Bills used 21 personnel more than any other team in the league in week 1

Logic

43 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This is also counting it as a two TE offense, with Smith or Knox already out there. You bring Sweeney in instead of DiMarco I highly doubt they bring in an extra DB. He's a rookie and known as a blocker and not for his speed. It's still the same defense IMO.

The idea is you line up with dimarco in the backfield with gore - if they give you a look you like you can just snap it.  If they stack the box, or stack their line inside, you just spread it out and identify the matchup.  Sweeney is not lining up in the backfield as a FB, so its a different look that you'll get.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Not at all .... 

Then what's your response to dave shooting down your ignorant hypothesis about Gilbride and TE usage?

1. You didn't know the Bills weren't running the run and shoot in 2003........which is absurd.

2.  You were obviously just angry that I pointed out the similarity of that 21 personnel heavy team and what we saw Sunday so you just made up some sh*t to argue with me.

There it is.

I’d like to see them try it with Gore/Singeltary in the backfield together. Or even a TE as an H-back type of player.

Would be a little more dangerous than putting DiMarco out there, Although he did have a couple decent catches.

I really believe they’ll be much lore like a New England where they have similar routes/plays they run, but change up the personnel and formations they run those plays out of every week based on their opponent. 

16 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The idea is you line up with dimarco in the backfield with gore - if they give you a look you like you can just snap it.  If they stack the box, or stack their line inside, you just spread it out and identify the matchup.  Sweeney is not lining up in the backfield as a FB, so its a different look that you'll get.

I agree but it is the same thing. If he is in and inline or as a wingback on one side you are in a two TE running set, with one back. It can go to either side. If they line up and stack the box, the same exact thing occurs, and you can split him out to either side, which is what they did with DiMarco. Then the D is faced with either a LB or a S out there to cover him depending on the D they called. There is seemingly no difference, except you have a threat, Sweeney.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This is also counting it as a two TE offense, with Smith or Knox already out there. You bring Sweeney in instead of DiMarco I highly doubt they bring in an extra DB. He's a rookie and known as a blocker and not for his speed. It's still the same defense IMO.

I don’t know - they might or thy might not have stayed he same.  For me if the Bills lined up with 1 RB/2 TE (Sweeney/Knox) - I would bring in an extra DB (Safety) to cover Knox - much more likely to be passing formation, but the Jets may have also stayed base. 

What we do know is that using DiMarco did keep them in base and accomplished what Daboll and JA wanted to get for looks. 

The hate for Dimarco is so confusing to me. What exactly has he done or not done for so many people to demand he leave the team? They even want non-fullbacks to line up as a fullback just so we don't play Dimarco.

Here's an idea: maybe the best one on the team at playing fullback is ... the fullback.

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

The hate for Dimarco is so confusing to me. What exactly has he done or not done for so many people to demand he leave the team? They even want non-fullbacks to line up as a fullback just so we don't play Dimarco.

Here's an idea: maybe the best one on the team at playing fullback is ... the fullback.

I think that a large portion of fans do not like him or want him as you say, and an equally large portion like him and want him they just do not want to see him on 50% of the offensive plays, and especially split out SO much because he is no threat. He's great on ST and a great process and locker room guy. I don't hate him at all, I just don't like that trade off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree but it is the same thing. If he is in and inline or as a wingback on one side you are in a two TE running set, with one back. It can go to either side. If they line up and stack the box, the same exact thing occurs, and you can split him out to either side, which is what they did with DiMarco. Then the D is faced with either a LB or a S out there to cover him depending on the D they called. There is seemingly no difference, except you have a threat, Sweeney.

Depending on how the D lines up though, you're looking at likely getting a hat on mosely in the hole vs. him free running into the gaps if there is no lead blocker.  Difference of a few yards on a running play most likely - especially with gore.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Depending on how the D lines up though, you're looking at likely getting a hat on mosely in the hole vs. him free running into the gaps if there is no lead blocker.  Difference of a few yards on a running play most likely - especially with gore.

With an extra TE to one side I imagine an interior OL gets Mosley and Sweeney gets the OLB. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

With an extra TE to one side I imagine an interior OL gets Mosley and Sweeney gets the OLB. 

I guess?  I think a lot of it has to do with forcing the defense to make on the fly adjustments.  They line up I or offset and see what they get, if they don't like it then motion.  

I know you can do the same thing with the TEs but we may prefer running out of I or offset I in those situations.  Could also be something we saw on greggo's film that makes the checks really easy and obvious to read.  

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Ultimately the reason that a second TE is the modern replacement to a FB "21 personnel" is because your passing game is definitely better off with the extra TE.

Are you better off in the run game with a FB than an extra TE?   Not in most circumstances.