Was the O Line Good, Bad, Or Indifferent in Game 1?

T master

52 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Noticeably better, and against a tough front too.

Allen was sacked once when Dawkins lost leverage and was pushed aside rather easily on that particular play.

Add an Allen fumble I would blame on Morse.  But, IMO that is just rust.  

The Oline looks good.  I hope they become very good and think they can and will!

56 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I thought the line was strong on the pass blocking but looked bad with run blocking until Mosely went out. Once he left the line looked real good all around

No doubt. That could be because our line wore out theirs over time and Mosley’s injury could have been because we worked him too hard. We can only hope.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I thought the O-line played very well but was rusty at times.  Clearly Mitch Morse had to endure a first half baptism by fire as that was the first time he had seen meaningful contact at game speed in over 8 months. 

Allen had a nice pocket on most of his pass plays and the run blocking in the 4th quarter was outstanding.  My favorite O-line play was when on 3rd & 4 during the game winning drive Allen simply took the snap and rumbled to the left for the 1st down.  Morse and the linemen on that side all peeled off doing their best best imitation of a classic student body left sweep.  It was Lombardi old school!

That QB sweep was a thing of beauty. They played well but still need to find that perfect combo. Other than the Dawkins strip sack, Josh had decent time or at least time to scramble. 

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Gore looked 36, hopefully Singletary gets more carries

you mean in the first 1/4 lol

Line looked very good in pp 

The bills ran a very few runs 1st half. But Feliciano was destroying Jets players.

might need a jersey.
Morse is calling the right stuff.

these guys are only going to improve.

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Allen had time to throw on most plays.  Singletary looked good on his run plays.  Gore struggled on his run plays.  Jets run D pretty stout.  Bills had some success running the ball off tackle.  Room for improvement but not bad considering all the new faces and lack of playing together.

Gore only ran against a run defense. Jest stacked on him. he was clearly frustrated how he was used. way open in the flats many time on pass downs. just like McCoy was

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, unless Gore gets much better I would rather see Yeldon in there. TJ can also catch the football pretty well.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, unless Gore gets much better I would rather see Yeldon in there. TJ can also catch the football pretty well.

as i just mentioned. If Allen would look his way.

and Yeldon was not going to run up the middle of that jests interior. recall he has fumble issues?

12 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Gore only ran against a run defense. Jest stacked on him. he was clearly frustrated how he was used. way open in the flats many time on pass downs. just like McCoy was

Gore looked very frustrated on the botched snap that resulted in a fumble.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That QB sweep was a thing of beauty. They played well but still need to find that perfect combo. Other than the Dawkins strip sack, Josh had decent time or at least time to scramble. 

That was a really great call and perfect execution. It was actually after that play I thought they were going to win the game. Thought Dabol got in a nice rhythm with his play calling. 

Oline was solid I thought. Feliciano can really play!! He was outstanding , great signing. No Ol stood out , which is a great thing. 

16 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Gore looked very frustrated on the botched snap that resulted in a fumble.

His body language all 1st half was off. He looked frustrated and unprofessional even

• Like (+1) 1

Feliciano reminds me of Incognito. I know the Raiders had a pro bowl guard at one spot, but it seems like he should’ve been good enough to hold down the other. Not sure why he wasn’t starting in OAK. It’s a nice (and foreign) problem to have too many OL that are capable of starting!

• 3 weeks later...

I though this was interesting from the Athletic regarding Ford’s line play in week 3:

Bills All-22 Review: How the film tells a different story of the offensive line’s play 
https://theathletic.com/1237811/2019/09/24/bills-all-22-review-how-the-film-tells-a-different-story-of-the-offensive-lines-play/

Quote:

Ford’s worst rep resulted in one of Allen’s best plays of the game. Ford saw pass rusher Carlos Dunlap take a half-step toward an inside rush and got on his heels. Dunlap read Ford and booked it to the edge, not allowing the slower-footed rookie to catch up. Dunlap flushed Allen from the pocket and the quarterback needed an all-world throw to come up with the first down. Ford also struggled to stay step for step with the defender, and then relied too much on T.J. Yeldon for help on another rep. On a run-blocking opportunity, Ford dipped his head down and allowed the defender to rip past him to pin the running back on the inside and finish the play. You can see the three examples below, all of which add to the existing concerns with keeping him at tackle.

Once right guard Jon Feliciano left the game with a neck injury, Ford replaced him and looked like a different player. Ford played confidently as a pass blocker against bull rushers and operated well in space to “find work” and help his teammates. As a run blocker, he looked explosive as a puller and he crashed down on defenders when the play call needed him to get to the second level.”

As Daboll says, our OL is still a work in progress. We need a #1 WR and at least another solid O lineman if Ford doesn't develop, but I think he'll put his rookie struggles behind him soon.

I suspect Ford will end up at RG and we'll draft or sign a new RT after the season.

Edited by GreggTX

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

As Daboll says, our OL is still a work in progress. We need a #1 WR and at least another solid O lineman if Ford doesn't develop, but I think he'll put his rookie struggles behind him soon.

I suspect Ford will end up at RG and we'll draft or sign a new RT after the season.

I think Ford will at least be a starting caliber guard. Which puts Dawkins, Mitch, Feliciano, and Ford as starting O-line pieces in place for the next 2-3 years barring injury. Ty will likely also stay on in 2020 as depth. I think Spain is likely the odd man out if he turns in a solid year and commands a big contract. Unless maybe Cody shows flashes of being able to hold down the RT position I think they spend big money or a high draft pick to lock down the RT position and keep Cody at guard with Spain the odd man out.