PFF really hates Josh Allen

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-what-we-learned-week-1-2019

No comment on Singletary or the Defense, just hate on Josh Allen in both segments. 

Buffalo

What I think is real: Bad Josh Allen. He had two interceptions, two lost fumbles, and more mistakes that the Jets couldn’t capitalize on. He’s just not very good. … John Brown did what most of us thought Brown would do, scoring a long touchdown and leading the team in targets. He’ll be hit and miss, but the hits will be good.

What I don’t: Good Josh Allen. In the fourth quarter, he led two scoring drives to ultimately win the game, rushing for one touchdown and connecting with Brown on the game-winning score. But there is just too much that is a mess about his game right now.

thats good coming from them since they suk at their jobs. Schopp really wrote that.

I just don't get why they don't mention that both his INT's were tipped. How is that his fault? Darnold had like 10 balls tipped and none of them were INT's. Does that mean he is better than Josh?

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that we opened up the game throwing 15 consecutive times or whatever the number was and moved the ball well should tell everyone what they need to know about Allen's development so far. He'll still make boneheaded plays here and there but the kid is ready now. Oddly enough, at least three of his four turnovers were of the flukey variety and it was two that were not recorded as turnovers (both deeper balls thrown down the field) that were more of the boneheaded play variety. 

I mean how many times did we get a hand on one of Darnold's passes only to not come away with the pick? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I just don't get why they don't mention that both his INT's were tipped. How is that his fault? Darnold had like 10 balls tipped and none of them were INT's. Does that mean he is better than Josh?

To be fair he had two other throws that were likely picks that were drops. 

Overall though this is certainly a lazy analysis. 

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

we’re right and PFF is wrong.

PFF is a flawed system , not an exact science. 

I can personally care less, they use confirmation bias like no other site .

I thought it was a great team win on the road , against a divisional opponent . Josh did enough to win , I thought he was much better than Darnold in his backyard and that's all that matters.  He showed great composure for a guy making his 12th start

2 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

To be fair he had two other throws that were likely picks that were drops. 

Overall though this is certainly a lazy analysis. 

One for sure. The other was a penalty regardless of the outcome and would have been called back. There's no point, in my mind, on criticizing a QB for plays that don't even count.

Josh was not perfect, but this is just one of those games that has incredibly misleading stats.

IMO, if you were a national guy, and didn't watch every Bills game, you could easily come out of that game thinking that Josh is more of the bad Josh than the good one. If you just saw highlights you surely would. You really have to have seen him play all of the games and know a lot about him and his supporting cast to feel like most of us do about him.

I really don't get all the PFF hate. Those guys have an excellent website IMO. They're basically doing what Dr Z (Paul Zimmerman from SI) did for all those years in watching every play of every game and isolating on each player, then grading them using a standardized grading rubric. It's detailed, objective analysis. Is there also opinion occasionally mixed in? Of course -- they're writers writing on a website. There are also zero other sites (as far as I'm aware) currently doing this for every NFL player. Perhaps the only reason we don't like them is because to date they've been hard on our young QB who has had his fair share of growing pains??  

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Comments from a writer slanted toward Fantasy Football should not be the same as those of graders who actually watch the plays but I suspect those will not be flattering either.    As for me, I am ok with how he played for most of the nearly 70 plays he ran.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. Kinda weird that he thinks Allen is that bad of a fantasy option though; I think he's pretty clearly going to be on the fringe of a top 12 fantasy guy this year.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Josh Allen is easily the most polarizing QB ive ever seen. 

Analytics guys hate him because he, up until yesterday, doesn't dink and dunk his way to 60% completion percentages. 

Draft guys apparently need to be right, while never admitting mistakes, so they hold onto this Wyoming view of Josh Allen.  

Then there's a handful of analysts that think he has superstar potential. 

Meanwhile, he somehow turns the ball over 4x yet wins the game and looks better than his draft counterparts Baker and Sam in Week 1.

I think good ole Tyrod can give him a serious run for his mopey in this dept.

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I really don't get all the PFF hate. Those guys have an excellent website IMO. They're basically doing what Dr Z (Paul Zimmerman from SI) did for all those years in watching every play of every game and isolating on each player, then grading them using a standardized grading rubric. It's detailed, objective analysis. Is there also opinion mixed in? Of course -- they're writers writing on a website. There are also zero other sites (as far as I'm aware) currently doing this for every NFL player. Perhaps the only reason we don't like them is because to date they've been hard on young QB who has had his fair share of growing pains??  

I agree.

From what they wrote, whether it be for Fantasy or not is actually pretty accurate.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Josh Allen is easily the most polarizing QB ive ever seen. 

Analytics guys hate him because he, up until yesterday, doesn't dink and dunk his way to 60% completion percentages. 

Draft guys apparently need to be right, while never admitting mistakes, so they hold onto this Wyoming view of Josh Allen.  

Then there's a handful of analysts that think he has superstar potential. 

Meanwhile, he somehow turns the ball over 4x yet wins the game and looks better than his draft counterparts Baker and Sam in Week 1.

Yeah. As The Wiz stated, there is no personal animosity towards JA, but there is some confirmation bias. And as of now, they still have statistics on their side.

Where I disagree entirely is that the good Josh Allen is somehow not real. There are without a doubt two Josh Allen's and I suspect that will be the story throughout his entire career. The question moving forward is this; can we see the good version somewhere in the 75 percent range?

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

Want to play that game it works both ways.  On Allen How about the one int that was called back due to a  penalty and the  Q4 drop by the Jet defends for an easy int.

The problem with the write-up is it's making sweeping generalizations based on less than a season worth of work.  Quoting the turnovers without context is foolish.  Saying "he is just not very good" is also a little bit of a stretch at this point.   But level headed doesnt really get the reaction they are looking for does it.     Much rather have a QB with nerves of steel go win us a game, than try and play it safe to appease PFF.  Its all a wait and see.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Want to play that game it works both ways.  On Allen How about the one int that was called back due to a  penalty and the  Q4 drop by the Jet defends for an easy int.

No, I don't want to play that game. I only consider actual plays that actually happened.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

They don't hate Allen. 

They hate the idea that they may be wrong about Allen. 

This is exactly what they are doing. It’s pretty silly to ignore the most important quarter. Bottom line with Josh is he is a gamer, he makes plays when we need it. He is also an analytic buster which is why PFF doesn’t like him.

• Like (+1) 1

From a fantasy perspective - 4 turnovers is not good.

From an actual football perspective - a lot of it was out of his control, he looked generally more accurate than last year, and more poised.  Balls were getting out faster, his scrambling created some plays with his arm in addition to his legs.  All in all i saw development.

• Like (+1) 3