Schein: Nine most alluring developments of Week 1

ProcessYaDigg

51 minutes ago, Jobot said:

So difficult to gauge this team based off one game.  If they blow out the giants, then there is a possibility that this team could be special.

And if it’s close win and not a blowout? 

When teams do special things in a season there is always one game or moment of extreme adversity that they overcome.  The Jets game was extreme to the max.  That was a helluva comeback that shouldn't really have happened with a -4 turnover margin.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

Forgive me, as I was a child in the 90’s, and I see how Thurman, Jim, Bruce and co are all still friends  now a days, but weren’t the Bills teams of the era known as the “bickering Bills.” Some of you guys that were actually really following the team at the time have any input on this?

Almost two full years into their initial success, yes, they were the Bickering Bills. 

It wasn't like they were bad and bickered, and then stopped and then became good.  Sure, it was prior to the Super Bowl years, but you are correct.

47 minutes ago, mannc said:

So do you think the Bills would have just tried to run out the clock on that last possession, down 19-17?   

In all fairness, The game would have been a lot different if the Jets had the lead when they got the ball back after the Bills (actual go ahead) TD.  They would have been running instead of passing, trying to get the Bills to use their timeouts and trying to leave as little time on the clock as possible for the Bills to try to get into FG range.  If the Jets were able to get a 1st down or 2 running, and they do have one of the NFL's top RBs, they might have run out the clock and kept the ball out of the Bills hands.  Bottom line is you can't revise one part of a game without changing everything else.  A different leader on the scoreboard produces vastly different events on the field near the end of the game.   

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And if it’s close win and not a blowout? 

Close win or loss, then I see them as still working to gel as a team (especially offense), and I'd be looking towards the 2nd half of the season for them to hopefully turn the corner.  Which is where I was going into week 1 and where I still am today.  So a blow out win over the Giants pushes me a little closer towards EXPECTING them to beat NE week 4.

51 minutes ago, mannc said:

So do you think the Bills would have just tried to run out the clock on that last possession, down 19-17?   

Maybe he should've stayed up past his bedtime and watched the Bills Jets first half. I mean if he's going to mention the missed FG than why not the missed extra point? So your question to him probably should be do you think the Bills would have just run out the clock on that last possession, down 20-17. I'll save you the trouble because he'll probably reply yes.?

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Or did the Pats look better than they really are against a sorry looking Steeler team?

We should know more in three weeks. That game was business as usual for NE. They are 12-3 against Big Ben? Are the Steelers sorry or just sorry looking in Foxboro? The Pats “warm” up with Miami and the Jets. 

Buffalo should beat a sorry looking Giants’ team but the Bengals aren’t going to be an easy out. The Pats will tell us a lot more about this team. McDermott, Frazier and Daboll better have something cooked up for this one. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, H2o said:

I'm taking this season one week at a time this year. I always try to look ahead and over the last 20 years it has mainly been disappointment. Let's go back to NJ this week and try to get to 2-0 against the Giants. I too have said I felt this team was special, that we would make the playoffs, and actually win a playoff game this year. Now that the season is on I'm not saying a word except let's take care of this week and worry about the next when it gets here. 

That is my mindset too, but I have to admit this team under McBeane mgmt has me glued to each game.

Just feels different than the meh I had for most if the drought years....knowing they would either get blown out, or find a way to cave in.

They are a tough group, have no sh*ts to give about the past, and are going to go out there and work to make their own mark.

1 and 0 and the only thing on the to-do list is game plan and execute to beat the G-men. Taking it one game at a time.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Close win or loss, then I see them as still working to gel as a team (especially offense), and I'd be looking towards the 2nd half of the season for them to hopefully turn the corner.  Which is where I was going into week 1 and where I still am today.  So a blow out win over the Giants pushes me a little closer towards EXPECTING them to beat NE week 4.

I'm expecting a blowout win vs the Giants unless the Giants double the time of possession over the Bills by running Barkley until he drops.  The Giants have no WRs if Shepard is out (Tate is still suspended) & their D is pretty bad.  The only way the Giants stay close is total ball control, trying to make this a carbon copy of Super Bowl XXV.  

Therefore, I'll take a blowout for what it is, a good win against one of the NFL's worst teams.  It won't give me any confidence we can beat NE.  In fact, if the Bills don't blowout the Gants, I fear a serious butt kicking by the Patriots.  A Giants game blowout will only indicate we're playoff contenders, still not ready to join the elites.  

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'm expecting a blowout win vs the Giants unless the Giants double the time of possession over the Bills by running Barkley until he drops.  The Giants have no WRs if Shepard is out (Tate is still suspended) & their D is pretty bad.  The only way the Giants stay close is total ball control, trying to make this a carbon copy of Super Bowl XXV.  

Therefore, I'll take a blowout for what it is, a good win against one of the NFL's worst teams.  It won't give me any confidence we can beat NE.  In fact, if the Bills don't blowout the Gants, I fear a serious butt kicking by the Patriots.  A Giants game blowout will only indicate we're playoff contenders, still not ready to join the elites.  

Agreed, blowout = playoffs is realistic expectation . Close-win = team still needs to make improvements to get there.  For beating PATs, I just meant it pushes the needle a little closer towards that becoming an expected win, but definitely doesn't move it all the way.

3 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

Forgive me, as I was a child in the 90’s, and I see how Thurman, Jim, Bruce and co are all still friends  now a days, but weren’t the Bills teams of the era known as the “bickering Bills.” Some of you guys that were actually really following the team at the time have any input on this?

Yep!  The stuff mentioned in the OP, all under the category of "gumption" is just nonsense repeated over and over by fans.

Were we all expecting the team to stay on the sidelines and refuse to take the field for the second half, because the game wasn't going well?  You know, they are paid to go out there and play.  Pretty well, too.

What fans need to keep in mind is this game was never out of hand, and never felt out of hand.

Any team in the league would have continued playing.

The key here is not that we have gumption.  

The key is we are a much better team than the Jets.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Bickering Bills was more of the late 80’s as all the personalities came together and learned how to coexist with each other. Once they jelled it tuned into the great teams of the 90’s. 

I think they just co-existed.  I have spoken to a few players from those 90s teams, and the common refrain is always: "those weren't teams; they were a collection of players."  Pretty disappointing to hear.  

9 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Agreed, blowout = playoffs is realistic expectation . Close-win = team still needs to make improvements to get there.  For beating PATs, I just meant it pushes the needle a little closer towards that becoming an expected win, but definitely doesn't move it all the way.

A blowout would be nice but getting the win is the most important thing. I don’t think they have to blow the Giants out to prove that they are a playoff team. The game is on the road. It is only the second game of the season. Much to be figured out for everybody. Just win the game

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

They are your brothers of course your going to disagree or fight once in while but now you need to do it behind closed doors as the media/fan microscope is intense.

I picked 3-1 to start but I will take 4-0 ;)

The cap would be in a frenzy if they beat the Pats:)