Josh Allen's "awful" 1st half...THIS is the article to read

eball

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

If we get 1st drive Josh and 4th Quarter Josh for 4 quarters next week.... then the Giants better watch out. I feel like he needs a day like that. A real complete performance to change the narrative. I thought Sunday showed real progress in those spots in the short and intermediate game. 

Yep. I hope we see a continuation of that progress against the Giants. Next you’d like to see him sprinkle in some of those big plays from last year in there and wallah we have a top 10 QB.

Probably 80-85% of all games come down to the last 10 minutes of the game. Either holding onto a lead or trying to come back from a deficit. I really want to know how you play in crunch time. Josh played lights out during crunch time. We will win many more games than we lose if he continues that type of play.

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the one hand, he's correct and the same could be said about a QB who throws an INT on 4th down deep in the opponent's territory.  It really shouldn't go against a QB's stats the same way to take a risk and take a shot at a point in the game where a failure doesn't change the course of the game - the opponent was gonna get the ball there from a punt anyway.

On the other hand, I did see that as "sugar coating" that fumbled snap.  That's the kind of fundamental execution mistake that can not happen and must be corrected.  If you do your best and the opponent stuffs you, that's one thing, but if you stuff yourself, that's something else.

It was interesting to hear Eric Wood not be able to tell who was at fault on the snap. I genuinely do not think he was sugar coating it or not wanting to blame Morse or Josh. He said it could have been either’s fault. I think it is hard to not fault Josh on the first fumble. The Jet knocked it loose pretty easily even though he made a good play and Dawkins a bad one. Josh tucked it just not strong. 

All of those four four were fluky to some degree and not likely to be repeated. That’s the silver lining.  

• Like (+1) 2

I had toyed with the idea that the Brown TD pass was an adjustment dictated by the coverage but opted instead for the ball having been under thrown. Just didn't think Allen was there yet. If as the writer says it was a good read with perfect execution then that's huge and one of the game's most important takeaways IMO. That's something only good passers can do.

First things first.  For the life of me I have no idea why or how Michael Lombardi has been elevated to some kind of NFL savant. 

Second, for any of these articles that show up, either positive or negative, the first question that should come to mind is this:  did you actually watch the game?  Not just highlights, not just looked at the box score, but did you actually watch the entire game? 

If you actually watched the game, and if you are truly interested in an objective evaluation of Allen as opposed to showing your confirmation bias (i.e. you have already decided he is either inaccurate, careless, clueless or all the above), then this is what you would have seen.  Allen unlike last year stayed in the pocket for the most part and went through his progressions, unlike last year when he was running for his life, and sometimes doing that prematurely.  If you actually watched his passes you will see that he was very accurate, delivered the ball right where he wanted.  On the pick 6, he knew he had to protect Beasley by coming in low, and he did.  It may have been 4 inches outside, but when you hit an NFL WR in the hands they normally catch the ball and don't bounce it straight up into a defender's hands.  He also did a good job for the most part (exception below) throwing it away instead of trying to be a hero when he needed to do so.  So from a read and accuracy perspective Allen looked much improved the other day.

Now as for negatives, he still thinks his arm strength can let him get away with things he can't get away with in the NFL.  The almost pick down near the goal line was a classic example.  He is scrambling and while on the run tried to hit Brown, and should have been picked.  He has to learn you can't do that in the NFL.  As for the other pick nullified by penalty, took a shot into double coverage; also not well advised but after watching the replay last night I think it's very possible he saw the flag and/or penalty and took a free shot knowing he had one.  As for the fumbles, one was not him - it is not a fumble of your part if you never touch the ball.  The one on the sack he has to learn to just wrap the ball up and take the sack.  He is a young QB, he is going to by definition do some dumb things.  What you hope is that with experience the frequency of dumb things declines.  But we should all fully expect as the season goes along to have moments where we scream at the field or TV NOOOOOOOO when he make a dumb decision.  That is called learning, my friends. 

So what I saw, and anyone who actually watched the game should have seen, is a young QB figuring it out.  You should have seen progress in his reads and in standing in the pocket delivering accurate passes.  You should have seen the impertinence of youth at times.  But you would only see this if you actually watched the game.  Which is what makes the commentator stuff so maddening, because you know some guys either don't watch, or refuse to let their eyes change their opinions.  The guy on mad dog sports from 6-10, don't know his name but I listened for a bit while in the car last night.  And he said that you could ignore the bad game Mayfield had Sunday, because he clearly is the best of the 4 first round Bs from last year.  That Jackson because of his game is the second best.  And Allen, despite the moxie coming back, despite showing well all game?  According to him he's the worst of the four and will never change. 

When you hear this kind of stuff, when you see sites like the PFF drivel saying he and Singletary were rated poor, just ignore them, good or bad.  They have agendas and refuse to let data change them. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Who The Actual $!%! is Michael Lombardi and why should anyone care as to what he has to say.

Personally I would rather the Bills fly below the radar for as long as possible.  EXTREMELY hard to do in the day and age of 24/7 news coverage but I would rather see the Bills as underdawgs each and every week.

I was happy with JA's effort in the 1st half not to happy with the score.  The D is UNFREAKING real!!!!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It was interesting to hear Eric Wood not be able to tell who was at fault on the snap. I genuinely do not think he was sugar coating it or not wanting to blame Morse or Josh. He said it could have been either’s fault. I think it is hard to not fault Josh on the first fumble. The Jet knocked it loose pretty easily even though he made a good play and Dawkins a bad one. Josh tucked it just not strong. 

All of those four four were fluky to some degree and not likely to be repeated. That’s the silver lining.  

Woods is objectively correct from the film - it’s clear there was a miscue but who is right or wrong can’t be determined from that.  But, the QB probably knows what he just called for.  So either it wasn’t clearly communicated in the noise or Morse got it wrong.  Wood ain’t gonna throw a fellow center under the bus.

Ask the Jets if they’d be willing to trade Sam Darnold and Quinnen Williams for Josh Allen and Ed Oliver straight up, right now. To me, Darnold is Dalton-Lite, Allen looks like much more of a gamer. Oliver seems to be a more disruptive DT and already had Jets fans wishing they had picked him. I know it’s early, but I’d laugh at that trade if I were the Bills.

I've said this in another article but to me Allen has Brett Favre's gun slinger mentality (which I love) but with that mentality you are going to make mistakes, we should not make excuses for him since there is no need to, as long as he can come back from those mistakes and win games which he did. If we have the next Brett Favre with more athleticism, do we really give 2 ***** about whether or not he makes mistakes as long as were getting to the playoffs or Superbowls?

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Aah he didn’t play well in the 1st half.  HOWEVER  ultimately Allen still kept good body language throughout and kept his composure for the winning strike 

This is the most important aspect of the position. While everybody wants to focus on passer ratings, I prefer to look at him as a quarterback and his ability to get off the mat when things go bad. Allen was tested numerous times in that regard on Sunday and came through with flying colors. The kid is a flat out competitor who can take a punch in the jaw, come back, and knock your ass out. And if I can borrow a line from Jarvis Landry, that is CONTAGIOUS! To everybody on the team, including coaches. 

Bad plays happen to everyone. The key is all about how you respond. Always. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Not to sound cheap, but is it worth subscribing to the athletic? I feel like most of these writers are worse then the people we have on TSW. For those who have it, do you get your moneys worth? 

The athletic is absolutely worth it.  Full price, maybe not, but I’ve seen more than a couple different discounted rate offers.  I think I paid $20-25 bucks for a year.  Great content.

i also have a blitz sub.  paid about $35 for the year.  The athletic has better Bills content (and insane sports content) Blitz has more Bills content.  If you love reading lots of Bills content, both are worth it imo.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I had toyed with the idea that the Brown TD pass was an adjustment dictated by the coverage but opted instead for the ball having been under thrown. Just didn't think Allen was there yet. If as the writer says it was a good read with perfect execution then that's huge and one of the game's most important takeaways IMO. That's something only good passers can do.

From the article on that drive Allen was 8/10 with a throwaway and Bradley's drop of possibly Allen's best throw of the day. Allen was seriously dialed in on that drive.

To put this in perspective, IF Darnold had the same 4 turnovers and still won the game,

the media would be slobbering  over the dude.

The media will never stop treating the Bills like the NFL's bottom feeders,

even if they won the SB, the media would spend their time talking about how the

other teams deserved it more, the other teams beat themselves, the Bills got 

lucky in a horrible NFL down year, etc etc etc

Edited by Albwan
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree a few of the actual turnovers were bad luck and unfortunate bounces.

What concerns me much more are the 2 turnovers which are not included in the box score.

You know, the two glaringly bad throws for INTs when Allen started to panic and play hero ball for a while there.

One was erased by a defensive holding call away from the play (thank God) and the other INT to be was dropped when it hit the Jets player in his hands.

If you want to look at the whole game and try to understand what happened, look at the entire thing, not just the feel good parts.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This is the most important aspect of the position. While everybody wants to focus on passer ratings, I prefer to look at him as a quarterback and his ability to get off the mat when things go bad. Allen was tested numerous times in that regard on Sunday and came through with flying colors. The kid is a flat out competitor who can take a punch in the jaw, come back, and knock your ass out. And if I can borrow a line from Jarvis Landry, that is CONTAGIOUS! To everybody on the team, including coaches. 

Bad plays happen to everyone. The key is all about how you respond. Always. 

You get to quote Jarvis Landry once. Maybe. Otherwise you were bang on.

Josh is a gamer. You want him to improve, be more accurate, take what is given, use better fundamentals, take better care of the ball, and most importantly win games. He did five of six. 

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I’ll take Brown’s word for it on that play. He said the CB had good coverage and had taken away anything over the top. He said Allen saw that and deliberately took something off the ball and let Brown make the adjustment. So yeah, that’s something good passers have to do on occasion.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You get to quote Jarvis Landry once. Maybe. Otherwise you were bang on.

Josh is a gamer. You want him to improve, be more accurate, take what is given, use better fundamentals, take better care of the ball, and most importantly win games. He did five of six. 

Bless ‘em!

4 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Not to sound cheap, but is it worth subscribing to the athletic? I feel like most of these writers are worse then the people we have on TSW. For those who have it, do you get your moneys worth? 

i feel I'm getting my moneys worth because I only paid half price.  Will I renew next year at $70, maybe but not so sure?  The articles are very well written, sometimes a bit longer than I'd like, (my leg tends to falls asleep when I sit on the toilet too long)  But during the off-season not alot of Bills coverage it seems in that respect BN has much more coverage then.  But if you just like sports in general, like reading an NBA article something, then much more worthwhile. 

Good articles, just not a tremendous amount of Bills coverage.

The only thing I didn’t agree with was the TD to Brown when he said it was a perfectly placed back shoulder throw. 

I could be wrong, but I thought I heard in WGR yesterday, some with the team said it wasn’t intended to be a back shoulder throw. That he just threw it up and gave Brown a chance at it. If that was Joshs intent to put it in that spot, then great, but if he just “threw it up for a chance at it” and that’s what we got, I’m not 100% super duper excited about it. I mean it worked and we won the game because of it, but that doesn’t mean it was an accurately placed throw like the article states.