Tony Gonzalez turned down trade to the Bills?

5 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

Yeah it was actually when we looked like we would be good in 2008 I think we were 5-1 at the time and Gonzo nixed coming here. 

We didn’t look near as good as the record and I suspect most knew it

4 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This was a big story back then. Yes.

Yup. It was very much public knowledge at the time.

I honestly don't blame a H.O.F player still in his prime , coming to a dysfunctional franchise at the time. 

All this stuff just makes me appreciate the Pegulas , Beane and McDermott. I think we struck gold with these men. I'm getting early 90s vibes from this team and where it's headed, even though I was an infant back then. Love the 2019 Bills

Bills forever regardless

Buffalo will never be the most popular landing spot for players, which does in fact put the GM at a competitive disadvantage. This is why drafting well is SO important for this franchise. It's one of those things that we are all aware of, but some choose to irrationally contort themselves into believing there is no truth to it. 

BUT....If we draft well and have an exciting QB, that could certainly change the dynamic. We've got to have a few more things going for us than most teams to become an attractive destination. The objective should be to make those things happen.

Edited by LSHMEAB

8 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I just heard Tony Gonzalez on radio with Colin Cowherd. He was talking about AB and mentioned that when he went from KC to Atlanta, the Bills tried to get him to come there but he declined.  That is the first I have heard of that. Was that common knowledge?

Yes, I remember it was reported at the time we tried to get him here and he wasn't interested. 

That was 2009, Jauron's last year, Trentative Edwards at QB.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Buffalo will never be the most popular landing spot for players, which does in fact put the GM at a competitive disadvantage. This is why drafting well is SO important for this franchise. It's one of those things that we are all aware of, but some choose to irrationally contort themselves into believing there is no truth to it. 

BUT....If we draft well and have an exciting QB, that could certainly change the dynamic. We've got to have a few more things going for us than most teams to become an attractive destination. The objective should be to make those things happen.

Some players care what city they play in.  The vast majority just want the money.  Lynch wanted out and he was a drafted player.  Mario Williams, Takeo Spikes, and Morse were all considered top players at their position when they were signed.  

Multiple ways to build a team but none of them work without finding a QB.  The best way is to draft a star QB that is great from the outset and therefore cheap in relative terms leaving plenty of cap space to build a team.  Not so easy to do but if Allen is the franchise QB there will be plenty of cap space in the next two years to build a championship team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Some players care what city they play in.  The vast majority just want the money.

What if the money's equal? I'm just trying to call a spade a spade. I love Buffalo, but money being equal, most players are gonna prefer a different locale. That's my opinion as I stated earlier. I guess you'd have to do some kind of anonymous poll. It doesn't mean you can't win. Who REALLY wants to live in Green Bay? Yet they've been a consistent winner. As you stated, they've done this by having franchise QB's. That's the key for us IMO.

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup very true...sadly for me, I was not born and raised in B-lo, and never even been there.  I chose this pain when I lived in 49er country with the hey day of Montana and then Young...hahaha

And lol on Zay, which grab you referring to...the -2 yard one or the 20 yard one on his way to 2 rec (on 5 targets) and 18 total yards on a day Allen threw 37 times hehe :nana: 

But only to guys on the opening day roster ? 

• Haha (+1) 1