DiMarco (Dabolls Swiss army knife)

Buffalo716

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Best game of his career is 3 catches for 35 yards...I dont think its a matter of him not being utilized correctly.

I am all for the occasional pass out of the backfield on a short yardage play or even a wheel route. But lining him up outside is just not my preference. I think coaches can try to be cute and out think themselves. 

I don't think my point is getting across..  He isn't lined out wide for his receiving ability

I assume that he will be blocking downfield on screens and rub routes throughout the season when lined up wide

A FB blocking a CB or safety in space is a mismatch

A lot of DiMarco detractors are missing a key point.

Yes, he lightens the box. Yes, he helps identify the coverage for Allen. Those alone are great contributions, but there's one more thing:

The Bills were in 21 personnel the vast majority of the time yesterday. Just like the Patriots, the Bills are now coming out in just about the same personnel grouping every single play. Then, depending on the defensive look, they either line up in an old fashioned pro set (I form, Strong, Weak, etc) or flex everyone out into some sort of spread of bunch grouping. This puts the opposition in a real bind. If they stay in base defense, the Bills flex to a passing formation. Now you potentially have Cole Beasley and/or Dawson Knox matched up against a linebacker. You probably have John Brown one-on-one against a corner with no help. Alternately, if the defense decides to go to nickel or dime personnel, the Bills can line up in the standard pro sets and run the balls against the lighter defensive personnel.

Basically, the gameplan by the Bills is to keep the same offensive personnel on the field for most of the game and allow the opposing defense to choose which way you're going to attack them. The Pats have been doing this for a few years now, to great effect. Emulating one of the consistently excellent offenses in the modern NFL is not a BAD thing!

As it relates to DiMarco: For those that say "well, his spot should be taken by a second running back or a tight end or something", well...unless said running back or tight end is as good at playing fullback as DiMarco, that doesn't exactly work. I understand those who say that he should not be catching passes, but both times I saw a pass go his way yesterday, he caught it for several yards. As an offense, you never go broke if you're making a profit. I guess what I'm trying to say is: Quit yer bitchin!

Edited by Logic
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I am one of the those "people" who wants him cut or questioned why wasn't he. All I'm saying is that he is a waste of a roster spot when you can utilize Lee Smith/Sweeney/Croom/Knox to do the same things with more agility 

But you can’t utilize them to do the same thing.  The TEs are all ok to good in-line blockers, but none of them are the lead blocker on runs that Dimarco is.  The TEs do not read a play out of the backfield the way a RB does and therefore are not as good at leading a RB into a hole.

The TEs would be better at splitting out, but the point of the original formation was a power running formation that they could morph into a wide split to get the Jets out of position and allow JA to read the defense and decide on a run or pass option and adjust the formation.  

I think you will see similar things in other games using 1 RB, 2TE, and 2WR, but I think early in the game they wanted a few more veterans on the first series hence Dimarco over the 2 rookie TEs.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think my point is getting across..  He isn't lined out wide for his receiving ability

I assume that he will be blocking downfield on screens and rub routes throughout the season when lined up wide

A FB blocking a CB or safety in space is a mismatch

yeah i see what they are doing. you run him out in a run package and the d subs in lbers put him outside and it spreads them out

A is hard to disguise a blitz from

B can give a favorable mismatch

i like what they are doing but the d was leaving him uncovered cause hes not really a threat to do alot of damage. but if he can catch it consistantly ill take the 4 yrd gain i guess. not sure if he was clogging things up on rubs

Edited by Buffarukus

Frankly, I don't like the trade off. I know he is in the game to make the Jets play a base run defense, and that is fine. Then they split him out and the Jets are forced to react accordingly. But it's not worth it. I would rather have Foster  or Zay in there instead of the fullback even if the Jets have an extra DB instead of LB in there on defense. DiMarco is no threat. He does not have great hands despite some people accusing him of it. He's never been a threat. People think he can be a receiver because he had a couple catches four years ago in a playoff game in a season where he had about four catches total. If anything his presence as a receiver clogs up the passing game because of the extra backer and his lack of speed. The team has much better chance of making yardage with a threat out there and a CB for the Jets or opponent.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

yeah i see what they are doing. you run him out in a run package and the d subs in lbers put him outside and it spreads them out

A is hard to disguise a blitz from

B can give a favorable mismatch

i like what they are doing but the d was leaving him uncovered cause hes not really a threat to do alot of damage. but if he can catch it consistantly ill take the 4 yrd gain i guess. not sure if he was clogging things up on rubs

We will see how much it really opens up things throughout a season

Devlin is used all over the Patriots formations and in different roles.

He will never be a receiving threat like a Kyle Jusczyk but that doesn't mean he can't be dependable when called on... Allen obviously has faith in him

No, no, no.  I have heard it stated emphatically on this forum that DiMarco is a waste of a roster spot and provides no useful purpose.

Armchair QBs can’t possibly be wrong, right?  The Bills’ coaches must be complete idiots, right?  Who’s with me?  I’ve got a bunch of pitchforks and torches loaded up and ready to march upon OBD!!!

Just now, eball said:

No, no, no.  I have heard it stated emphatically on this forum that DiMarco is a waste of a roster spot and provides no useful purpose.

Armchair QBs can’t possibly be wrong, right?  The Bills’ coaches must be complete idiots, right?  Who’s with me?  I’ve got a bunch of pitchforks and torches loaded up and ready to march upon OBD!!!

They were held scoreless with him, no? Maybe not. ;)

I think they should keep him. And play him a little. But the opening drive and splitting him out is worthless.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

They were held scoreless with him, no? Maybe not. ;)

I think they should keep him. And play him a little. But the opening drive and splitting him out is worthless.

The opening drive looked pretty good until Josh fumbled.

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

GTFOH:lol:

The team couldn't get near the end zone for 3 quarters with that dink and dunk ***** and you are celebrating the return of Sam Gash split wide catching a pass that went 25 yards horizontally for 1 ***** yard gain?:doh:

Let me know when that screen game comes together and starts producing TD's..........in the meantime I guess we will have to settle for the 4th quarter being when they do what Allen does best......push the ball downfield and make plays with his legs when defenses are backed off trying to prevent the long ball.

I'm not saying that LEARNING how to run an offense like Brady isn't good for Allen in the long run.........but there is a reason that McD runs a defense that tries to force teams to make lot's of short throws.......because for most passers it's just more opportunity for mistakes.  

And yeah the special breed DiMarco can make not-so-athletic mistakes.......like the ball that went off his face for an interception in the Peterman 5 pic game.   He certainly shouldn't be catching passes outside the hashes unless it's a "gotcha" play like a wheel route.    The first one of those deep outs that he fails to come back for and ends up turning into a pick-six nobody is ever going to want to see him get a ball thrown his way again.

To be fair to DeMarco, that pass thrown by Peterman was thrown way too hard given how close he was to the receiver. There was no touch at all.

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Frankly, I don't like the trade off. I know he is in the game to make the Jets play a base run defense, and that is fine. Then they split him out and the Jets are forced to react accordingly. But it's not worth it. I would rather have Foster  or Zay in there instead of the fullback even if the Jets have an extra DB instead of LB in there on defense. DiMarco is no threat. He does not have great hands despite some people accusing him of it. He's never been a threat. People think he can be a receiver because he had a couple catches four years ago in a playoff game in a season where he had about four catches total. If anything his presence as a receiver clogs up the passing game because of the extra backer and his lack of speed. The team has much better chance of making yardage with a threat out there and a CB for the Jets or opponent.

I don't think I've said he has great hands tho he does has good hands especially for a FB

He was 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards for a FB last year behind Jusczyk and will probably double his output this season

Not many FBs who can catch consistently

Edited by Buffalo716

10 minutes ago, eball said:

i like anarchy so im with ya. is a dull machete ok? seriously tho just because fans say somthing that the coaches dont see doesnt make them wrong. 

pretty sure we were in agreement that our qb situation was way off to go into a season with last year. the coaches thought the same...after it cost us. 

not same situation but worth a discussion.

Edited by Buffarukus

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think I've said he has great hands tho he does has good hands especially for a FB

He was 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards for a FB last year behind Jusczyk and will probably double his output this season

I was going to joke and say 50? But then thought I better look it up even though I didn't remember many if any other than the 40 yarder he had when no one covered him. Then I looked it up and it was 62 yards, total, or just over four yards a game. A true threat. So now, if everything goes as planned, he will get eight per game.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I was going to joke and say 50? But then thought I better look it up even though I didn't remember many if any other than the 40 yarder he had when no one covered him. Then I looked it up and it was 62 yards, total, or just over four yards a game. A true threat. So now, if everything goes as planned, he will get eight per game.

Hahah yes! But the point is he is there and can catch that 40 yarder

90% of NFL FBs can't. Who knows he can get 150-200 yards which would prolly put him in the pro bowl

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Not many FBs who can catch consistently

He's basically the 11th best player on the offense every time he steps on the field..........I didn't put up much complaint about him making the roster because I knew he was going to and because they didn't have to cut a quality player because of him............IMO you made a thread about something that's a high end "meh" pseudo-football-intellectual observation.

"See DiMarco is important to what Dabol wants to do"   ignoring the fact that the offense failed miserably for 3 quarters and turned the ball over 4 times.

You are kinda' missing the obvious point that it very much remains to be seen if this offense is even any good.    It's not like the Bills of the 2000's haven't been one of the few teams that has loved the fullback position and in all those cases it proved a mistake to emphasize that position.......including McD's first OC........who sacked the league's best running game.:doh: