Diabolical Daboll - Is he our evil genius?

PlayoffsPlease

2 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I am not 100% sold on Daboll.  Having said that, how can any opponent game plan for a foe who ran almost 100% pass plays in the first half, and then drew up plays for a rookie RB to run for 70 yards in the second half. 

Did you start this thread just to advance your nickname for our OC?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5

I was one of the raving pitchforks mob last year, early on calling for his scalp--I'm glad management paid me no heed. I think he's been good for Josh, and I value the continuity so far. There's no doubt he develops creative concepts around his personnel, and your point about the unpredictability is well made. Isn't that some of the learnin' he absorbed from Darth Vader's school of situational football week in, week out, where you always are keeping opposing D's off balance with new wrinkles despite what you showed on film the week before?

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm not sold on him either.

I just hope the team continues to throw the ball like crazy.  

I fear they will not, b/c of how things went in the first half on Sunday.  I hope I'm wrong about that!

Me too. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm good with him. He's going to adapt the offense week to week based on the deficiencies of the defense they're facing. Opponent can't stop the run? They're gonna hand the ball off 40 times. Can't stop the pass? They'll throw it 35 times, etc. He's trying as much as he can to follow the Patriots model of being an offense that can morph and change based on who they play. I don't think they'll get quite the same success as NE considering the disparity in playmakers but I get the approach and am interested to see if they can consistently pull it off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm not sold on him either.

I just hope the team continues to throw the ball like crazy.  

I fear they will not, b/c of how things went in the first half on Sunday.  I hope I'm wrong about that!

Completely agree on the throwing aspect.  Josh looked good and we were moving the ball.  You can't create game plans based off the worry a bunch of fluke turnovers will occur. 

Of course, throwing the ball more lends itself to a higher chance of fluke turnovers but, knock on wood, we got those out of our system Week 1.

He's good at the classroom part..building the plays, a plan.

He's still learning when to deviate from the plan in the game when the defense has adapted to what he wants to do.

He will need four plans for NE because they will adapt every single quarter. They don't wait till halftime. 

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

Flukes and bad luck plays even out when you catch a break occasionally. Like the interception nullified by a Jets penalty,

We had one pick called back on penalty.  One pick dropped by the defender.  One legit turnover where Josh needed to protect the ball better on the strip sack.  Jets kicker cost them 4 points.

We had a fluke pick six.  A fluke fumble on the Center/QB exchange in plus territory.  A fluke tipped pass interception.  A personal foul that took us out of FG range on Feliciano when Mosley was taunting Allen.  A questionable Safety that gave the Jets 2 points and starting position around the 40 for their only scoring drive. 

That game was bizarro world in the amount of bad luck plays we had.  Definitely did not even out.

Edited by SCBills

Isn't anticipating that the opponent is going to focus on trying to stop what worked in the first half when the teams come out after half time EXACTLY what a competent OC should do?   Daboll's first half game plan was excellent because the weakness of the Jets' defense is it's secondary, and Daboll exploited that.  If not for the 4 TOs, the Bills probably would have been up 10 or 14 to zip on the Jets going into the locker room at the break.   Daboll anticipated that the Jets would attempt to find a way to shut down the passing game in the second half and countered with calling more runs, which eventually opened up the passing game again.   It's less brilliance and more competence -- and a lot better execution.

Allen seems to be a much improved passer this season, which is a credit to Ken Dorsey. He seems to be much more accurate, especially on the shorter passes.  He's also improved as a QB, making much better decisions, which is a credit to both Dorsey and Daboll.   It's one thing to look good in preseason when there's no defensive scheming and lots of scrubs playing, but it's entirely different when a QB looks good when games count. 

• Like (+1) 1

JA was slicing them up ala Tom Brady until the strip fumble.. I liked the early passing attack. No one saw that coming, unfortunately just had some bad luck and things didnt quite bounce our way. That said, Singletary has to be more involved going forward. The kid can end up being really special. Throw him out wide and keep dimarco blocking in backfield or on the bench please if you really need a RB out there in those formations.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Analysis: Why were the Buffalo Bills passing so much to open the game?

Opponent Breakdown

The strength of the Jets defense is very clear: it goes straight up the middle. The defensive tackle combo of Leonard Williams and rookie Quinnen Williams can be one of the best in football. 

C.J. Mosley just signed the richest contract for a linebacker in history. Jamal Adams is a stud, and his safety partner Marcus Maye deserves accolades as well.

On the other hand, the outside of the defense is a clear weakness. Starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson struggled with speed in last year’s matchups, and his partner is former undrafted free agent Darryl Roberts.

Edge players like Henry Anderson, Jordan Jenkins, and Tarell Basham are a lot less threatening than most players the Bills will encounter this season.

An effective game plan, then, would attack the perimeter of the Jets defense, preserve the middle of the pocket, and pass first to open running lanes later in the game. That’s how the Bills started.

Conclusion

Brian Daboll’s been saying his scheme would be matchup-based for months, and we saw the latest glimpse of that today. The Bills combined the pre-snap shifts from his flavor of the Erhardt-Perkins offense with their new-look offensive personnel.

The team now has versatile tight ends who can block or release into routes, they have all-around threats at running back, and they have receivers with the speed to win in man coverage and the savvy to decipher a zone. Sunday’s gameplan was a poetic juxtaposition against the 2018 Bills offense.

Instead of running receivers who couldn’t challenge any defense, Daboll spread out the field and challenged the Jets defenders to keep up.

One feature from Sunday, which we didn’t see last year because the offense was so bad, was Daboll’s decision to aggressively target the same aspect of the defense until it adjusted.

It reminds me of former Street Fighter champion David Sirlin, who once used the same attack 18 consecutive times to win the finals of a tournament. If he sees a mismatch, why not exploit the hell out of it until the opponent adjusts?

It’s a very Belichickian tactic, and something I’ve sought for years from a Bills offensive coordinator.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He still needs to work on the right personnel in on the right calls. 

Example- The deep out to Zay is NOT what Zay does. That’s a play for Brown, Foster(when healthy) or even McKenzie. 

..of course.....but fair to say that with Josh & Dawkins the only returning starters, there will realistically  be a learning/familiarization curve for both coaches and players?....