Tony Gonzalez turned down trade to the Bills?

I remember hearing that. But keep in mind, when this happened, I believe it was the week before the Chargers game in 2008 with Trent Edwards, who looked pretty good at the time. So I don’t know if the issue was winning as we were 4-1 at that point I think. Maybe he just didn’t want to move further north?

Edit- found this link. I guess it was between us and the packers, so I assume he just preferred GB. But it fell apart at the last second when KC upped their asking price to a 2nd

https://thepowersweep.com/blog/packers-tight-end-tony-gonzalez-chiefs-2008-trade

Edited by billsfan5121
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We sucked back then, so yeah I would have too.  

I agree.  I am definitely not hating on him for the decision, I was just surprised I never heard that before.  He didn't say it as a dig on Buffalo by the way. Cowherd made the statement that AB had no control over being traded to the Raiders and Gonzalez used the Buffalo example to say that some players, like him and AB, can control where they go in a trade.  He was basically saying if Brown didn't want to go to Oakland in the first place, he could have said no.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We sucked back then, so yeah I would have too.  

Alpha, unless we were born and raised here...man, we probably all would have.

BTW, nice grab by Zay on Sunday.

?  

EDIT:  Why I love this board?  because no one jumped on me for accidentally spelling would w-o-o-d an hour ago.  ?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree.  I am definitely not hating on him for the decision, I was just surprised I never heard that before.  He didn't say it as a dig on Buffalo by the way. Cowherd made the statement that AB had no control over being traded to the Raiders and Gonzalez used the Buffalo example to say that some players, like him and AB, can control where they go in a trade.  He was basically saying if Brown didn't want to go to Oakland in the first place, he could have said no.

Yeah which is why I think its false and silly to assume AB orchestrated his way to NE from while he was still in Pitt.  I fully believe he started down this path once him and Mayock butted heads though, but I think initially he was fine going to Oak and that its a stretch for anyone to say he planned this from before he was traded anywhere.  

• Like (+1) 1