Should Shaq be starting instead of Trent Murphy?

GreggTX

Who should start at Left DE?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start at Left DE

• Murphy
    • Shaq

I've been an anti-Murphy guy.  But to be fair, he had a good game against the Jets.  His pass rush was mostly taking wide routes around the RT.  I didn't see him involved in many stunts.  But he held his own in the run game and was active down the stretch making some plays.  I think Lawson is a solid DE in the NFL and if people can be reasonable he should be signed to an extension. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Select one or the other. I know it's only 1 game, so I won't hold you to this answer. What's your feeling at this point?

Don’t care both get about 40-50% of the snaps - as long as they keep playing - starting means nothing.  

They are different players and both have good plays and bad plays.  I will let the coaches decide who to play when.

I believe from the discussion with Sal - Shaq is spelling Hughes and Murphy is being spelled by Johnson and they are playing on opposite side.

Shaq also moved inside a couple of times to rush from a pseudo DT position which gives him some different flexibility.

Edited by Rochesterfan

When we're facing elite running backs, like Bell and Barkley in the first two weeks, the defensive ends may prioritize setting the edge for the run game over getting to the QB.  When they do this well they have a big influence on the success of the defense without showing up on the stat sheet.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to know who performed better without understanding their assignment for this game.  Like you, I did notice Shaq making plays more than Murphy this week - I'm just not sure if that means he performed better or not.

Both played really well yesterday. Between the two of them they can be a serviceable option opposite Jerry. I still worry how we would cope if Jerry missed any time but credit both for good displays yesterday. 

I'd "start" Shaq because I would want him out there on early downs and Murphy more on passing downs. 

During OTA's/Training Camp they announced they were moving Shaq to the right side (& Yarbrough to the left) because they felt that was his (their) more natural position and where he played in college. I think the results have proven them correct!