Tony Gonzalez turned down trade to the Bills?

18 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

I remember hearing that. But keep in mind, when this happened, I believe it was the week before the Chargers game in 2008 with Trent Edwards, who looked pretty good at the time. So I don’t know if the issue was winning as we were 4-1 at that point I think. Maybe he just didn’t want to move further north?

Edit- found this link. I guess it was between us and the packers, so I assume he just preferred GB. But it fell apart at the last second when KC upped their asking price to a 2nd

https://thepowersweep.com/blog/packers-tight-end-tony-gonzalez-chiefs-2008-trade

I believe what we're talking about is the offseason of 2006 when Gonzalez was looking for a new team.  He moved from Atlanta to KC.

The above is talking about a trade from KC to GB while he was under contract with them.

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

What if the money's equal? I'm just trying to call a spade a spade. I love Buffalo, but money being equal, most players are gonna prefer a different locale. That's my opinion as I stated earlier. I guess you'd have to do some kind of anonymous poll. It doesn't mean you can't win. Who REALLY wants to live in Green Bay? Yet they've been a consistent winner. As you stated, they've done this by having franchise QB's. That's the key for us IMO.

If the money is equal, players are going with the winning franchise. The preferred free agent location narrative is overplayed imo. Can anyone really answer what cities every free agent wants to play in ? I’d think Miami would be near the top of that list, but they are such a dysfunctional franchise no one wants to play for them. It really all comes down to money and/or winning. This franchise hasn’t struggled with signing free agents as much as the common narrative would lead one to believe. 

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe what we're talking about is the offseason of 2006 when Gonzalez was looking for a new team.  He moved from Atlanta to KC.

The above is talking about a trade from KC to GB while he was under contract with them.

I think he declined a trade to buffalo in 2008, and the article I posted mentions that, as well as GB. Because the GB part of the deal fell through, KC kept him until he was a FA in the offseason, where he signed with Atlanta in 2009