Diabolical Daboll - Is he our evil genius?

PlayoffsPlease

I could be way off on this....but to me it looks like he is biulding our offense like what a patriot offense would look like.....

Even our cannon armed Josh Allen is starting to throw short game passes......we got a amedola type WR.......we got TE's that we can run 2 TE sets out of.......we run a platoon back type system......

I am not saying Josh Allen is Tom Brady....they are actually very different QBs....but it looks like the rest of the offense is similar.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Analysis: Why were the Buffalo Bills passing so much to open the game?

Opponent Breakdown

The strength of the Jets defense is very clear: it goes straight up the middle. The defensive tackle combo of Leonard Williams and rookie Quinnen Williams can be one of the best in football. 

C.J. Mosley just signed the richest contract for a linebacker in history. Jamal Adams is a stud, and his safety partner Marcus Maye deserves accolades as well.

On the other hand, the outside of the defense is a clear weakness. Starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson struggled with speed in last year’s matchups, and his partner is former undrafted free agent Darryl Roberts.

Edge players like Henry Anderson, Jordan Jenkins, and Tarell Basham are a lot less threatening than most players the Bills will encounter this season.

An effective game plan, then, would attack the perimeter of the Jets defense, preserve the middle of the pocket, and pass first to open running lanes later in the game. That’s how the Bills started.

Conclusion

Brian Daboll’s been saying his scheme would be matchup-based for months, and we saw the latest glimpse of that today. The Bills combined the pre-snap shifts from his flavor of the Erhardt-Perkins offense with their new-look offensive personnel.

The team now has versatile tight ends who can block or release into routes, they have all-around threats at running back, and they have receivers with the speed to win in man coverage and the savvy to decipher a zone. Sunday’s gameplan was a poetic juxtaposition against the 2018 Bills offense.

Instead of running receivers who couldn’t challenge any defense, Daboll spread out the field and challenged the Jets defenders to keep up.

One feature from Sunday, which we didn’t see last year because the offense was so bad, was Daboll’s decision to aggressively target the same aspect of the defense until it adjusted.

It reminds me of former Street Fighter champion David Sirlin, who once used the same attack 18 consecutive times to win the finals of a tournament. If he sees a mismatch, why not exploit the hell out of it until the opponent adjusts?

It’s a very Belichickian tactic, and something I’ve sought for years from a Bills offensive coordinator.

I love the simplicity of the underlying strategy - we will attack your weakness repetitively until you respond and stop us from doing so.  It’s too bad that the Bills with turnovers stopped themselves until late in the game.  However, Dabol seems to be on to a real plan with players who can execute.  Interesting comment about TE’s as the Bills were quiet in obtaining them.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Of course, throwing the ball more lends itself to a higher chance of fluke turnovers but knock on wood,, we got those out of our system Week 1.

Can we please not use that phrase here.

:D

ETA:  Yep, Daboll is starting to put my fears at ease.

Edited by stosh64
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Gregg Roman did a good job with what he had to work with.

Roman had great RUN designs, but awful for pass plays. Overall good plays, but bad game day play calls. A weird combo if I ever seen one!

What Dabbol manages to do that Roman didn't is adapt to the defense withOUT losing his offense identity. Roman was so focused on the defense that he forgot that his players need to know their own styles, where they stand. They're not just breathing chess pieces.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm not sold on him either.

I just hope the team continues to throw the ball like crazy.  

I fear they will not, b/c of how things went in the first half on Sunday.  I hope I'm wrong about that!

Because the Bills moved the ball in the first half is a good reason to think they will remain a pass heavy against the woeful Giants pass defense. 

21 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Roman had great RUN designs, but awful for pass plays. Overall good plays, but bad game day play calls. A weird combo if I ever seen one!

What Dabbol manages to do that Roman didn't is adapt to the defense withOUT losing his offense identity. Roman was so focused on the defense that he forgot that his players need to know their own styles, where they stand. They're not just breathing chess pieces.

Roman did well with Tyrod Taylor.

I thought the first half play calls where borderline insane, not because they were all passes, but they were not all that successful.

Running into the strengths of the D w Gore made no sense either.  Singletary obviously hit holes that he wasn't scheduled for, unless he hasbt been coached to have the ball in the right hand, which I doubt.

23 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

He's growing on me. Daboll is not like any OC we have had in a looooong time. And that is a good thing.

23 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I actually really enjoy his passing schemes, he really seems to have a knack for scheming receivers open. 

He reminds me of Chan Gailey whose schemes made QB, WRs and RBs look better.

22 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I was actually rather appalled at the offensive play calling in the first half. I was thinking at the time that it looked like a preseason game where they were evaluating the passing game, and not doing much to game plan for the defense they were facing. And, I think that certainly contributed to a 16 point deficit in the first half.

When they came back out, the adjustment was made, and we ran a far more balanced offense, and it showed. It's a lot harder to defend against a balanced attack. I suspect that had we run a balanced game plan in the first half, Singletary may not have had such a huge YPC, as the Jets did not match our adjustment But I think he would have had more yards for the game, and we would have won the game more handily.

There were run options but Allen choose to go pass option every time when he did not run.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, blacklabel said:

I'm good with him. He's going to adapt the offense week to week based on the deficiencies of the defense they're facing. Opponent can't stop the run? They're gonna hand the ball off 40 times. Can't stop the pass? They'll throw it 35 times, etc. He's trying as much as he can to follow the Patriots model of being an offense that can morph and change based on who they play. I don't think they'll get quite the same success as NE considering the disparity in playmakers but I get the approach and am interested to see if they can consistently pull it off.

A point to consider when comparing the Bills' offense efficiency with that of the cheaters  ...heck for any team vs the cheaters ... BB and TB have been there running that same offense for more than a decade!  They have a familiarity and level of consistency that is rarely ever seen in professional sports (along with the cheating).     

The Bills are in Year 2 of installing this offense. And in many ways, due to all the new players, you could call it Year 1 of installing the offense.  It will take years to even approach the cheaters level of consistency. 

• Like (+1) 1