Mosley injury, Dabol play calling or both?

BuffaloMatt

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't confuse anemic with error prone. The Bills offense was plenty potent first half. But those turnovers erased the effort.

I don't understand what you are getting at?  Wait until you see All-22. 

There has to be a question of game plan design when you're playing against one of the best front 7s in the league with a very weak secondary, and Robert Foster is in for 14 plays, while DiMarco is in for a majority.  And then you split out #42 wide multiple times?   What's the most that play will gain you - 5 yards?

It's good to see Daboll waking up and start calling plays that exploited Jets' weaknesses in mid 3Q

I will say one thing, well a few things , I do not like the jets, didn’t like their free agency signings or draft, do not like Darnold. But................ They put their money on the field yesterday and that free agent class kicked our a** for 3 quarters. 

Mosley holy crap was in on everything and looked amazing, crowder caught what 11-12 balls and nobody could cover him short? Bell was bell and looked good. As much as I hate them I do have to throw them some credit for really utilizing and working in their new weapons, with that said I think Mosley going out obviously changed the game, the tempo and flow. Pretty obvious daboll was scared to run with Mosley in and once he was out the run game came alive, we don’t win that game without singletary showing out. Not sure he shows out with Mosley still in 

5 minutes ago, GG said:

There has to be a question of game plan design when you're playing against one of the best front 7s in the league with a very weak secondary, and Robert Foster is in for 14 plays, while DiMarco is in for a majority.  And then you split out #42 wide multiple times?   What's the most that play will gain you - 5 yards?

It's good to see Daboll waking up and start calling plays that exploited Jets' weaknesses in mid 3Q

I quoted your name on a post where someone showed stats by half. I was hoping you'd look at it. The Bills had plenty of offense in the first half. You just forget because it all got wiped out by an INT or fumble.

Here it is. Read that drive chart: 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Man some of you guys giving Mosley a little too much credit, good player who had the ball tipped right into his hands on that TD.

He got hurt but their D wore down late.  Some of you acting like he was changing the game in the first half when he was playing.  We fed them the ball 4 TIMES!!!  That was the difference, we stopped putting the ball on the ground and throwing picks.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Mosley is a very good linebacker, but let's not overdo it. First, Mosley WAS on the field for Singletary's first long run, during which he took an initial bad angle, was bullied by a pulling Mitch Morse and got away with a late hit out of bounds (I don't imagine Jerry Hughes would have dodged that!). Also, Mosley had his fair share of fortuitous bounces during the game. His pick-6 was a physics-defying gift -- and on the play he deflected the ball away from John Brown in the end zone, the ball somewhat miraculously hit his outstretched left hand (he never looked back on that play). So sure, Mosley played well, but it's a game of inches. Tre Edmunds had at least as good a game, but the talking heads ignore anybody whose name doesn't appear on the score sheet ...

Was going to say the same thing re the first Singletary run. Mosley is good— but don’t buy into the Rich Gannon per-game talking point narrative. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I quoted your name on a post where someone showed stats by half. I was hoping you'd look at it. The Bills had plenty of offense in the first half. You just forget because it all got wiped out by an INT or fumble.

That's a complete misdirection.  Once the field got shorter, Bills' O was forced into mistakes.   Bills didn't hit the red zone until the fourth quarter.  They didn't challenge Jets' secondary until late in 3Q.  I don't know if it was by Daboll's design or not, but the Bills got lucky in this game and Daboll's designs in the first half should be scrutinized.   You don't see McDaniels splitting Develin out wide for more than a play or two.   I counted 6+ plays where DiMarco was the wideout.  That's crazy against a weak secondary

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 32ABBA said:

Allen was having excellent drives the whole game, but they made some gaffes. They also started giving the ball to Singletary. 

Mosley had a good game, but it's getting overplayed. 

Mosley was basically single handedly shutting us down. "Good" is what Edmunds did. He probably snuffs out some of those runs if he is in. If he can't stay healthy they are basically done for the season. 

52 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

5% losing Mosley and 95% the Bills, including Dabold, executing properly on offense.

Can't folks just accept a thrilling Bills comeback win on the road against a Division rival without looking for excuses as to why they won? 

Well here's some excuses as to why the Bills didn't blow the Jets out in the FIRST HALF yesterday:

*  A lot of people are criticizing Dabold's pass happy opening but it worked.  The Bills moved the ball right down the field.  A blown block by the tackle and Allen not protecting the ball cost the Bills at least 3 & maybe 7 points.

*  A lot of people claim the Bills lucked out because the Jets missed an extra point & FG!  So what!  The Jets ONLY TD of the 1st half was a fluke play that 99/100 times would have been either a 5 yard gain or an incomplete pass. 

*  Did anyone consider that the 4th down "fumble" between Allen/Morse was a DIRECT result of Morse not being involved in any contact throughout the preseason?  This was his FIRST game of contact football this season.  Did you notice how much better Morse played in the 2nd half?  I suspect that the 1st half was a problem, including that fluky fumble, because Morse needed to adjust to the speed & physicality of the game.  Going forward the Bills will convert that 4th & one 9 times out of 10.

*  Or how about on 3rd & long Allen makes a nice run to put the Bills in FG range at the Jet's 24 only to see the yards lost on a ticky tacky dead ball taunting penalty against a Bill's O-lineman.

*  By my count if the breaks/fluke plays had evened out the Bills should have been up 13 - 3 at half!

*  The narrative that the Bills were lucky to win; that the offense and especially Allen were terrible in the 1st half just doesn't pass the smell test.  The Bills had multiple good drives in the 1st half that ended without points because of some fluky stuff that happens in week 1.  Throw in a 1/100 fluke pick 6 and you have a 1st half like we saw.

I also live in Cincinnati, and I would argue that everyone here is happier with their 1 point loss in Seattle than we are with our 1 point win. That BBFS is just a really strong negative force. I just went over to Jungle Noise and they are marking week 3 as a surefire win. If we had lost yesterday by a point, we would all be predicting 0-16.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

I also live in Cincinnati, and I would argue that everyone here is happier with their 1 point loss in Seattle than we are with our 1 point win. That BBFS is just a really strong negative force. I just went over to Jungle Noise and they are marking week 3 as a surefire win. If we had lost yesterday by a point, we would all be predicting 0-16.

Zac Taylor has experience playing Seattle coming from that division. I was still surprised by their performance but think that helped them. Note: Sam Hubbard is a beast but we knew that!!!

28 minutes ago, GG said:

That's a complete misdirection.  Once the field got shorter, Bills' O was forced into mistakes.   Bills didn't hit the red zone until the fourth quarter.  They didn't challenge Jets' secondary until late in 3Q.  I don't know if it was by Daboll's design or not, but the Bills got lucky in this game and Daboll's designs in the first half should be scrutinized.   You don't see McDaniels splitting Develin out wide for more than a play or two.   I counted 6+ plays where DiMarco was the wideout.  That's crazy against a weak secondary

Very smooth, GG. Move the goal posts. First you call them anemic. I counter that there was plenty of offense but turnovers detailed them. Then you say "well they didn't teach the red zone." Right. They had turnovers before they got there! That's not anemic. Whatever. Keep looking for that turd.

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Very smooth, GG. Move the goal posts. First you call them anemic. I counter that there was plenty of offense but turnovers detailed them. Then you say "well they didn't teach the red zone." Right. They had turnovers before they got there! That's not anemic. Whatever. Keep looking for that turd.

Zero points through nearly 3 quarters is the epitome of anemic.  Not hitting the red zone until the 4th quarter is anemic.  The turnovers were all of the forced variety, meaning the Bills didn't move the ball at will.  Jets' game plan was to force Allen into mistakes, which he did aplenty in the first half.

1 hour ago, GG said:

Foster is hurt. There's a reason he's not playing much now. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Foster is hurt. There's a reason he's not playing much now. 

I'll concede the Foster injury.  Then put McKenzie in there.   You're hurting the matchups by splitting Dimarco wide.  Now there's no reason for a anyone to worry about a deep throw to that side, and defense can cheat on the other players.   The only reason you run that play is if the D forgets to cover him.   There were a few opportunities when there wasn't a defender within 15 yards of him, but the Bills never snapped the ball quickly enough to have him that wide open.

1 minute ago, 32ABBA said:

Nah. Both turnover plays were gifts, that any other linebacker would have made. His coverage play was great. 

It wasn't even the turnovers I'm referring to. He was everywhere our plays were developing. Look at the stats YOLO posted.

34 minutes ago, GG said:

Zero points through nearly 3 quarters is the epitome of anemic.  Not hitting the red zone until the 4th quarter is anemic.  The turnovers were all of the forced variety, meaning the Bills didn't move the ball at will.  Jets' game plan was to force Allen into mistakes, which he did aplenty in the first half.

To those unable to look past a number, yes. You're flailing.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

23 minutes ago, GG said:

I'll concede the Foster injury.  Then put McKenzie in there.   You're hurting the matchups by splitting Dimarco wide.  Now there's no reason for a anyone to worry about a deep throw to that side, and defense can cheat on the other players.   The only reason you run that play is if the D forgets to cover him.   There were a few opportunities when there wasn't a defender within 15 yards of him, but the Bills never snapped the ball quickly enough to have him that wide open.

It's just a matchup thing. Having DiMarco in there allows them to go fast no huddle, and if the box is friendly, they have a fullback on the field to be a lead blocker if they want to power run. The real solution is to try to find a full back like Kyle Juszczyk, or just use Sweeney or Knox there, guys who are better receivers and can line up in the backfield as a fullback as well. 

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

To those unable to look past a number, yes. You're flailing.

The NFL is a results oriented business.  The number of points scored and allowed are the only numbers that matter in this game.  

Jets' goal going into the game was to force Allen to play like a QB, which he didn't do all that well in the first half.  Trying to find solace in hand picked statistics doesn't eliminate 0 points in nearly 3 quarters and no redzone trips until the 4th quarter.

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It's just a matchup thing. Having DiMarco in there allows them to go fast no huddle, and if the box is friendly, they have a fullback on the field to be a lead blocker if they want to power run. The real solution is to try to find a full back like Kyle Juszczyk, or just use Sweeney or Knox there, guys who are better receivers and can line up in the backfield as a fullback as well. 

Totally agree that it's a matchup thing.  My argument is that using DiMarco in the matchup thing for so many plays was detrimental and contributed to the anemic first half performance.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GG said:

The NFL is a results oriented business.  The number of points scored and allowed are the only numbers that matter in this game.  

Jets' goal going into the game was to force Allen to play like a QB, which he didn't do all that well in the first half.  Trying to find solace in hand picked statistics doesn't eliminate 0 points in nearly 3 quarters and no redzone trips until the 4th quarter.

If this is the Jets idea of forcing Allen to be a QB, then they suck at their job. Bills first half: 141 yards passing, 167 yards of total offense, 10 first downs. :lol: Take away the turnovers and it's a Bills rout. Keep swinging for the fences, GG.

Here are some more numbers if your head hasn't exploded yet.

Edited by PromoTheRobot