NFL.com Power Rankings 2019.09.10

Seems fair. 

We should've have won the game, but we gutted out a win & showed some serious resolve.

Granted the Jets aren't the most formidable opponent, but a win is a win. And our defense showed some SERIOUS badassery, and if they stay healthy, will be a scary unit for any team to face.

And despite the offensive playcalling seeming pretty bizarre with wanting to only pass the ball for half the game, the plays they ran were actually pretty good. You can see WR's getting open, getting separation, and really challenging the Jets secondary. Allen hung on to the ball too long most of the game, missed some open looks, and obviously turned the ball over way too much, but the plays themselves weren't stupid.

That being said, we DEFINITELY need to run the ball more. The more we can put on Singletary  & the less focus on Allen, the more successful we'll be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'll take 17 right now.  The first step to building a winning program is winning the games you should win, the next step is winning more of the tossup type games, of which I count this as one.  The Jets are going to be a middle of the road team, 7-9 maybe?  This week, the Bills should win against the Giants.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Seems fair. 

We should've have won the game, but we gutted out a win & showed some serious resolve.

Granted the Jets aren't the most formidable opponent, but a win is a win. And our defense showed some SERIOUS badassery, and if they stay healthy, will be a scary unit for any team to face.

And despite the offensive playcalling seeming pretty bizarre with wanting to only pass the ball for half the game, the plays they ran were actually pretty good. You can see WR's getting open, getting separation, and really challenging the Jets secondary. Allen hung on to the ball too long most of the game, missed some open looks, and obviously turned the ball over way too much, but the plays themselves weren't stupid.

That being said, we DEFINITELY need to run the ball more. The more we can put on Singletary  & the less focus on Allen, the more successful we'll be.

Now that Daboll has seen what Singletary can do under pressure, expect more run calls to loosen up pass coverage.  Im really looking forward to Sunday :)

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

How did I know the Dolphins were number 32. I highly doubt they relinquish that position at all this season

Write-up on Dolphins is actually pretty funny.... "Are we the only team that won't get to experience FitzMagic?"

• Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

There are 15 teams with a W

There are 15 teams with a L

There are 2 teams with a T

So... Buffalo is the worst of the 15 winners AND the Cards and Lions?????

Idjits 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Seems fair.

see above

OH ESPN  you never fail

22. Buffalo Bills (1-0)

Preseason ranking: 25gn-arrow.png

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27569994/week-2-nfl-power-rankings-1-32-poll-plus-best-rookie-team

7 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Idjits 

see above

Well, the teams above us in the rankings - and not the Cards (30) and Lions (27) - are the Bears (11), the Steelers (14), the Texans (15) and the Panthers (16).

Doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Steelers might be questionable after such a bad loss, but they often start the season slowly. I think arguments can be made for each of the other to still be above us, after close games against tough opponents.

Besides, it's a power ranking. It's all only based on opinion anyway. And it's only one game in the season, and we did do our best to lose a game in the first half.

I think it's a fair assessment.

Edited by Simstim
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simstim said:

Well, the teams above us in the rankings - and not the Cards (30) and Lions (27) - are the Bears (11), the Steelers (14), the Texans (15) and the Panthers (16).

Doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Steelers might be questionable after such a bad loss, but they often start the season slowly. I think arguments can be made for each of the other to still be above us, after close games against tough opponents.

Besides, it's a power ranking. It's all only based on opinion anyway. And it's only one game in the season, and we did do our best to lose a game in the first half.

I think it's a fair assessment.

Opinion / assessment.  Not a proper ranking.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm ok with 17.  Beat the Giants on Sunday and we should move up to around 10-12.   Especially if our Defense looks like they did against the Jets, and our Offense is more 4th Quarter vs the Jets and less first down, first down, first down, implode.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Opinion / assessment.  Not a proper ranking.  

I agree.

But there really isn't any such thing as a power ranking without that.

I thought the Hanzus' rankings were fairly fair. That's all.

Otherwise our ranking is equal first. Which is fine. But not much fun.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Idjits 

see above

OH ESPN  you never fail

22. Buffalo Bills (1-0)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27569994/week-2-nfl-power-rankings-1-32-poll-plus-best-rookie-team

Not all wins and losses are created equally... A win is a win in the standings but gutting out a game where your offense gave up 4 turnovers doesn't make you a world beater.  Just like beating the Dolphins doesn't carry much weight since they're intentionally trying to lose.

On the flip side the Texans losing to the Saints in a shoot out where both looked great carries more "power" and credit for those teams. 

We backslid to victory carried by two missed kicks and a defensive effort which only allowed 8 points.  Our offense was net 9 points on the day.  We lost the turnover battle -4.  

There's a lot for us fans to feel good about in pulling a victory out like that but I don't expect an intern at ESPN who generates this crap from boxscores and reading 10 other power rankings on the internet to give us much credit.  Is anyone really surprised???

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Idjits 

see above

OH ESPN  you never fail

22. Buffalo Bills (1-0)

Really don't get why people think so highly of the Cards.

Two points:

1) Power Ranking threads are about the most distilled example of confirmation bias and the hostile media phenomenon that there are in non-political online spaces. In fact, I use these to teach these concepts to students all the time. 

2) These are like the first couple of weeks of college basketball rankings in that they are largely still based on preseason rankings. If they keep winning, they will climb.

• Like (+1) 1

Seems about right for the Bills.

How they have the Seahawks, who almost lost to their #30 team last week (at home, no less), ahead of Baltimore, who demolished the #32 team, is a head scratcher. How the Seahawks move up after that performance even more so.

• Like (+1) 1