Rational Thoughts The Day After (Jets)

corta765

I was in no condition to post yesterday after the win considering everything and the fact I had a lot of alcohol flowing haha. Additionally the next morning is a much more rational mindset. So here we go:

1. Josh Allen- It all starts and ends here. On the grades posted today here on TBD I have him a B-. The big thing is I liked the fact he worked the middle and things low all over. Truthfully his worst play was the dropped INT by Marcus Maye. That’s the hero ball he cannot throw. Both picks were bad luck not his fault and I only blame him for the first fumble. But long view he stayed in pocket better, his vision improved finding WR especially when it really mattered in the fourth, and he won the game with his arm on a great throw to Brown which is far more sustainable compared to him running for 100 yds. I am very excited to see what he does next week with the jitters out of his system and an easier defense to play against.

2. Offense In General- it’s weird to say I liked the offense when they only scored 17 pts and had 4 turnovers... but I liked the offense. The Bills moved the ball all game which was much better then last year. It’s one game but I do see them moving into being a mid tier offense with how they structured everything especially against a good Jets D. Robert Foster was quiet and it didn’t seem like he was on the field much, I could be wrong but thought that was interesting. John Brown seemed to get better as the game progressed and I look forward to seeing him throughout the season and now Daboll uses him. The one thing I do not understand is fans who are mad the bills came out throwing. Yes Singletary did great once they used him, but part of their game plan was to keep the Jets off balance by throwing and attacking their weak corners. The other thing is if Josh really becomes the guy I want him throwing a lot. Your not beating  the Pats or KC sheltering your QB. I think the fact the offense is trusted in his hands this much and that he did throw 37 times is a major positive not a cause for concern.

3. Defense- Pretty simple they looked great and might be the best the unit has been since the 99 squad. The talent and depth is noticeable and for year 3 of the scheme it’s firing at all cylinders. They still got beat a little on screens to RBs and WRs but not nearly as bad as in the past and if the goal is to eliminate big plays then I’ll allow those. Milano seemed decent although he did get beat a few times down low in coverage which I think is just rust coming off. Jerry Hughes seems poised for 12-15 sacks and some all pro praise he finally deserves. I also appreciated his lack of bonehead penalties at inopportune times.

4. Winning is all and nothing else. Regardless of how pretty or ugly it gets the Bills are 1 win down with 9 to go to be a safe spot for the playoffs. 

5. McDs Culture Push Deserves Credit- I was truly impressed that the entire team didn’t cave when it was 16-0 and instead came back firing. They say a team takes its coaches personality and you gotta like what he is doing.

6. Leslie Frazier Playing Calling Was Superb- I hope the Bills can keep him for awhile because the guys on D really like him and play so well for him. I thought he did a great job with adjustments and I liked the blitzing aggression especially at the end.

7. Next Few Weeks- You never underlook an opponent, the Bills need to clean up the turnovers, and there are other things to fix. But the Giants and Bengals offer two straight very winnable games. It feels like the Pats and Titans back to back are going to present the first true tests of the season. I hope again the Giants and the Bengals they refine themselves to a high level because if you can get a victory in one of Pats or Titans your hopefully 4-1 at the bye with a real solid look at the playoffs. I am excited to see where this team goes and if Allen can build off the positives of yesterday 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

love it...

I think the tape of Singletary now shows opposing defensive coordinators that you have to respect our run game, which will allow Josh Allen to sit in his now safe pocket (thanks new O-line) and throw to his new WRʻs... aka - the perfect storm for a revamped offense.

If the defense can continue to do what they do, I agree that our offense can take the next step and we can hit that 10 win mark.

6 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Great write-up.

Wouldn't it be something if that Titans-Bills game was a good meaningful one that the nation kept an eye on?? I'll be there.

Absolutely that would be wild. I’m trying not to overact to the Titans because it is shocking but that happens a lot weeks 1-2-3 with weird upsets. Their Defense is legit it’s the offense I guess I still doubt haha 

8 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Love everything you wrote.

What I did not like:

Allen taking too many hits running the ball

Defense unable to bring down Darnold on the 2-pt conversion after chasing him to the 20 yard line

Great write up OP. I basically had all the same thoughts to a T.

I gotta say I also felt a little nervous on some of those headfirst dives Allen had on some of his runs. I know he's a big, big athletic dude who will compete till the very end, but 2-3 headfirst dives into thirsty db's and line backers is gunna lead to at least one where his clock gets cleaned. But man do I love his energy so it's a catch 22.

The biggest thing for me was I had 0 confidence when they were down by so much in the second of them making a comeback.  They stayed cool and collective and beat a team I feel like they are better then and should have beaten.   That's the biggest difference and something that if they really have turned the corner ( I believe they have) will make this a very fun season!

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I was in no condition to post yesterday after the win considering everything and the fact I had a lot of alcohol flowing haha. Additionally the next morning is a much more rational mindset. So here we go:

1. Josh Allen- It all starts and ends here. On the grades posted today here on TBD I have him a B-. The big thing is I liked the fact he worked the middle and things low all over. Truthfully his worst play was the dropped INT by Marcus Maye. That’s the hero ball he cannot throw. Both picks were bad luck not his fault and I only blame him for the first fumble. But long view he stayed in pocket better, his vision improved finding WR especially when it really mattered in the fourth, and he won the game with his arm on a great throw to Brown which is far more sustainable compared to him running for 100 yds. I am very excited to see what he does next week with the jitters out of his system and an easier defense to play against.

2. Offense In General- it’s weird to say I liked the offense when they only scored 17 pts and had 4 turnovers... but I liked the offense. The Bills moved the ball all game which was much better then last year. It’s one game but I do see them moving into being a mid tier offense with how they structured everything especially against a good Jets D. Robert Foster was quiet and it didn’t seem like he was on the field much, I could be wrong but thought that was interesting. John Brown seemed to get better as the game progressed and I look forward to seeing him throughout the season and now Daboll uses him. The one thing I do not understand is fans who are mad the bills came out throwing. Yes Singletary did great once they used him, but part of their game plan was to keep the Jets off balance by throwing and attacking their weak corners. The other thing is if Josh really becomes the guy I want him throwing a lot. Your not beating  the Pats or KC sheltering your QB. I think the fact the offense is trusted in his hands this much and that he did throw 37 times is a major positive not a cause for concern.

3. Defense- Pretty simple they looked great and might be the best the unit has been since the 99 squad. The talent and depth is noticeable and for year 3 of the scheme it’s firing at all cylinders. They still got beat a little on screens to RBs and WRs but not nearly as bad as in the past and if the goal is to eliminate big plays then I’ll allow those. Milano seemed decent although he did get beat a few times down low in coverage which I think is just rust coming off. Jerry Hughes seems poised for 12-15 sacks and some all pro praise he finally deserves. I also appreciated his lack of bonehead penalties at inopportune times.

4. Winning is all and nothing else. Regardless of how pretty or ugly it gets the Bills are 1 win down with 9 to go to be a safe spot for the playoffs. 

5. McDs Culture Push Deserves Credit- I was truly impressed that the entire team didn’t cave when it was 16-0 and instead came back firing. They say a team takes its coaches personality and you gotta like what he is doing.

6. Leslie Frazier Playing Calling Was Superb- I hope the Bills can keep him for awhile because the guys on D really like him and play so well for him. I thought he did a great job with adjustments and I liked the blitzing aggression especially at the end.

7. Next Few Weeks- You never underlook an opponent, the Bills need to clean up the turnovers, and there are other things to fix. But the Giants and Bengals offer two straight very winnable games. It feels like the Pats and Titans back to back are going to present the first true tests of the season. I hope again the Giants and the Bengals they refine themselves to a high level because if you can get a victory in one of Pats or Titans your hopefully 4-1 at the bye with a real solid look at the playoffs. I am excited to see where this team goes and if Allen can build off the positives of yesterday 

Thanks, great post and well thought out and articulated!

15 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

third down defense was suspect...great write up...

Jets had a 41% conversion.  Could it have been better..absolutely..but it was not too bad.  I think they gave too many freebies to Crowder and Bell is just too good in getting 1st downs

42 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Play throughout the NFL for week one still at pre - season caliber - but the games count now despite some sloppy games yesterday and last Thursday. Week four will provide a better picture of who the contenders and pretenders are, again unfortunate because they all count in the win loss column - the modern NFL!

5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Jets had a 41% conversion.  Could it have been better..absolutely..but it was not too bad.  I think they gave too many freebies to Crowder and Bell is just too good in getting 1st downs

Im not interested in the percentage, I can remember at least 3 third and long situations that we let them off the hook, you cannot do that and win against good teams 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Great write up, but this is not the place for “Rational Thoughts”. Try and do better in the future.

• Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, corta765 said:

source.gif

I agree with most of your points.

I liked the Daboll attacked the defense's weakness by throwing the ball a lot. It's what he needed to do, though he went a little overboard early. The strength of the Jets' D is up the middle so I think he could have peppered in some horizontal runs to attack the edges where they weren't really concerned with contain. Add to that that the Bills have a center that can pull out to the edge and I believe the Bills would have had some success running outside.

As for Josh Allen, I keep seeing people say the INTs "weren't his fault" and maybe they weren't. But he also had an INT called back from a penalty away from the ball and another easy one dropped. So that's two instances of "bad luck" with the actual INTs and two instances of "good luck" with the ones that didn't happen. To me, that's a wash. He has the INTs on the stat book he deserves.

That said, I still mostly like what I saw from the offense and it's passing game though I would very much like to see him stop looking to run so much. 10 attempts is too many. He needs to looks to move around the pocket without looking to take off and run everytime he feels some pressure.

Good post.  I'll add:  I know Bell is tough to bring down but I thought the tackling -- for everyone, not just Bell -- could use some work.  I saw a lot of arms and reaches by guys who were in position to make a play but didn't finish.  One of Gannon's few valid points was that with starters and second-stringers not getting much PT in preseason, they don't get the game reps to put them into rhythm.  Maybe that's what I saw on tackling.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MDH said:

The strength of the Jets' D is up the middle so I think he could have peppered in some horizontal runs to attack the edges where they weren't really concerned with contain.

That was (and will have to be) on Motor, then.   Gore's a between the tackles guy and won't be effective on horizontal runs (all the more reason they should have kept Shady one more year)...

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That was (and will have to be) on Motor, then.   Gore's a between the tackles guy and won't be effective on horizontal runs (all the more reason they should have kept Shady one more year)...

I'm fine with them dumping Shady. Singletary can handle it along with a few carries from Yeldon. 

8 minutes ago, MDH said:

As for Josh Allen, I keep seeing people say the INTs "weren't his fault" and maybe they weren't. But he also had an INT called back from a penalty away from the ball and another easy one dropped. So that's two instances of "bad luck" with the actual INTs and two instances of "good luck" with the ones that didn't happen. To me, that's a wash. He has the INTs on the stat book he deserves.

The INT called back its hard to know what it is if the WR/TE is allowed to run his actual route. Kinda butterfly effect, but yea even in a perfect world Allen has 1 INT on the day. I just hope he smartens up on the throws like  Maye they won’t all be drops