allen.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-adam-gase-sam-darnold-baker-mayfield-josh-allen-20190910-zxmkfq7a7fdgbcs5u4ncwoti6q-story.html

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

LOL - this gets better and better.

Maybe he can still get Rosen into the building and change his attitude.

?

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

If Gase can’t turn Darnold into a Matt Ryan type of QB that is on him. The talent is there, he just needs good coaching. 

I’m very happy the Jets hired Gase though, I could see this team turning into a dumpster fire really quickly. They have had a poorly run organization for years. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

LOL - this gets better and better.

Was he both a right Josh and a Wrong Josh fan over Darnold too.  Maybe he can still get Rosen into the building.

?

He didn’t like Rosen but they said he was oddly fascinated with him and used colorful metaphors  to describe him :lol:

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

There is no way Gase survives the N.Y. media.

My thought exactly, haha. He seemed to have a difficult time during his presser yesterday, getting kinda snippy and short with them. He's a putz. Might be a decent X's and O's kinda guy but he's got like, zero leadership ability. He reminds me of Josh McDaniels in that he believes he's the smartest guy in any room. (For any insight on McDaniels, check out "Slow Getting Up" a book by Nate Jackson, a WR/career special teamer who played under McDaniels when he coached in Denver). He also believes he doesn't have to answer to anyone or justify anything he does. Don't expect your players to take accountability when it's clear you can't take it yourself. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

eh, i maybe believe the Mayfield part but not sure about Allen; if he was referring to pure talent I'd believe that but i'm not sure even he missed that Darnold was the most ready straight away and had the longer runway.  (for the record i think Allen will get there)

someone is just trying to fuel the fire, gosh, i though our local media coverage was prickly...

Darnold was the right pick where he was taken.