Hated the turnovers....but man...Josh Allen's short game

In a second year raw QB you look for improvements....and frankly I saw them

I loved Josh Allen's emphasis to use his short game working his way down the field especially on that first drive...it didnt end in points but he was "taking what the defense gave him" and was efficient......

Its a process.....I just look for Josh to make improvements every week....it helps to have OL that block and receivers to throw to

• Like (+1) 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The biggest improvement I saw was in making quicker decisions. Josh left some plays on the field as a result but he made things easier on our o-line in the process. Also, there will surely be benefits to putting those quick decisions on tape. DCs are no longer going to be able to count on getting pressure rushing four which means we should see some better match ups and opportunities for big gains on hot routes.     

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the shorter throws are what the defense was giving, he should take them.  I thought he played pretty well in the first half, except for the strip sack fumble.  The two INTs were not his fault, his accuracy was good, and he threw it away when he had to.  The fumble on fourth down didn't matter since the play wasn't going to work and it would have been a turnover either way.

• Like (+1) 7

Such a point of emphasis during the offseason obviously, and nice to see that he is growing in his overall skillset--I just don't want him (or Coach Dabs) to forget where he came from and what electrified so many of us in the 2nd half of last year, his ability to quickly push the ball downfield. Balance, balance, balance! What an all-around weapon!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I loved Josh Allen's emphasis to use his short game working his way down the field especially on that first drive...it didnt end in points but he was "taking what the defense gave him" and was efficient......

Its a process.....I just look for Josh to make improvements every week....it helps to have OL that block and receivers to throw to

You could see Allen making progressions and he was just firing it in there.  I agree - I saw improvements.  Big improvements.

Upon watching it in slow motion, I do give Allen more fault for the Beasley INT than I did (I thought it was just a fluke).  He had 3 Jets LBs lurking back there anticipating that throw, so it was less of a fluke and more of "going to the well too often" on that play.  I don't like that play call there.  Allen had just successfully escaped to throw the ball away (scored as Inc to Zay Jones) then had a bad strip sack where his LT got beaten like a drum and he tried to stiff arm him and escape instead of protecting the ball with both hands.  He had (if I'm not mistaken) pretty much thrown that same pass to John Brown on the previous series, about 4-5 plays previous.  The Jets predicted it and 3 of them were hanging there waiting.  I give Allen credit for trying to put the ball low where a miss wouldn't wind up in the hands of a linebacker, but I don't think that was the best play call (maybe on Daboll) or the best read.  Will see when I get the 22.  I think Allen's clock was running fast from the previous 2 plays and he rushed his throw and put it a bit lower than it needed to be.  I'm also suspecting there was a better read (because 3 Jets players were right there, musta been a hole somewhere else).

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Before I was concerned about his short to intermediate accuracy, not anymore. Josh needs to eliminate the hero balls and he'll be just fine.

You could tell he REALLY wanted to make that throw across his body headed to the sideline (the throw that was intercepted in pre season) but didnt......I took that as a good sign

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Agreed, though I would have liked to see him uncork a couple deep shots to Brown or Foster.

The OL was giving him a pocket, and he was using it, but he didn't have a lot of time (early on) to let the deep routes develop.  That's the flip side of all those quick passes over the middle - the DL had decided on "no rush threat" and was pinning their ears back and going for Allen's throat.

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah but he made quite a few glaring errors that should have been erased from his game by now, if he were to improve with each week.  No?

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And one more thing.   It sets up the counter trey (Thurman's bread and butter in the good old days).   I think Singletary could be dynamic in that formation and we even saw a couple sprinkled into the second half play calls...

The way I see it the fumbles and the batted ball are things you want to avoid as a QB so yes, they are at least partially on him and because of them he didnt have a steller day overall. But...these types of turnovers are NOT the same type of turnovers people expected. When people talk about "Bad Josh" they mean wildly inaccurate throws, holding the ball too long, poor decision making, scrambling too quickly. If I were to tell you Josh had 4 turnovers in the first half before the game you would assume that one of them would have been because of those things but in fact none of them were. These turnovers, while annoying, are much much more easily corrected and avoided. That is why I am more optimistic.

The typical traits of "Bad Josh" were only seen sparingly and THAT is progress people.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I attribute some turnovers to basic football ineptitude.  Other times when I see a turnover, I think, "Stuff happens."   

Our turnovers yesterday were mostly stuff.  A normally good center muffs a snap - maybe because he's been on concussion protocol and hasn't developed a good rapport with the QB yet.  A good WR deflects a ball he should have caught, resulting in a pick.  Another pass gets deflected at the line of scrimmage.  A normally good OL gets beat and the QB gets hit, resulting in a lost fumble.  Stuff happens.  Good teams overcome the stuff - and the Bills did.

Like John, in between the stuff I was admiring the Allen's improvements.  Last year, Allen had trouble with progressions, decision-making, and accuracy on short-to-medium passes.  He looks like a different - better - QB this year.  He demonstrated proficiency in areas where he was once weak.  

This win wasn't pretty.  There will probably be a few more ugly games.  But I think there will also be some games this season where Allen lights it up.  

• Like (+1) 2

His biggest problem in the short game, imo, isn’t his accuracy.  It’s his velocity.  Catching lasers from JA is more difficult that catching lasers from other QBs.  He needs to take some off it in certain situations 

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

His biggest problem in the short game, imo, isn’t his accuracy.  It’s his velocity.  Catching lasers from JA is more difficult that catching lasers from other QBs.  He needs to take some off it in certain situations 

Its the NFL and these are professional receivers. IMO, I really didn't see any short throws that a receiver should have had trouble catching because of velocity, including the one that deflected off Beasley for an interception.