DiMarco (Dabolls Swiss army knife)

Buffalo716

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

I would prefer having Gore/Singletary in some of those sets. Or use a TE as the Dimarco. You are going for the LB mismatch and I dont see Dimarco v LB as a mismatch. Singletary v LB is a diff story. 

Singletary may not get LB coverage - they may try to cover him with a DB because of what he showed in preseason.  Then you do not get the man vs zone indicator and have to use a different motion.

DiMarco they are going to cover 100% of the time with a LB - so you get the keys. 

I don’t think they believe Dimarco versus a LB is a huge mismatch.  I think they used the formation for other things - especially to limit the LB blitzes Gregg’s could throw and get a read on coverage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Going into game 1 there was a host of people who wanted DiMarco cut, said he doesn't do enough to warrant a spot... Some wanted WR Williams converted to FB lol

Yesterday showed why Dabolls likes and kept him. He lines up all over the field. He lines up in the backfield and blocks, he gets motioned out wide and blocks , he gets motioned out wide and runs routes

Playing FB in the NFL is super physically demanding, it takes a special breed and even Belechick has always utilized a FB

DiMarco offers versatility that not many other in the league offers. He splits out wide and catches passes and he does have good hands. But more importantly, the Bills will be running alot of rub routes and jailbreak screens for Beasley and McKenzie, and DiMarco getting split outwide offers a great blocking matchup with a FB on a CB or safety

That's a mismatch I'll take all day

GTFOH:lol:

The team couldn't get near the end zone for 3 quarters with that dink and dunk ***** and you are celebrating the return of Sam Gash split wide catching a pass that went 25 yards horizontally for 1 ***** yard gain?:doh:

Let me know when that screen game comes together and starts producing TD's..........in the meantime I guess we will have to settle for the 4th quarter being when they do what Allen does best......push the ball downfield and make plays with his legs when defenses are backed off trying to prevent the long ball.

I'm not saying that LEARNING how to run an offense like Brady isn't good for Allen in the long run.........but there is a reason that McD runs a defense that tries to force teams to make lot's of short throws.......because for most passers it's just more opportunity for mistakes.  

And yeah the special breed DiMarco can make not-so-athletic mistakes.......like the ball that went off his face for an interception in the Peterman 5 pic game.   He certainly shouldn't be catching passes outside the hashes unless it's a "gotcha" play like a wheel route.    The first one of those deep outs that he fails to come back for and ends up turning into a pick-six nobody is ever going to want to see him get a ball thrown his way again.

2 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

id like to know what he offers that a good blocking te doesnt. lee smith got a good paycheck and seems our te grouping is pretty stacked it would be nice to give smith his duties and let our young te get more reps while opening a roster spot for...i dunno a cb!

but if our offense is better with a fb i guess i cant argue. 

Because Lee Smith has spotty hands and DiMarco doenst..

Lee Smith will tell you personally that he hates catching a football and gets off on blocking. DiMarco has displayed solid hands for a FB over 8 seasons

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting......who would that be and what would be your duties deployment?......just curious...thanks.....

Sweeny? Knox? Anyone with more athletic ability. I don't think having a FB split out wide varies far from it being a TE. He does not present match up issues as most LB's in the NFL can run with him. 

10 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I would prefer having Gore/Singletary in some of those sets. Or use a TE as the Dimarco. You are going for the LB mismatch and I dont see Dimarco v LB as a mismatch. Singletary v LB is a diff story. 

...although the "brass" see a defined role for DiMarco, I agree on your point...don't see Gore as "throw in towel...he's old and slow" after ONE game...and I also don't understand Daboll waiting until the 3rd to test Singeltary, with just four carries....

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The team couldn't get near the end zone for 3 quarters with that dink and dunk ***** and you are celebrating the return of Sam Gash split wide catching a pass that went 25 yards horizontally for 1 ***** yard gain?:doh:

Let me know when that screen game comes together and starts producing TD's..........in the meantime I guess we will have to settle for the 4th quarter being when they do what Allen does best......push the ball downfield and make plays with his legs when defenses are backed off trying to prevent the long ball.

I'm not saying that LEARNING how to run an offense like Brady isn't good for Allen in the long run.........but there is a reason that McD runs a defense that tries to force teams to make lot's of short throws.......because for most passers it's just more opportunity for mistakes.  

And yeah the special breed DiMarco can make not-so-athletic mistakes.......like the ball that went off his face for an interception in the Peterman 5 pic game.   He certainly shouldn't be catching passes outside the hashes unless it's a "gotcha" play like a wheel route.    The first one of those deep outs that he fails to come back for and ends up turning into a pick-six nobody is ever going to want to see him get a ball thrown his way again.

Nobody is saying he's a HoF.

He has a spot on the roster because he is versatile and can do alot of things. And yes you do still need a FB in today's NFL

He is easily still one of the best 10 FBs in the world. He shouldn't be noticed, it's his job to go unnoticed unless he catches the ball. There are ALOT worse

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Singletary may not get LB coverage - they may try to cover him with a DB because of what he showed in preseason.  Then you do not get the man vs zone indicator and have to use a different motion.

DiMarco they are going to cover 100% of the time with a LB - so you get the keys. 

I don’t think they believe Dimarco versus a LB is a huge mismatch.  I think they used the formation for other things - especially to limit the LB blitzes Gregg’s could throw and get a read on coverage.

I get using him for limiting blitzes by getting the LB pout of the box. But he should not the designed to throw the ball to on that play. 

If they are keeping a LB off the field with Gore/Singletary we run the ball on that front. 

There are many ways to create mismatches in the NFL. How many teams are using a Dimarco outside the hashes?

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Let me know when that screen game comes together and starts producing TD's..........

I could of course be mistaken, but it seems to me that what kept us out of the endzone had little to do with the "dink and dunk"

I mean, other teams will get through sometimes and if Allen doesn't protect the ball on a sack, it doesn't really matter if he was dropping back to dink dunk or bomb, right?

There's a reason teams dink-and-dunk: it's because it's an effective way to move the chains and keep the ball away from the other team's O

If we can't dink-and-dunk successfully - we're not going to go anywhere

The plays that bothered me, that I thought were poor judgement passes from Allen, were not dink-and-dunk stuff.

I get using him for limiting blitzes by getting the LB pout of the box. But he should not the designed to throw the ball to on that play. 

If they are keeping a LB off the field with Gore/Singletary we run the ball on that front. 

There are many ways to create mismatches in the NFL. How many teams are using a Dimarco outside the hashes?

Like I said in the OP. It's not all about his catching ability

There will be alot of screens and rub routes mixed into that personnel when he's wide... He is faster than given credit for and big and he will create alot of space on a rub route for other players or screen

Knox or Sweeney can also be on the field when DiMarco is as well

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Going into game 1 there was a host of people who wanted DiMarco cut, said he doesn't do enough to warrant a spot... Some wanted WR Williams converted to FB lol

Yesterday showed why Dabolls likes and kept him. He lines up all over the field. He lines up in the backfield and blocks, he gets motioned out wide and blocks , he gets motioned out wide and runs routes

Playing FB in the NFL is super physically demanding, it takes a special breed and even Belechick has always utilized a FB

DiMarco offers versatility that not many other in the league offers. He splits out wide and catches passes and he does have good hands. But more importantly, the Bills will be running alot of rub routes and jailbreak screens for Beasley and McKenzie, and DiMarco getting split outwide offers a great blocking matchup with a FB on a CB or safety

That's a mismatch I'll take all day

I am one of the those "people" who wants him cut or questioned why wasn't he. All I'm saying is that he is a waste of a roster spot when you can utilize Lee Smith/Sweeney/Croom/Knox to do the same things with more agility 

4 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

well how bout sweeny? 

im not sure what your talking about, that pass smith caught in 2004 for us the first time he was on the team was a thing of beuty lol. until he tripped over his own feet. i dunno personel wise if he wants no catching duties why not get a athletic lineman that can chip in on ol if injury bites. i guess theres alot i may not know about position intricacies but its not like demarco is larry centers. when a pass is coming his way you cringe and hope for the best.

I literally heard Smith say he gets off on blocking and hates catching so that where I base my opinion of that on lol

DiMarco isn't a HoF but he is a top 10 FB in the world with versatility

You don't want a guy like Knox or Sweeney playing FB because they have too much potential and playing FB kills your body and shortens a career

Edited by Buffalo716

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because Lee Smith has spotty hands and DiMarco doenst..

Lee Smith will tell you personally that he hates catching a football and gets off on blocking. DiMarco has displayed solid hands for a FB over 8 seasons

well how bout sweeny? 

im not sure what your talking about, that pass smith caught in 2004 for us the first time he was on the team was a thing of beuty lol. until he tripped over his own feet. i dunno personel wise if he wants no catching duties why not get a athletic lineman that can chip in on ol if injury bites. i guess theres alot i may not know about position intricacies but its not like demarco is larry centers. when a pass is coming his way you cringe and hope for the best.

NE when they bring Develin out wide against teams with stout interiors an blitzes.  Utilized several times against Rex Ryan’s Bills teams.

I agree that Dimarco should not be the primary target, but if they are using the formation for a specific reason like limiting the blitzes the Jets can throw - then it was a win getting anything positive.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I literally heard Smith say he gets off on blocking and hates catching so that where I base my opinion of that on 

i hear ya. just seems like a major liability. like a hb that hates taking on blitzers. if you dont like it should prob find a new position cause there are others that are willing and able. i guess it works for him just like our fg kicker that hated kicking it off. bills will accommodate with a extra roster spot lol

by the way the smith statement was a joke. i do remember that catch and it was bad...but not any better then ive seen from dimarco.

Edited by Buffarukus

He kinda reminds me of a slow TE who can also play Hback. He looks like Nick O’Leary on his routes and seems to be open if Allen wants to just find a checkdown. Pretty reliable hands and versatility to motion out wide and force someone to account for him.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Like I said in the OP. It's not all about his catching ability

There will be alot of screens and rub routes mixed into that personnel when he's wide... He is faster than given credit for and big and he will create alot of space on a rub route for other players or screen

Knox or Sweeney can also be on the field when DiMarco is as well

Best game of his career is 3 catches for 35 yards...I dont think its a matter of him not being utilized correctly.

I am all for the occasional pass out of the backfield on a short yardage play or even a wheel route. But lining him up outside is just not my preference. I think coaches can try to be cute and out think themselves. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffarukus said:

i hear ya. just seems like a major liability. like a hb that hates taking on blitzers. if you dont like it should prob find a new position cause there are others that are willing and able. i guess it works for him just like our fg kicker that hated kicking it off. bills will accommodate with a extra roster spot lol

It's definitely not ideal but it's also a guy who knows his role... Football teams are defined by the roles you play