Schein: Nine most alluring developments of Week 1

ProcessYaDigg

36 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Maybe you should have stayed up past your bedtime to watch the Pats butt-whoop the Steelers on Sunday night.   The Pats aren't the offensively inept Jets.  If you think the Bills can give up 4 TOs and still beat the Pats, you are delusional.  FTR, if the Jets had a competent kicker -- he missed a  FG in the first half -- they would have won the game 19-17.

R E L A X.  

:censored: the Steelers 

:censored: the Partiots

and :censored: the troll Partiots fans 

24 minutes ago, krf139 said:

I swear, Pegula must have some sort of side deal with this guy to go nuts about the Bills.

Schein has been high on the Bills.  there are some other(s) who even said the Bill would win the division.  (not Schein) 

21 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

first of all, who is saying there will be 4 turnovers?

another one of those so called bills fans giving a reason why the bills should of lost instead of being happy for the win. 

kissing their ass are you? I mean, who gives a ***** what they did last week. you bowing down to them shows a lot about you. I don't give a ***** what they did to the steelers. it wont be the same at new era in three weeks.

those like you that suck up to them and bow down are some of the worst so called bills fans.

:worthy:  so you bow down to them, get down there now, bow down. 

get em tiger  :thumbsup:

what they did last week. you bowing down to them shows a lot about you.

:worthy: 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Codyny13 said:

Forgive me, as I was a child in the 90’s, and I see how Thurman, Jim, Bruce and co are all still friends  now a days, but weren’t the Bills teams of the era known as the “bickering Bills.” Some of you guys that were actually really following the team at the time have any input on this?

As others have noted the bickering Bills reached it's height in 1988/1989 - BEFORE they made the Super Bowl run.  In fact that 1989 team didn't come close to being as good as their talent warranted in part due to the bickering.

I believe that one of the factors that contributed to the Bills going to 4 straight Super Bowls was that they largely stopped bickering and became family during that period.

• Like (+1) 2

Reading the Schein’s article, I was reminded of that famous line from Winston Wolf in ‘Pulp Fiction.’ So let’s not start blanking each other’s blank quite yet, ok? 

I don’t even want to think about 4-0 until we go 3-0 and we have to get to 2-0 before we can do that. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm also skeptical about the Bills going 4 - 0 to start the season.  I would be thrilled with 3 - 1 start and 2 - 2 would be acceptable.  I think the Bills offense will be a work in progress through the first half of the season. 

IMO, the Giants are a dangerous team at home; the Bengals are much better then people thought and New England is new England.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, dayman said:

LOL a win over the Pats. We will not beat the Pats this year. 

I'm wondering if anybody will. Could be another 16-0 season for them, realistically. 

Baltimore has a chance. Your instinct tells you that Belichick will shut down that Lamar Jackson offense, but remember that Greg Roman / the other Harbaugh and Colin Kaepernick ran an extremely similar style of offense and won in Foxborough during CK's peak years. 

KC is the next best chance, but just like the playoffs, that game will likely come down to whosoever has the ball last. 

Bills might be one of the best defenses they play this year. Not many other teams are going to keep that offense in check. The question is can our offense have enough success without turnovers to go point for point with such a stacked team? I like the bold prediction, but I'm more comfortable saying we go 3-1 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Maybe you should have stayed up past your bedtime to watch the Pats butt-whoop the Steelers on Sunday night.   The Pats aren't the offensively inept Jets.  If you think the Bills can give up 4 TOs and still beat the Pats, you are delusional.  FTR, if the Jets had a competent kicker -- he missed a  FG in the first half -- they would have won the game 19-17.

Two of the TO's were flukey bounces. One was a communication error between Josh and a new center he has never played a game with, nor had morr than a couple practices with. And one was ALL Josh Allen. 

Do you think we will get all the flukey bounces to go against us for the rest of this season? If so, maybe you should sit this season out and pick up a new hobby...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I'm wondering if anybody will. Could be another 16-0 season for them, realistically. 

Baltimore has a chance. Your instinct tells you that Belichick will shut down that Lamar Jackson offense, but remember that Greg Roman / the other Harbaugh and Colin Kaepernick ran an extremely similar style of offense and won in Foxborough during CK's peak years. 

KC is the next best chance, but just like the playoffs, that game will likely come down to whosoever has the ball last. 

Bills might be one of the best defenses they play this year. Not many other teams are going to keep that offense in check. The question is can our offense have enough success without turnovers to go point for point with such a stacked team? I like the bold prediction, but I'm more comfortable saying we go 3-1 

Baltimore played Miami and KC's D might be worse than last year... no, it IS worse than last year.

i love the optimism and i am right there eating it up but the Pats*** are set for a 16-0 season and this team(Bills), especially, won't be beating them, as they were in week 1, let alone having AB in their arsenal.

Sure, the Steelers seemed disinterested Sunday night but they are still a good team and were whooped 6 ways; Pats*** center issue?  what center issue? still have plenty of firepower and now the addition of AB, regardless of how crazy anyone thinks that was just a show so he could get to where he wants, he'll settle down and fall in line with the Patriot way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Still butthurt over the Bills coming back to win, huh?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Forgive me, as I was a child in the 90’s, and I see how Thurman, Jim, Bruce and co are all still friends  now a days, but weren’t the Bills teams of the era known as the “bickering Bills.” Some of you guys that were actually really following the team at the time have any input on this?

The Bills were known as the Bickering Bills just before the Super Bowl years. There was a lot of in house fighting. Bruce Smith almost signed with Denver, Jim Kelly and Chris Burkett had a feud, Robb Riddick had drug allegations, Jim Kelly was criticizing the OL on a daily basis, Thurman Thomas called out Kelly, and former Bill Greg Bell was running his mouth from afar. The whole period reached its peak at the end of the 1989 season when Ronnie Harmon dropped a sure TD in the end zone against Cleveland in the playoffs. The Bills of course went home. Harmon was gone after that. The following year, things calmed down and the Bills began their SB run...not that things didnt happen...just not as much.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The bickering was really in the late 80s portion of the team. Coaches were fighting, Kelly called out "House" Ballard for missing a block that led to a shoulder injury. Kelly later called out Ronnie Harmon's pass catching ability. Thurman then went on the Darryl Tally Show and called out Kelly for calling out other players. A few days later Kelly & Thurman had a joint press conference with both apologizing for calling out teammates. After all that they just seemed click together and the rest is history. Below are some articles about it all.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/10/10/Kelly-says-Ballard-should-shoulder-the-blame/2687623995200/

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/10/24/Bills-assistant-coaches-in-fist-fight/6372625204800/

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/6/20/2228738/bickering-bills

https://oklahoman.com/article/2298955/bills-thomas-kelly-apologize-for-feud

Total jerk move by Kelly when he threw Ballard under see the bus like that. Especially because he threw a TD pass on that very play!

Not surprising given how big of an Ahole Kelly was back then. 

That said, it was when Kelly made amends afterward and began hosting his weekly postgame parties at his house that they really became a tight knit group. Maybe that “bickering” was meant to happen. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, K-9 said:

Total jerk move by Kelly when he threw Ballard under see the bus like that. Especially because he threw a TD pass on that very play!

Not surprising given how big of an Ahole Kelly was back then. 

That said, it was when Kelly made amends afterward and began hosting his weekly postgame parties at his house that they really became a tight knit group. Maybe that “bickering” was meant to happen. 

I agree. As far as the best players on the team were concerned, it was Kelly that needed to change, he had become a spoiled brat. But to his credit he did change his ways as he grew older and wiser. I would think Marv helped him in this department big time.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Two of the TO's were flukey bounces. One was a communication error between Josh and a new center he has never played a game with, nor had morr than a couple practices with. And one was ALL Josh Allen. 

Do you think we will get all the flukey bounces to go against us for the rest of this season? If so, maybe you should sit this season out and pick up a new hobby...

The MILFHUNTER speaks the truth, gents! YE OLE was far more encouraged by the first half offense than many seem to be. They were moving the ball up and down the field with relative ease by utilizing the short to mid range passing game. Some of the bounces that went against us that played into the miscues are not going to happen every week. IF the offense continues to come out and push the ball the way they were able to against the Jets with short-mid range passes, Allen is going to be very difficult to defend. 

People around the league won't take notice of this game, but it's quite telling. For a team to go on the road, go -4 in turnover margin (last play of the game notwithstanding) including a pick six, and take a safety, and still come out on top is not insignificant. For all of the talk about the Jets letting one get away, they only lose that game under those circumstances if they're completely outmatched. We have typically been on the other side of that equation for 2 decades (ie the Dallas Monday Nighter).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I agree. As far as the best players on the team were concerned, it was Kelly that needed to change, he had become a spoiled brat. But to his credit he did change his ways as he grew older and wiser. I would think Marv helped him in this department big time.

Kelly finally did come around, and of course the community embraced him. A far cry from the Jim Kelly who didnt want to come to Buffalo in the first place. As fans we started to get spoiled...we expected the Bills to win every week...there wasnt as much doubt back then.

Edited by Rocket94

They were until they weren't. 

3 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

The MILFHUNTER speaks the truth, gents! YE OLE was far more encouraged by the first half offense than many seem to be. They were moving the ball up and down the field with relative ease by utilizing the short to mid range passing game. Some of the bounces that went against us that played into the miscues are not going to happen every week. IF the offense continues to come out and push the ball the way they were able to against the Jets with short-mid range passes, Allen is going to be very difficult to defend. 

People around the league won't take notice of this game, but it's quite telling. For a team to go on the road, go -4 in turnover margin (last play of the game notwithstanding) including a pick six, and take a safety, and still come out on top is not insignificant. For all of the talk about the Jets letting one get away, they only lose that game under those circumstances if they're completely outmatched. We have typically been on the other side of that equation for 2 decades (ie the Dallas Monday Nighter).

^^this

i've held back this statement as i want to be respectful to all but the above is as true as it gets.  You don't walk into another teams stadium, spot them 4 TO's (2 within scoring range), 16 points and still beat them unless you are the better team plain and simple.  Sure, there's potential 'meltdown' scenarios but the Jets aren't that undisciplined; the Bills woke up, realized what they had to do and executed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

No, there’s little to no comparison to the 90’s Bills here. There’s no League MVP Thurman, no DPOY in Bruce, no Andre or Lofton, no Hanson or Bennett. I don’t see a Wolford here either. 

I get what you’re saying, but that group was a collection of I, Me, Mine guys, with a dorm monitor as HC. That’s not what’s going on here. At all.

A better comparison might be the 1998-99 Buffalo Sabres team that went to the Cup finals.   

Aside from Hasek, they were a bunch of lunch pail guys who played well as a team...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Say When... said:

^^this

i've held back this statement as i want to be respectful to all but the above is as true as it gets.  You don't walk into another teams stadium, spot them 4 TO's (2 within scoring range), 16 points and still beat them unless you are the better team plain and simple.  Sure, there's potential 'meltdown' scenarios but the Jets aren't that undisciplined; the Bills woke up, realized what they had to do and executed.

Agree, but because it’s “week 1” there’s still a need to remain a bit skeptical. It’s encouraging though, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The first week is just to fluky with top players getting their first game action, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

So do you think the Bills would have just tried to run out the clock on that last possession, down 19-17?   

• Haha (+1) 2