First Half wasn't as awful as everyone is saying

mjt328

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And what was the final?

I'm guessing you were a box score jockey yesterday?

Am I missing something here? It was our home opener, on the road, against a division rival, with a pretty good defense, that has played us tough over the last few years.  They played well outside of some mistakes in the first half, particularly when they needed to,  and WON.  Why does, what should be a pretty positive day on the Monday after a big win, have such a tone of doom and gloom from so many posters? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Glad that you learned a new word today.  

:rolleyes:

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Am I missing something here? It was our home opener, on the road, against a division rival, with a pretty good defense, that has played us tough over the last few years.  They played well outside of some mistakes in the first half, particularly when they needed to,  and WON.  Why does, what should be a pretty positive day on the Monday after a big win, have such a tone of doom and gloom from so many posters? 

Because their manufactured "Josh Allen is inaccurate" narrative was utterly crapped upon.

Can't have that.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

No, its that what you said is not hownthe real world works.  You don't get to choose what you like, either you score or you don't.  Moving the balls for 600 yards is nothing if you don't score.  Call it "flukie" or whatever you want, but they coughed up the ball and couldn't finish.  They managed 17 points for a whole game.  That is what LOSES most games.  Just because the Jets sucked more, doesn't mean you have a "great offense".

There is luck involved too.  Bills had at least half a dozen tipped passes - none happened to go to a teammate.  

The Jets had ONE - it happened to fall directly into a teammate's hands.  LUCK plays a part.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

No, its that what you said is not hownthe real world works.  You don't get to choose what you like, either you score or you don't.  Moving the balls for 600 yards is nothing if you don't score.  Call it "flukie" or whatever you want, but they coughed up the ball and couldn't finish.  They managed 17 points for a whole game.  That is what LOSES most games.  Just because the Jets sucked more, doesn't mean you have a "great offense".

Sorry man, you are gonna need more than 100 posts before I start engaging in this type of troll analysis (sorry, the analysis isn't smart, so I am assuming this is a troll job) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Sorry man, you are gonna need more than 100 posts before I start engaging in this type of troll analysis (sorry, the analysis isn't smart, so I am assuming this is a troll job) 

Sorry you can't handle the truth. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

So by the OP's logic, the plays you don't like, dont count.  Makes sense to me!  I guess the fact that 0 points went on the board doesn't matter at all.

By your logic, I guess the win doesn't count.  Just the fact we had 4 turnovers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

We moved the ball almost every drive....but they got stalled by penalties or turnovers. 

So thats a positive takeaway. 

Agreed.  Lots to build on, and beats the he** out of straight 3 and outs.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

In review of yesterday's game, I keep reading how terrible and ineffective the Bills offense was until the 4th Quarter.  I completely disagree.

Were they mistake prone and sloppy at times?  Absolutely.

But when you really break it down, the offense was consistently putting together strong drives for a good chunk of the day.

I agree with this part.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

On the day, the Bills had the ball a total of 12 times. 

- One possession was the kneel down at the half. 

- One possession was running out the clock at the end of the game.

- Then you have the Cole Beasley bounce (pretty much a fluke), which was returned for a touchdown.  This drive was one play.

- Then you have the safety (bad call by the refs), which also lasted one play.

That leaves 8 true possessions for the Bills offense.

1.  Drive #1 (7 plays, 37 yards):  They easily marched down the field to the Jets 26 yard line.  Then Dion Dawkins missed a block, resulting in the sack/strip.

2.  Drive #3 (9 plays, 35 yards):  Another drive into scoring position, until the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on Jon Feliciano.

3.  Drive #4 (3 plays, 7 yards):  This was a really bad series, which also included the INT that was overturned by penalty.

4.  Drive #5 (9 plays, 58 yards):  Yet another very strong drive, ended by the botched snap on the QB sneak.

5.  Drive #6 (5 plays, 30 yards):  The offense was starting to move again.  Then we have the tipped pass, which was also intercepted.

6.  Drive #9 (9 plays, 50 yards):  Ended in our first 3 points of the day.

7.  Drive #10 (8 plays, 85 yards):  Touchdown

8.  Drive #11 (8 plays, 80 yards):  Touchdown

But yeah, as for this take - I agree with the folks who are pointing out that you seem to be discounting the drives you don't like.

When you look at the 1Q drive results "fumble...int....punt...punt...." - I'm sorry, you don't get to call it a "strong drive" when it fizzles.

What you can say is, yes, there are positives to build on, and if the Bills can move forward and get out of their own way, they can win

What you can't say is that "The Bills controlled the game on offense".

I mean, seriously?  If the fan of another team we beat came on here, and their offense was consistently stalled by turnovers and penalty but he said "our team controlled the ball on offense...we marched it down the field until we didn't...." we'd laugh, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Yes, national media including CBS coverage crews are lazy POS and love to go with the easy brainless take.

Rich Gannon was going on at length about #15 John Brown and how fast he is - when the Jets #15 caught the ball.  He was drunk all game or possible had a stroke.

I saw that!  I was like why is he talking about the Jets when he’s on the bills!

I only mentioned the graphic because Peterman last year had similar issues with batted passes and bad luck.  In no way am I saying Allen is Peterman.  They just compared how bad the start was to last year which I found to be astute given both being terrible starts with similar bad luck.

Again, I need a bigger sample size before I think Dabol is the answer here.  My issues wasn’t Allen, it was Dabol

Just now, mjt328 said:

By your logic, I guess the win doesn't count.  Just the fact we had 4 turnovers.

The win counts, but the fact that we had 4 drives stopped by turnovers and more by penalties or INT that was cancelled by penalty, counts too.  You can't say we "controlled the ball on offense" in those circs and call that logical thinking.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I understand your point, but they drove the field on every possession but two (the three and out and the safety).  If not for the turnovers (flukie turnovers), the Jets could not stop them.  I understand that an offense doesn't get the "great" tag when there are that many turnovers.  However, they moved the ball at will.  In the end, that is what "great" offenses do. 

Having been a Season Tix holder during the Glory Years, I’ve seen GREAT Bills  football, played by HOF players.

That era has been followed by endless stupid and losing error filled trailer trash this millennium. While we would always prefer that the Bills return to greatness, I’m just looking at the widgets in the NFL tables at week’s end. If they’re on the Left Side? ????? 

Just Win Baby!

But, I know greatness when I see it and it has been MIA in Bills’ uniforms for a looooooong time! I will chime in, once I see it.

I'm not a hater by any means, and I really appreciate the OP putting this together as it highlights positives that the Bills can and hopefully will build upon.  Some of Allen's INT's were not his fault.  The fumble/sack was.  He also got lucky.  The Jets dropped a pick right before our first FG/points of the game.  

All in all, the 1st half was as bad as it was.  Driving down the field to turn it over is BAD.  Good teams (Pats, Saints, Seattle, etc) don't do this.  It was a positive that we can move the ball, but we need to finish drives.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades as the saying goes.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The win counts, but I am not saying this was a good game, when it was clearly a horrible performance from both offenses.  I guess we could give the credit to the Bills O for actually scoring 25 points because Allen threw the touchdown to Mosley and Gore scored the safety, am I doing better now?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think there's a difference between 'doom and gloom' and saying that we were 'fortunate' to have won.  The Bills clearly looked the better team all day, but their game plan left them susceptible to week-1 mistakes, which is exactly what we saw.  Don't forget, our offense is made up of probably 75% new players.  So we still had to scramble to get the win in the 4th.  Without some very fortunate happenstances, this comeback wouldn't have been possible, and we'd be kicking ourselves.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RyanC883 said:

I'm not a hater by any means, and I really appreciate the OP putting this together as it highlights positives that the Bills can and hopefully will build upon.  Some of Allen's INT's were not his fault.  The fumble/sack was.  He also got lucky.  The Jets dropped a pick right before our first FG/points of the game.  

All in all, the 1st half was as bad as it was.  Driving down the field to turn it over is BAD.  Good teams (Pats, Saints, Seattle, etc) don't do this.  It was a positive that we can move the ball, but we need to finish drives.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades as the saying goes.  

Allen also had an INT overturned on a rather weak defensive holding call 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

AHH BBFS!!!!! I've been a fan since the 70s, They've been great some years, bad others, and mediocre others. What franchise can you not say that about?

NEWS FLASH: How YOU personally feel about the games has nothing to do with the outcome!

Just because for most of the last couple decades we've been bad, and you've just become a fan in that time, DOES NOT mean that they have to prove anything to you to be a good team.

LOGICALLY!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Allen also had an INT overturned on a rather weak defensive holding call 

Yes.  It's actually not Allen's scored INTs that bother me (I may change my mind when I look at the batted pass that was intercepted, but clearly some luck is involved there).

It's the INT that was overturned and the one that was dropped that bother me.  Those were bad QB decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

In review of yesterday's game, I keep reading how terrible and ineffective the Bills offense was until the 4th Quarter.  I completely disagree.

But when you really break it down, the offense was consistently putting together strong drives for a good chunk of the day.

- Then you have the Cole Beasley bounce (pretty much a fluke), which was returned for a touchdown.  This drive was one play.

1.  Drive #1 (7 plays, 37 yards):  They easily marched down the field to the Jets 26 yard line.  Then Dion Dawkins missed a block, resulting in the sack/strip.

2.  Drive #3 (9 plays, 35 yards):  Another drive into scoring position, until the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on Jon Feliciano.

3.  Drive #4 (3 plays, 7 yards):  This was a really bad series, which also included the INT that was overturned by penalty.

4.  Drive #5 (9 plays, 58 yards):  Yet another very strong drive, ended by the botched snap on the QB sneak.

5.  Drive #6 (5 plays, 30 yards):  The offense was starting to move again.  Then we have the tipped pass, which was also intercepted.

Bottom line... On a snap-by-snap basis, I felt like the Bills controlled the game on both sides.  Defense was outstanding all day.  The offense had some really bad bounces and bad luck.  They had some really bad mistakes at the wrong time.  The narrative is that something "woke the offense up" during the 4th quarter.  In reality, I think we just figured out how to finish our drives.

Been saying the same thing, We moved the ball very well on all of our drives against a very good defense. Looking forward to this week. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Bottom line... On a snap-by-snap basis, I felt like the Bills controlled the game on both sides.  Defense was outstanding all day.  The offense had some really bad bounces and bad luck.  They had some really bad mistakes at the wrong time.  The narrative is that something "woke the offense up" during the 4th quarter.  In reality, I think we just figured out how to finish our drives.

He had a 64% completion rate. Beasely catches the pick he’s at 67.5%. Beasely catches the sideline pass JAs at 70%. 

Too many mental errors that will get cleaned up:

Beasely cuts in, JA throws out.

The outside screen where the receiver got immediately blown up. The other two receivers blocked the same DB and left the other one free.

Fumbled snap.

This O is still a work in progress and we saw a lack of continuity due to a bunch of new piece

• Like (+1) 2