DiMarco (Dabolls Swiss army knife)

Buffalo716

Going into game 1 there was a host of people who wanted DiMarco cut, said he doesn't do enough to warrant a spot... Some wanted WR Williams converted to FB lol

Yesterday showed why Dabolls likes and kept him. He lines up all over the field. He lines up in the backfield and blocks, he gets motioned out wide and blocks , he gets motioned out wide and runs routes

Playing FB in the NFL is super physically demanding, it takes a special breed and even Belechick has always utilized a FB

DiMarco offers versatility that not many other in the league offers. He splits out wide and catches passes and he does have good hands. But more importantly, the Bills will be running alot of rub routes and jailbreak screens for Beasley and McKenzie, and DiMarco getting split outwide offers a great blocking matchup with a FB on a CB or safety

That's a mismatch I'll take all day

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Going into game 1 there was a host of people who wanted DiMarco cut, said he doesn't do enough to warrant a spot... Some wanted WR Williams converted to FB lol

Yesterday showed why Dabolls likes and kept him. He lines up all over the field. He lines up in the backfield and blocks, he gets motioned out wide and blocks , he gets motioned out wide and runs routes

Playing FB in the NFL is super physically demanding, it takes a special breed and even Belechick has always utilized a FB

DiMarco offers versatility that not many other in the league offers. He splits out wide and catches passes and he does have good hands. But more importantly, the Bills will be running alot of rub routes and jailbreak screens for Beasley and McKenzie, and DiMarco getting split outwide offers a great blocking matchup with a FB on a CB or safety

LOL! These comparisons to NE are kinda fun! ??

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Other than his 2 catches for like 6 yards I didn’t notice him at all. 

I think his usage is more complicated than that.  He's out there to dictate the Defense's tendencies and force their personnel.  When he's out there, they are likely to put out an LB.  When they move him out wide, it helps determine if the coverage is man or zone.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, fridge said:

I think his usage is more complicated than that.  He's out there to dictate the Defense's tendencies and force their personnel.  When he's out there, they are likely to put out an LB.  When they move him out wide, it helps determine if the coverage is man or zone.

For a really good explanation, check out Sal C.'s twitter account.  

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes. Given they are using him sort of like pats used gronk, I’m ok with it. Has good hands actually.

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree. While he’s not flashy, he has a niche of used properly

...will have to defer to McD and Daboll....they know what they need and want despite pundits saying "cut".......he never will be a stat guy so that is the wrong criteria to decide his "fit" IMO..

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well, yes, and yet....there were a couple plays where he ran a route, and made a catch, but I had the thought that he's about as agile as a front loader and someone else out there would have gotten a few more yards.

But he hauled 'em in, so there's that. 

I hear ya, @Buffalo716, he's the human Leatherman Wave for Daboll

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

I prefer the question - is he the guy that should be lining up all over the field? I would rather have someone else be the Dimarco...buy honestly dont worry too much about it.

...interesting......who would that be and what would be your duties deployment?......just curious...thanks.....

10 minutes ago, fridge said:

You dont need a Dimarco to do that. Plenty of other ways.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, yes, and yet....there were a couple plays where he ran a route, and made a catch, but I had the thought that he's about as agile as a front loader and someone else out there would have gotten a few more yards.

But he hauled 'em in, so there's that

..he'll never be a Sam Gash type Hap but this gang certainly sees a viable role in the offense for him....I'm good with their judgment.............

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

You dont need a Dimarco to do that. Plenty of other ways.

...so "pony up" with your assessment and recommendation then.............

16 minutes ago, fridge said:

Exactly and not only that - they had a 2WR, 1TE, 1RB, and the full back set going early in the game.  It is a running formation, but then they audible out to a spread formation.  If the LB follows the FB out wide - man coverage and you also pulled a big hitter out of the middle to allow you to run specific crossing routes.  

If the Jets tried to counter with more nickel  personnel- the Bills would have stayed tight and ran the ball.  Same personnel- different plays to force the defense to react.  A great game plan.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting......who would that be and what would be your duties deployment?......just curious...thanks.....

I would prefer having Gore/Singletary in some of those sets. Or use a TE as the Dimarco. You are going for the LB mismatch and I dont see Dimarco v LB as a mismatch. Singletary v LB is a diff story. 

id like to know what he offers that a good blocking te doesnt. lee smith got a good paycheck and seems our te grouping is pretty stacked it would be nice to give smith his duties and let our young te get more reps while opening a roster spot for...i dunno a cb!

but if our offense is better with a fb i guess i cant argue.