Week Two: Bills at Giants

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That might not be a good thing if it happens......often when QB have unusually high passing yards, it means they’re struggling to bring their team back from a deep hole.

I’d prefer Allen to have 178 passing yards and the Bills to take a 21-3 lead into the 4th quarter ....and keep it

I'll say what I said earlier:

Keep your foot on the gas. No need to accelerate but go whatever speed you're going for the entire game.

If we're up 21-3 going into the 4th quarter, maybe it's just me but I've been burned enough by this team that I won't feel comfortable.

I didn't like 17 straight passes to start the game last week, so I'd prefer our opening gameplan mixed some runs in. But I also think it's a mistake when any team that has a big lead changes its gameplan because it has a big lead unless that lead is insurmountable.

An 18 or 19 point deficit going into the 4th quarter is not insurmountable, just ask the Atlanta Falcons.

Don't change the gameplan until you're forced to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

wow... if we can contain Barkley and score more than 12 points  or so, we should definitely win this game

I just looked over the Dallas/ Giants game and quite honestly I think this game will not be easy. Yes, the Giants secondary looks very bad but Eli didn't really seem to have too much trouble moving the ball. Their Offensive Line is pretty decent and gave Eli the time needed. He had some really nice throws and Barkley had no trouble gashing the Dallas D.  How they abandoned the run so early is beyond me. Home opener in a must win situation is not a good recipe for us. When I heard about how bad they were I was stoked but they really didn't look bad offensively. Defensively they couldn't stop anything but I think our D will have their hands full even missing some key players on the Giants. Defense is gonna need some turnovers this week and take them out of their run game asap.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, MJS said:

So both Beasley and Jordan Phillips have illnesses? They better not have been sharing forks with Darnold. There could be an epidemic on our hands.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/injuries.htm

Well, they were both Full Practice yesterday so they probably had the 24 hour strain of Mono.

• Haha (+1) 1

The Giants backed into a buzz saw last week. I was not impressed by the Buffalo Bills vs the Jets, I thought we really stunk it up. Way to many mistakes.

Giants are better then most think here. I seen them play last week, they are a solid physical team and will be playing balls to the wall this week. 

Bills 14 Giants 24

Eli and Barkely get it done at home. Both teams go to 1-1. 

26 minutes ago, Frez said:

The Giants backed into a buzz saw last week. I was not impressed by the Buffalo Bills vs the Jets, I thought we really stunk it up. Way to many mistakes.

Giants are better then most think here. I seen them play last week, they are a solid physical team and will be playing balls to the wall this week. 

Bills 14 Giants 24

You are not going to be very popular around here.

The Cowboys defense was not good against Barkley.  The line was pushed around and had no penetration, the safeties didn't fill gaps, and #30 would not make the Bills roster IMV.  The Bills run defense will be much better, and Eli will make mistakes and force balls into coverage.

I can see Eli getting yanked for Jones in this game, maybe for good.

36 minutes ago, Frez said:

Bills 14 Giants 24

Not impressed by our defense last week?  Held Bell to under 70 yds and one TD.  Offense was uninspiring for three quarters, but got the job done late and got the "W" in enemy territory for their home opener.

Giants are without their two top wideouts and Latimer is questionable with a calf injury.  No doubt Giants are better than they played at Dallas, but will be hamstrung without many of their weapons at wideout.  We need to stop Barkley and Engram, but I see our defense getting it done.  Giants defense is a mess and their secondary looked completely lost last week.

I don't see us losing this game and would be shocked it we did.  I'm going and hope to see us win big.  GO BILLS! 

1 hour ago, Frez said:

Bills 14 Giants 24

Lol

Bills fans gonna bills fan

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Frez said:

Bills 14 Giants 24

giants fans are welcome to their opinion here. I disagree, I don't think your team is as good as you claim. I don't see the giants scoring more then 17 and the bills O will pick up where it left off in the 4th Qtr last week as well as limiting the turnovers and scoring more then 30 points.

no, it's cool. I don't think giants fans are near as bad as say a patsie troll, so you're good.

enjoy the game, or at least try...GO BILLS!!!

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There have been times when it seems like he's playing checkers against chessmasters, and the Bills get totally totally blown out.

The topic of blowouts in 2017 and 2018 gets a lot of play on this board...and the typical conclusion drawn is that McD has been "outcoached" or "owned" by the opposing coach.  One of our resident McD critics believes Bill Belichick "owns" McD because the Super Bowl bound Patriots*** were able to pull away in the 2nd half of their games against a talent-poor (particularly on offense) Bills squad.

Nobody likes to see their team out of it when the 4th quarter rolls around, but at no time during the past two seasons did I have the impression that McD took an evenly matched squad and then "undercoached" them to a blowout loss.  In 2017 the five "blowouts" were losses @NYJ, NO, @SD (the Peterman game), and the two contests vs. NE***.  Only the Jets game is one in which the teams were somewhat evenly matched, and Tyrod was terrible in that game (which was still only 10-7 at the half).

In 2018 I think we all can agree the Bills -- particularly early in the season -- had one of the worst offenses in NFL history and were completely overmatched.  They also turned the ball over at an alarming rate (5 vs. IND, 4 vs. CHI).  The Bears game stands out as unique since the Bills only allowed 190 total yards yet were blown out 41-9 (the Peterman effect).  Once Josh Allen returned from injury, however, it was a different team.  Only the late season loss at NE*** can be termed a "blowout" over the final 7 games, and once again, over the course of the season McD did not "undercoach" an evenly matched team to a blowout loss.  The blowouts were @BAL, LAC, @GB, @IND, CHI, and NE*** -- all playoff teams with the exception of GB (which was somewhat of a surprise).

What is my point in all of this?  To address the quoted comment above, I do not believe there has been a "checkers vs. chess" scenario in which McD was playing checkers.  If anything, he has won more games than he had any right to win.  McD was the chess player @ATL and @KC in 2017, and @MIN in 2018.  Those were three completely unexpected road wins.  Show me the game in which the Bills were favored and then came out flat?  They haven't had the horses and yet somehow managed to get into the playoffs in 2017, and then finish 2018 strong.

2019 is McD's first season in which he is arguably playing with a full assortment of chess pieces.  If the Bills get blown out this season it will be the first time (in my opinion) we can ask, legitimately, the question of whether it's because of McD.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Frez said:

Bills 14 Giants 24

BBFS Exhibit A right here.

9 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Man I really want Andre Roberts to get healthy soon. So disappointing he hasn’t been able to play in two games. Been so long since the Bills has a true game breaking return man. 

This is something the Bills now seem to do differently and I think it's a good thing.  Before it seemed we would take all measures to rush a guy back on the field, and he'd play hampered all season.  Giving a guy time to heal and hopefully be and stay healthy when he returns is a good thing.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

giants fans are welcome to their opinion here. I disagree, I don't think your team is as good as you claim. I don't see the giants scoring more then 17 and the bills O will pick up where it left off in the 4th Qtr last week as well as limiting the turnovers and scoring more then 30 points.

no, it's cool. I don't think giants fans are near as bad as say a patsie troll, so you're good.

enjoy the game, or at least try...GO BILLS!!!

Seriously? I'm a Buffalo fan bro. I tell it like it is. 

I hope we go 16-0 but reality says it will not happen. 

• Haha (+1) 1