Rational Thoughts The Day After (Jets)

corta765

17 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Jets had a 41% conversion.  Could it have been better..absolutely..but it was not too bad.  I think they gave too many freebies to Crowder and Bell is just too good in getting 1st downs

And again.... this is how the Bills are built to play defense. If you are going to drive the field against us we are gonna force you into at least 3 3rd down situations. We only have to win 1/3 and you are off the field. What we are not going to do is let you hit the big play against us. 19 yards was the Jets longest offensive play yesterday. That is how this defense is built to be. We are not going to sell out to get you off the field on 3rd down in your own half of the field and risk you hitting the long ball over the top of us. They remind me a bit of the Legion of Boom era Seahawks. They are not in that class yet, obviously, but that defense never seemed to give up the big play. Every drive against them you had to work your ass off and convert multiple 3rd downs. This defense has similar principles.

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That was (and will have to be) on Motor, then.   Gore's a between the tackles guy and won't be effective on horizontal runs (all the more reason they should have kept Shady one more year)…

Agree.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MDH said:

I'm fine with them dumping Shady. Singletary can handle it along with a few carries from Yeldon. 

Yeldon and Gore are both one-dimensional guys who defenses can key on, given their limitations.   It's a lot of responsibility to put a rookie in the 'feature back' role, especially knowing he doesn't have a comparable skill set backup.    We'll just have to see if he can handle it now that other teams know what to expect...

Great post. I agree with pretty much everything.

I really liked a lot of what I saw from Josh Allen yesterday. As someone else mentioned, he wound up with the 2 interceptions he deserved to have on other plays. Overall, though, there is noticeable improvement in his game. His pocket awareness looked improved. His touch on deep balls looked improved. He had one throw in the 2nd quarter that he floated over a CB to the TE Sweeney. It was very impressive. And, of course, his legs are gonna be a huge weapon. Not just in picking up 1st downs and TDs but in escaping the pocket and finding open receivers. 

The defense is gonna give us a chance to win 9-10 games this year and make the playoffs. I'm still not sure we are quite there yet on offense. However, this defense is high quality.

Point #4 in the OP's post is the key one: its all about the wins and losses. A week 1 road win vs a divisional opponent is a massive W. Doesn't matter how ugly it may have been. Now we've got a chance to start 2-0 with the Giants coming up. It's a big boost for the team going forward.

Caveat- I posted this in another thread. 

I feel that Dabol fell in love with the spread concept and tried to play the patriots game plan with Allen and Beasley and completely forgot the run game or allowed Allen to check out of the run game. When the Pats do it they know that sometime the D is set up for the run and they run it anyway. Allen saw that the Jets D knew it was run switched play to pass- right into the Jets D coordinators design -ie let Allen beat you with his arm. Sometimes you have to say I gonna run and try and stop it. The power sweep QB keep for first down was a classic example. We have a FB and threw to him twice. Come on now!

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

The biggest thing for me was I had 0 confidence when they were down by so much in the second of them making a comeback.  They stayed cool and collective and beat a team I feel like they are better then and should have beaten.   That's the biggest difference and something that if they really have turned the corner ( I believe they have) will make this a very fun season!

Had we NOT been able to move the ball AND still turned it over 4 times, I would have also had zero confidence and would have left the TV in the 4th. But we were moving it all game and I actually was calm and had a feeling we'd at least make it close in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

But on my ride in today, culture is meaningless. Simon, who has become an even more timid and weak person because the dominant personality that is White, both parrot the point that culture is irrelevant. But what I love the most is, they'll take the opposite tact on occasion that teams, front offices, and coaching is "dysfunctional" when a team sucks. How can you at once discount the broad term "culture" as meaningless because talent and wins are all that matters but then suggest dysfunction is creating losses. It's the most laughable argument from radio hosts who basically work as a duo and never in a large, complex organization where the culture, which can be simply defined as the attitudes, behaviors, and expectations of a group, can severely influence the performance of that group. Making it even worse, these same simpletons, who've likely never set foot in an advanced stats course continue to argue that individual disconnected advanced measures tell us about winning. No stat is predictive of winning by itself. And until they develop the complex multilevel model that explains ALL the variables that cause, nor are correlated to, winning, then they're useless blowhard. 

'

They'd do themselves a favor if they admitted that culture plays some currently immeasurable but clearly tangible role. Coming back from 16 down on the road in the second half of a road game against a division opponent requires an organizational (in this case the team) belief it can win. That means an attitude of never quitting. We've seen how many teams turtle in these situations. If everyone quits, it's over. 

It's just pretty unreal the rampant infection within WGR's two primary show hosts on this issue. But also awesome when you hear current and retired players say it DEFINITELY MATTERS. How these nerds can continue to say it doesn't when actual professional athletes say it does is stunningly tone deaf. But that's what happens when being right is the onlt thing that matters and you defend it in the face of information that says otherwise. 

And serious, when is Simon going to retire, he's so bad. He's still as good as he probably was in Intro to Broadcast Journalism.

Call me old fashioned, but I think winning with character guys is alot more fun. I still prefer players that handle themselves like adults on and off the field, dare I say like "Role models" even.

"Process" guys are alot easier to get behind and I get more enjoyment from their success. Obviously, Josh, Tre and Tre fit this mold, but the new guys John Brown and Devin Singletary fit this bill too (as do many others). IDK as a lifetime fan I feel like we're building something good here, something I havent felt in a long while and I'm excited (tempered) about it.

The G-men looked awful yesterday, this week will be another winnable game for us. Git'r done!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1