First Half wasn't as awful as everyone is saying

mjt328

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

What was the score after the first 3 quarters of the game again?  How many consecutive passing plays to start the game?  How many INTs, O-line miscommunications, and should-be-picks, and missed Jet FGs happened?

Yeah.. we totally had a solid game plan to secure a road win.

And what was the final?

I'm guessing you were a box score jockey yesterday?

1 minute ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I kept thinking to myself that he looks just like Peterman did in the first half.

He looked literally NOTHING like peterman in the first half.

That take is pure, hot trash.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

57 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I've also noticed a lot of criticism towards Brian Daboll's playcalling.  I thought it was great.

I disagree.  I thought it was a puzzling game plan for a young QB and an OL that has never taken a game snap together.

The Jets defensive strength is run defense.  Their weakness is pass defense.

And before the game, their players were throwing jabs at Josh Allen, saying they just needed to "make him play quarterback."

The pass-heavy approach was the right one.  And if not for the dumb mistakes that killed our drives and kept points off the board, everybody would be praising Daboll this morning.  He can't control everything.

I think this was one of those plans that look great on paper - you can see the logic in it, other things being equal.  But other things aren't equal.

For one thing, when you factor in that the Jets were down two starting LB (Copeland and Williamson), I don't think the sweeping statement "the Jets defensive strength is run D" makes sense.  It's a new season.  Starting Hewitt and Langi at LB, and you know their strength is run D?  Seriously?  I'd say "make 'em prove it", especially Langi at ILB.  Guy never started a game until yesterday.  Didn't play last year.

For another thing, with Morse never having taken a game snap with Allen and hardly having practiced with him or the OL, and with Allen bound to have his "ginger" up,  I think it would have helped a lot if they at least kept the Jets D honest by mixing it up.  Instead they pinned their ears back.

I don't see how you can say "the pass-heavy approach was the right one".  It was an interesting strategy, but the bottom line in the NFL is results, and the result was that we moved the ball but never scored, because miscues stopped us - and it almost cost us an eminently winnable game.

To me, it was a case of Daboll trying to be innovative and unexpected, but outsmarting himself in the end.

Hopefully, other teams will believe the "take" that Allen was ineffective and inaccurate and not look at the film and say "DAMN that kid can sling it"

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Ok, but let’s not go crazy the other way.

The Offense absolutely, was NOT “great”.

The D was in the ballpark for that word.

Unless, I missed it, Allen did not have a perfect rating as QB- as Dak & the “Running QB” did. He wasn’t Brady, nor even Rodgers against a monster D. or Mahomes or Stafford, etc.

He and the Offense were passable, but not in any way, dominant! They need to get better and have the luxury of two more stiffs to do so, before a real opponent shows up.

Go Bills! 

I understand your point, but they drove the field on every possession but two (the three and out and the safety).  If not for the turnovers (flukie turnovers), the Jets could not stop them.  I understand that an offense doesn't get the "great" tag when there are that many turnovers.  However, they moved the ball at will.  In the end, that is what "great" offenses do. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For one thing, when you factor in that the Jets were down two starting LB (Copeland and Williamson), I don't think the sweeping statement "the Jets defensive strength is run D" makes sense.  It's a new season.  Starting Hewitt and Langi at LB, and you know their strength is run D?  Seriously?  I'd say "make 'em prove it"

Their DL isn't raw.

Passing against that defense was THE play.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I understand your point, but they drove the field on every possession but two (the three and out and the safety).  If not for the turnovers (flukie turnovers), the Jets could not stop them.  I understand that an offense doesn't get the "great" tag when there are that many turnovers.  However, they moved the ball at will.  In the end, that is what "great" offenses do. 

Great offenses score points, losers move the ball and dont get anything from it.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And what was the final?

I'm guessing you were a box score jockey yesterday?

He looked literally NOTHING like peterman in the first half.

That take is pure, hot trash.

Hot trash?  The ricochet passes and the way the offense looked similar to Peterman last year.  They even put the graphic up comparing the first half to Peterman!  

Did no one see that?  Is no one here allowed to continue to be cautiously optimistic about this offense?  

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is where I think many of you are in the denial stages of BBFS.  You probably thought Tyrod was the answer too, like I did.  

I get everything you are saying, but results matter.  You don’t get a moral win for things you did right that don’t result in points.  If our defense didn’t play so well, most teams would have capitalized better on 4 turnovers.

Those mistakes negate the positives and typically lead to losses.  

Don’t confuse plays that give you hope as being better than results.  

Going 0-16, but losing every game by 3 points or less and having good stats still gets you fired.  

This mentality is what drives me crazy. You can't have it both ways.

We didn't get a MORAL WIN yesterday.

We got a real win.  Meaning 1-0 in the standings.

I'm not going to discount the details.  Mistakes and turnovers are something that needs to be cleaned up. 

But as I pointed out, the game wasn't just about dumb errors.  Our offense blocked well, passed well, and when it really counted... ran well too.

If you are going to say that 9 times out of 10, we lose a game with 4 turnovers and 0 points into the 4th quarter.... then fine.

But 9 times out of 10, we aren't going to turn the ball over 4 times.  And we aren't going to march up and down the field all day without scoring ANY points.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

20 years of reasons.  

Is that fair to the current team with new players, no.  

But, they need to prove they aren’t that team of the first half.  And, like many here, I look forward to them proving it 

People have to stop living in the past.   

It has little bearing on today and tomorrow IMO.  

1. "Change is the end result of all true learning." -Leo Buscaglia
  2. "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -Winston Churchill
  3. "Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes" -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  4. "If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
  5. "A tiny change today brings a dramatically different tomorrow." -Richard Bach
  6. "Change your thoughts and you change your world." -Norman Vincent Peale

https://www.inc.com/dave-kerpen/365-quotes-to-inspire-you-in-2014.html

Just now, JinxedBill1 said:

Hot trash?  The ricochet passes and the way the offense looked similar to Peterman last year.  They even put the graphic up comparing the first half to Peterman!  

Did no one see that?  Is no one here allowed to continue to be cautiously optimistic about this offense?  

Yes, hot trash. You can think whatever you want, and if you're letting CBS' production crews graphics influence you're thinking, that's a you problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It is almost like you didn't read a word of what I wrote.  

No, its that what you said is not hownthe real world works.  You don't get to choose what you like, either you score or you don't.  Moving the balls for 600 yards is nothing if you don't score.  Call it "flukie" or whatever you want, but they coughed up the ball and couldn't finish.  They managed 17 points for a whole game.  That is what LOSES most games.  Just because the Jets sucked more, doesn't mean you have a "great offense".

1 minute ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Yes, national media including CBS coverage crews are lazy POS and love to go with the easy brainless take.

Rich Gannon was going on at length about #15 John Brown and how fast he is - when the Jets #15 caught the ball.  He was drunk all game or possible had a stroke.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is where I think many of you are in the denial stages of BBFS.  You probably thought Tyrod was the answer too, like I did.  

I get everything you are saying, but results matter.  You don’t get a moral win for things you did right that don’t result in points.  If our defense didn’t play so well, most teams would have capitalized better on 4 turnovers.

Those mistakes negate the positives and typically lead to losses.  

Don’t confuse plays that give you hope as being better than results.  

Going 0-16, but losing every game by 3 points or less and having good stats still gets you fired.  

If they would have lost, especially held without a TD, I would have a much different attitude towards the game...

With that said, at halftime, they were down by 8 after turning the ball over 4 times.  Turnovers are a thing, but 2 were tipped passes and somewhat flukey.  They are all correctable.  

The Bills were moving the ball somewhat, on the road, against a stingy defense.  In the past, we would see a long line of 3-and-outs that include run-run-check down pass 5 yards shy of the 1st down line.  

Yesterday, they were converting on quick hit designed passes.  When Allen did have time and his primary was covered, he wasnt checking down to the RB.  He was able to go through a progression without getting wasted.  Stepped up properly a few times.  He also was able to donk it off at the right times.  All these things appeared to be progress over what we have seen throughout the drought.  

All these things can go up in flames real quick.  And it they turn it over 4 times next game, then we might have a problem.  The stupid un-timely penalties too.  Id rather have those problems than an inept 3-and-out factory

I also want to say that I am what I would consider a 'realist' fan, often getting accused here of being negative and rooting for the Bills to lose.

• Like (+1) 2