Play design Vs. Play calling Vs. Execution

Over the years I have been read countless threads and had countless discussions about whether offensive results  are a result of play calling or execution.  On the other hand, I have not been part of many discussions on play design.    I watched a 42 year old man wobble out to the field and put up a 125 passer rating last night.  I will concede that both his execution and the play calling were excellent.  But I swear at least half a dozen of the plays just looked completely unstoppable from the start.  During the Bills Jets game, I did not get that sense even once from either team. Maybe it is all because of execution and play calling.  I honestly don't know.  

How important is the actual play design? Do the Patriots really have unstoppable plays or is it just my imagination? 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

Unstoppable?  No.  Very difficult to stop?  yes.

Let's face it, you have a team with the GOAT at both HC and QB.  Plus perhaps one of the top 5 O line coaches of all time, plus a guy in McDaniel who should realize his purpose in life is to be an OC and quit thinking about being a HC.  As long as those guys are there, they are going to be extremely difficult to beat.  It is what it is.  This Pats era will go down as the greatest dynasty ever in pro sports.

Can the Bills give them a game?  Possibly.  Our DBs are among the best units in the league, and if the line can get pressure up the middle we have a puncher's chance to slow them down.  But odds are slim.  I just take it as a given each year that we lose two games to the Pats. 

Edited by oldmanfan

I love Gore, but they gotta get TJ some touches. He’s great out of the back field. And hes not a bad runner.

i just don’t know how long the Bills could continue to pass non stop. The 1st half was a mess because it was pass pass pass.... 

Id rather see Yeldon split out wide vs Dimarco. “But Dimarco is blocking” great, change it up!

9 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I love Gore, but they gotta get TJ some touches. He’s great out of the back field. And hes not a bad runner.

i just don’t know how long the Bills could continue to pass non stop. The 1st half was a mess because it was pass pass pass.... 

Id rather see Yeldon split out wide vs Dimarco. “But Dimarco is blocking” great, change it up!

The first half was a mess because of mistakes and penalties. They moved the ball just fine with the passing game. Each game is different and the pass to run ratio will change accordingly. Obviously, you want a more balanced attack. However, if they feel they need to emphasize one over the other in any particular game, I am good with that. I have complete confidence in Allen. He will make his mistakes, but, he will make some great plays too and will only continue to get better.

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Over the years I have been read countless threads and had countless discussions about whether offensive results  are a result of play calling or execution.  On the other hand, I have not been part of many discussions on play design.    I watched a 42 year old man wobble out to the field and put up a 125 passer rating last night.  I will concede that both his execution and the play calling were excellent.  But I swear at least half a dozen of the plays just looked completely unstoppable from the start.  During the Bills Jets game, I did not get that sense even once from either team. Maybe it is all because of execution and play calling.  I honestly don't know.  

How important is the actual play design? Do the Patriots really have unstoppable plays or is it just my imagination? 

The Patriots are just different . They are the most flexible team in the NFL for years on offence. What they do better than most is really use their personnel to it's maximum abilities..their scheme morphs not only year to year but week to week which makes them very hard to gameplan for and that is unique in the NFL. It makes them very hard to defend because there isn't much you can take away you can't just say oh let's double Edelman or let's take away gronk on the seams because then they will just attack you underneath with shifty quick rbs or find another diverse way to attack you  . It's why for example despite both offences being explosive the Rams were completely shut down and Andy's Reid's offences have always given belichick fits..Reid similar to the pats has an offence that's constantly evolving and changing and formational diversity that's very hard to key on . 

Edited by bills11