Schein: Nine most alluring developments of Week 1

ProcessYaDigg

6 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

Forgive me, as I was a child in the 90’s, and I see how Thurman, Jim, Bruce and co are all still friends  now a days, but weren’t the Bills teams of the era known as the “bickering Bills.” Some of you guys that were actually really following the team at the time have any input on this?

I was there . The bickering Bills was just one year when they were just starting to get good. When they started winning they stopped fighting. I remember that year. Thanks for bringing back memories.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Or did the Pats look better than they really are against a sorry looking Steeler team?

My Magic 8 Ball says "both of these things are true"

No matter how good our D is, a good or great offense will make us pay for as many miscues and mistakes as we made.  Yeah, we won't always get unlucky tips and bounces to go the other team's way, but we won't always get dropped INTs and INTs called back on penalty either.  So if we play as we did against the Jets, against any solid team, we can chalk up an L.

On the other hand, I predicted at the end of last season that the Steelers were on a steep slope down.  Pity - if they could have healed the bickering, they could have been good for a while.  I predict that NE is going to look amazing against Miami and against the Jets.  At that point, my hope is that they believe their own PR and start looking at the Skins.   It has happened before.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My Magic 8 Ball says "both of these things are true"

No matter how good our D is, a good or great offense will make us pay for as many miscues and mistakes as we made.  Yeah, we won't always get unlucky tips and bounces to go the other team's way, but we won't always get dropped INTs and INTs called back on penalty either.  So if we play as we did against the Jets, against any solid team, we can chalk up an L.

On the other hand, I predicted at the end of last season that the Steelers were on a steep slope down.  Pity - if they could have healed the bickering, they could have been good for a while.  I predict that NE is going to look amazing against Miami and against the Jets.  At that point, my hope is that they believe their own PR and start looking at the Skins.   It has happened before.

there is 0.0% chance they look past the Bills game (a division rival) and ahead to a game against a mediocre NFC East team.

38 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

They were all young and newly together and , frankly, Kelly was a bit of a prima Donna/ punk. He was towards the city and towards his teammates. 

Thurman put him in his place( deservedly so) and then they had a players meeting where they got their beefs with each other put. I’m sure Marv played the father figure and they all loved him.

After losing in the AFC championship game to the Bengals with an “almost” comeback using the no huddle, they came out the next year ,K Guns blazing, and winning soothes a lot of aches and fosters a lot of camaraderie.

As I think back, that first year was the famous “ Down giving him the business” call when Kelly’s O line let a defender punk him and didn’t do anything about it. An example of how the team was not together at the start.

Hi Boy! 

The "Giving him the business" game was 1986, Kelly's first year with the Bills and the year Levy took over as HC.  Also at that point Kelly's teammates quickly piled in.

The Bickering Bills year was 1989.

The AFC Championship game vs. Bengals was 1988, after which hopes were sky-high. 

In retrospect, I think 1989 had to happen for the next 4 years to happen.  The Bills had to learn that they won or lost as a team and they had to stick together at least publically.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hi Boy! 

The "Giving him the business" game was 1986, Kelly's first year with the Bills and the year Levy took over as HC.  Also at that point Kelly's teammates quickly piled in.

The Bickering Bills year was 1989.

The AFC Championship game vs. Bengals was 1988, after which hopes were sky-high. 

In retrospect, I think 1989 had to happen for the next 4 years to happen.  The Bills had to learn that they won or lost as a team and they had to stick together at least publically.

It was a while ago?

I don’t recall Kelly getting help from anyone, just linemen standing there watching and Marv dressing them down for it. 

Not saying I’m remembering correctly. The older I get the more I realize memory is unreliable.

Just watched, they definitely piled on .

Edited by Buffalo Boy

The Bickering Bills were the 89 team.  The 88 team was dominant on D and should have made the super bowl which they could have won against the 10-6 miners had they not dropped 3 of 4 to close the season to finish 12-4 and lose home field.  The 89 team was predicted to be dominant, even better than 88, but finished 9-7 about as poor a record as was possible.   Most people blamed the drop off on the bickering amongst the players.  Marv Levy blamed the drop off on Art Still, who had one last dominant year as a run stopper DE in 88 (Marv called him the best run stopper of all time)  but who’s play dropped off precipitously in 89 according to Marv. 

5 hours ago, iinii said:

We should know more in three weeks. That game was business as usual for NE. They are 12-3 against Big Ben? Are the Steelers sorry or just sorry looking in Foxboro? The Pats “warm” up with Miami and the Jets. 

Buffalo should beat a sorry looking Giants’ team but the Bengals aren’t going to be an easy out. The Pats will tell us a lot more about this team. McDermott, Frazier and Daboll better have something cooked up for this one. 

The bolded concerns me.  These guys don't seem to adjust to the opponent the way Belichick does.  There may be a few wrinkles here and there, but for the most part, it is the same from week to week.

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The bolded concerns me.  These guys don't seem to adjust to the opponent the way Belichick does.  There may be a few wrinkles here and there, but for the most part, it is the same from week to week.

I know. But, who does? Adjust like the Hoodie does. He pulls all the strings. The OC and DC are de-facto and he is the GM. Cherry picking AB just adds to it. 

4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

That's kind of ridiculous because if the Bills were down 19 instead of 16, they would have approached the playbook differently. That's not to say they would have been successful. It's just saying that if you are going to introduce a "Yeah, but..." into the equation, than ALL "Yeah, buts..." have to be accounted for, which is a ridiculously stupid way to look at games in the first place.

"Yeah, but...if Dalton doesn't throw that TD on fourth down last year..."

"Yeah, but...if Clay only hauls in that TD pass last year...":

I'm convinced people who live with the "Yeah, buts..." just need to be unhappy all the time.

Not to mention, how do you know a competent kicker makes that field goal? I'm watching competent kickers miss easy stuff all the time these days.

You can go on and on with the "What ifs?" 

Lucky bounce off of Beasley right into Mosley's hands for the easy 6. Jet's did virtually noting without the tip ball turnovers.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SoTier said:

Maybe you should have stayed up past your bedtime to watch the Pats butt-whoop the Steelers on Sunday night.   The Pats aren't the offensively inept Jets.  If you think the Bills can give up 4 TOs and still beat the Pats, you are delusional.  FTR, if the Jets had a competent kicker -- he missed a  FG in the first half -- they would have won the game 19-17.

And if Beasley didn’t play hot potato with the football the Bills would have won 17-12.

We can play this game all day.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1