Considering moving to east coast (maybe Buffalo) from CA. What should I know/consider

Reader

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Are you sure it was the coat?

Well .... the coat led to the discussion that led to me getting decked.  One punch and I was flying into a bunch of tables.  He got kicked out of the bar and I was okay.  Woke up the next morning with a black eye and a fat lip.  Can't believe he didn't break my nose.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Well .... the coat led to the discussion that led to me getting decked.  One punch and I was flying into a bunch of tables.  He got kicked out of the bar and I was okay.  Woke up the next morning with a black eye and a fat lip.  Can't believe he didn't break my nose.

Careful, slick, or we’ll risk seeing you in the ‘punchable faces’ thread.

I have a 7 bedroom house in Saratoga county Ny 

4 hours from Buffalo 

the great Saratoga race course 20 minutes away. 

Beautiful Lake George hour drive 

not to far from nyc or Boston or Montreal 

that I would be willing to sell you.  

Lots of rooms to have more kids. 

Also has an Inlaw apartment 

Virginia is awesome. Son lives there. 

Come visit sit see if you like it.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m in the Rochester burbs. God knows I’m one to B word about taxes, but I’d never be able to afford the house I live in if it was in another area of the world.  Our house did need some remodeling which we’re doing now, but you be shocked by what we paid for the house considering what we got. 

Edited by teef

38 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Been in Virginia since 1985 and wished I could move since.

Weather in winter is not as bad as in WNY but I still had more than one week where I could not leave home in winter for roads were not cleaned.

There were times on trip to Buffalo when the worst weather we encountered was leaving or returning.

Ice storms are often pretty bad and if you are near water flooding as well.

Power outages are not uncommon.  One local one was caused by them putting up new poles for power and leaving old poles up.  One of the old poles fell knocking down power lines.

Summer in last two decades has become muggy days with temperatures in 90s almost every day.

46 minutes ago, mead107 said:

4 hours from Buffalo 

Sounded good up till then!

• Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, mead107 said:

4 hours from Buffalo 

My wife’s uncle had a condo in the downtown area of Saratoga where we could walk to the racetrack. What an awesome town.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Reader said:

Hey TBD community. I was wondering if I could get your opinions/advice.

Background, I work an online position and as such have the ability to live anywhere in the United States. My wife currently is stay at home with our 15 month old daughter. We both really like having her not work and we're thinking of moving from California (we're both native Californian's so we have a lot to learn about weather) possibly to the east coast. I was curious as to your thoughts as to where might be good places to look into.

We're looking for somewhere that stays relatively cool by East Coast standards and prefer to be near water. We're homebodies and don't need to be in a major city either.

As someone who has lived in both places.......WHY?

Love Riverside....

3 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Several friends of mine here in DFW work online from home, and they love it.

The only thing that I would recommend for you is to work in a location that has a job market conducive to your line of work. If you are ever laid off or fired or quit, being stuck in East Podunk, Maine isn't going to help your job search.

What type of work do they do?  I have a friend who wants to do that.  I'd also consider it in a year or two.