Considering moving to east coast (maybe Buffalo) from CA. What should I know/consider

Reader

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

I have a 7 bedroom house in Saratoga county Ny 

4 hours from Buffalo 

the great Saratoga race course 20 minutes away. 

Beautiful Lake George hour drive 

not to far from nyc or Boston or Montreal 

that I would be willing to sell you.  

Lots of rooms to have more kids. 

Also has an Inlaw apartment 

Virginia is awesome. Son lives there. 

Come visit sit see if you like it.  

Do you accept Meadcoin?

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Consider the Carolinas.  Wilmington by the ocean or Asheville in the mountains.

Anyone live in Asheville?  On my list for possible retirement. Drawbacks: does it have enough music, theatre, draw national acts, etc?;  not that close to major airport (Charlotte two hours) and wish there were lakes for boating. 

I would suggest Indianapolis or Columbus, OH. Both are nice cities to raise families, great schools, low taxes, and have super low cost of living. Winters are easy— not too much snow. Columbus is cool because it’s similar to DC in that you have a lot of transplants.

(i personally think Pittsburgh is better, but I’m trying not to be a homer ? ).

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Anyone live in Asheville?  On my list for possible retirement. Drawbacks: does it have enough music, theatre, draw national acts, etc?;  not that close to major airport (Charlotte two hours) and wish there were lakes for boating. 

Add all that and it won’t be cheap any more!

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

I once got punched in the face in West Virginia by a Dallas Cowboys fan because I was wearing a Buffalo Bills coat.

Sorry about that.  I apologize for all Bills fans in WV.  And there are many.  Alas, there are many more Cowboy fans, most of whom

have a collective IQ of 30.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

My brother lives in Asheville, have friends in Cary NC (Cary = containment area for relocated yankees according to the locals.) Asheville consistently 8-10 degrees cooler in the summer which makes it livable to go outside. Parking in the city sucks. Micro-brew heaven if you like that. Plenty of local culture if not national. Heard something on the radio probably 15 years ago about the cities with the happiest women in the US. Asheville was one of the three mentioned.

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

My brother lives in Asheville, have friends in Cary NC (Cary = containment area for relocated yankees according to the locals.) Asheville consistently 8-10 degrees cooler in the summer which makes it livable to go outside. Parking in the city sucks. Micro-brew heaven if you like that. Plenty of local culture if not national. Heard something on the radio probably 15 years ago about the cities with the happiest women in the US. Asheville was one of the three mentioned.

Who the hell wants to go to a place where the women are already happy? 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Add all that and it won’t be cheap any more!

Certainly a lot of trade-offs. Suggestions welcome. 

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

The weather, breweries, dining, outdoors, cost are all very attractive. I live near two major cities so the amenities might be hard to give up.