Week Two: Bills at Giants

YoloinOhio

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

When he was in college, it seemed he was untouchable in space but he didn’t have great vision at the LOS with hitting the hole on pure rushing plays. Thought he hesitated too much. Don’t know if that has changed. 

I saw him against the Eagles a bit last year, and he definitely could hit the hole. Maybe not cleanly, but he seemed to be able to keep going and adjust after glancing contact and then bust it big.

50 minutes ago, GG said:

Thanks a ton

This guy gets paid to write for USA Today?!  A gimme game for the Giants?  Holy homerism.

"The New York Giants (0-1) square off against the Buffalo Bills (1-0) at MetLife Stadium in a Week 2 game that should have been considered a gimme for Big Blue, but after the way things shook out last Sunday, they find themselves rare home underdogs."

"In examining the Bills’ 53-man roster, there are some players that stand out, but predominantly, they appear no deeper than the Giants. In fact, their talent is inferior to that of the Giants, which is saying something given how top-heavy New York’s roster is."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/gimme-him-one-player-giants-would-steal-from-bills/ar-AAH8Azb

• Haha (+1) 4

56 minutes ago, MDH said:

Why can’t they? Looking at the game logs Barkley had these rushing totals last year: 28, 82, 44, 48, 43, 38, 67, 31, 43.

Sure, he had 100+ in 7 games but in over half his games he failed to reach the century mark.

Just because a guy is a top notch player doesn’t mean he explodes every game. The key is to build a lead so they have to move away from him in the 2nd half.

Agreed.  Barkley is a very good RB, but he’s hardly superhuman.  I’m not sure he’s better than Le’Veon Bell, who the Bills bottled up pretty well last week.

7 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

This guy gets paid to write for USA Today?!  A gimme game for the Giants?  Holy homerism.

"The New York Giants (0-1) square off against the Buffalo Bills (1-0) at MetLife Stadium in a Week 2 game that should have been considered a gimme for Big Blue, but after the way things shook out last Sunday, they find themselves rare home underdogs."

"In examining the Bills’ 53-man roster, there are some players that stand out, but predominantly, they appear no deeper than the Giants. In fact, their talent is inferior to that of the Giants, which is saying something given how top-heavy New York’s roster is."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/gimme-him-one-player-giants-would-steal-from-bills/ar-AAH8Azb

I don't want to be a homer to match this chap but I'm struggling to think of one of their defensive players who would replace a Bills starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

As if any game for a team that just drafted 6th overall is a “gimme”

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I don't want to be a homer to match this chap but I'm struggling to think of one of their defensive players who would replace a Bills starter. 

I don't want to be a homer either, but I am there with you. I can't imagine anyone who is markedly better than their Bills counterpart. I mean, I would love to upgrade from Star, and maybe get another edge rusher but I do think that our D is just flat our better.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Agreed.  Barkley is a very good RB, but he’s hardly superhuman.  I’m not sure he’s better than Le’Veon Bell, who the Bills bottled up pretty well last week.

I think that there are 4 RBs that are clear and away better than the rest of the league: Kamara, McCaffrey, Zeke, and Gurley...

...and Saquon Barkley is, IMO, clear and away better than all 4 of those guys.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I don't want to be a homer either, but I am there with you. I can't imagine anyone who is markedly better than their Bills counterpart. I mean, I would love to upgrade from Star, and maybe get another edge rusher but I do think that our D is just flat our better.

Off the top of my head, overall I'd only take Barkley, Engram, Zeitler, Hernandez and at a push Tate from their offense over the Bills O starters.

Too homer?

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think that there are 4 RBs that are clear and away better than the rest of the league: Kamara, McCaffrey, Zeke, and Gurley...

...and Saquon Barkley is, IMO, clear and away better than all 4 of those guys.

I’d put Bell up against any of those guys.  He has proven himself year after year, as a runner and as a receiver.  Zeke and McCaffrey, though...

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Any summary for those who can't listen at work?

Giants are trying to improve culture (the recent surprising cuts like Landon Collins) and the fan base is impatient

When does Daniel Jones become the starter? - he's winning over skeptics in media and fan base. Gettleman/Shurmur/Mara say it's Eli's job unless they're out of contention or Eli completely ***** the bed. Joe Marino suggests not putting a rookie QB in against the Bills, Vikings, or Pats. Patricia Traina doesn't seem confident that the Giants will be in the playoff hunt and that Jones will start before the end of the year.

Giants have two advantages on offense: Barkley and Engram. Patricia is frustrated at the lack of deep routes for Engram. Thinks they need to do a better job of getting Barkley in space. Thinks Shurmur isn't maximizing Eli's strengths.

An underrated strength is the Giants' OLine. 

Biggest concern- Their secondary is brutal. Cowboys consistently exploited Hamilton and Baker. Giants may not have a pass rush to help out.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

It's amazing how little writers know about the Bills, or rely on the echo chamber narrative of who we are. Unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Giants are trying to improve culture (the recent surprising cuts like Landon Collins) and the fan base is impatient

When does Daniel Jones become the starter? - he's winning over skeptics in media and fan base. Gettleman/Shurmur/Mara say it's Eli's job unless they're out of contention or Eli completely ***** the bed. Joe Marino suggests not putting a rookie QB in against the Bills, Vikings, or Pats. Patricia Traina doesn't seem confident that the Giants will be in the playoff hunt and that Jones will start before the end of the year.

Giants have two advantages on offense: Barkley and Engram. Patricia is frustrated at the lack of deep routes for Engram. Thinks they need to do a better job of getting Barkley in space. Thinks Shurmur isn't maximizing Eli's strengths.

Biggest concern- Their secondary is brutal. Cowboys consistently exploited Hamilton and Baker. Giants may not have a pass rush to help out.

Mmm, based on that my biggest worry is that our gameplan from last week it too much like what we should try to do this week and they now have tape on it.

Bluntly, I think our secondary matches up very well with their receivers, and I would think that shutting down the rush is of primary importance. On the other side of the ball, take advantage of a bad secondary and pass a lot. Maybe more rushing, as I don't think their Run D is as good as the Jets.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

While I am excited to hear they don’t have a pass rush, I worry that the small sample size that is only against the Dallas OL -  considered one of the best in the league - doesn’t mean as much :(

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

While I am excited to hear they don’t have a pass rush, I worry that the small sample size that is only against the Dallas OL -  considered one of the best in the league - doesn’t mean as much :(

Certainly. Every year we see teams look completely different from week 1 to 2. It's hard to get a great gauge on matchups until a few games have been played.

I think it's safe to say Giants receivers and secondary are not good. The Bills can make both their offense and defense one-dimensional. They just need to execute consistently.

• Like (+1) 2