Mosley injury, Dabol play calling or both?

BuffaloMatt

There is no doubt that losing Mosley hurt them, but injuries happen in every game and coaches are there to make the adjustments.    McDermott  and Daboll made up for the poor offensive strategy in the first half by doing this at the end.    A little bit of a lucky break in a way for Buffalo, but it still takes good play and coaching to capitalize on it and come back like they did.

49 minutes ago, teef said:

i figured it was a bit of both.  why they refused to work the run game to start the game i have no idea.

Guessing they wanted uptempo with time at LOS to diagnose what the defense was trying to do. It worked OTHER than the flukey turnovers

I for one loved how they came out to start the game. It was methodical and very New England like ad clearly scripted. Allen was very good, then he fumbled the ball. So much empty early causes teams to open up the box a little bit. I saw nothing wrong with the strategy, but I do wish they would push the ball down the field more. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Guessing they wanted uptempo with time at LOS to diagnose what the defense was trying to do. It worked OTHER than the flukey turnovers

the ball was being moved quite well until...ya know.  

The Bills didn’t win because Mosley got injured, they won because they are a better team than the Jets. When Johnson went down Neal stepped in and Bills defense didn’t miss a beat. An offense or defense being reliant on one player is a recipe for disaster. The QB position being the exception, but that’s why the rules protect them more. At the beginning of the game the play calling was odd, but seemed to be working until they shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. That being said the offensive needs to settle down. Since when was rotating tackles a thing? If Ford was struggling and you pull him so be it, but the position that that was the plan is suspect.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

60% playcalling. 40% Injury.  The injury allowed for some different play calling, but they were going to have to get the running game going, just to keep the defense honest.  The Jets defense looked like a top 5 defense.  They have serious players.

We get them again on Dec 29.  Lets hope that game still matters to the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

5% losing Mosley and 95% the Bills, including Dabold, executing properly on offense.

Can't folks just accept a thrilling Bills comeback win on the road against a Division rival without looking for excuses as to why they won? 

Well here's some excuses as to why the Bills didn't blow the Jets out in the FIRST HALF yesterday:

*  A lot of people are criticizing Dabold's pass happy opening but it worked.  The Bills moved the ball right down the field.  A blown block by the tackle and Allen not protecting the ball cost the Bills at least 3 & maybe 7 points.

*  A lot of people claim the Bills lucked out because the Jets missed an extra point & FG!  So what!  The Jets ONLY TD of the 1st half was a fluke play that 99/100 times would have been either a 5 yard gain or an incomplete pass. 

*  Did anyone consider that the 4th down "fumble" between Allen/Morse was a DIRECT result of Morse not being involved in any contact throughout the preseason?  This was his FIRST game of contact football this season.  Did you notice how much better Morse played in the 2nd half?  I suspect that the 1st half was a problem, including that fluky fumble, because Morse needed to adjust to the speed & physicality of the game.  Going forward the Bills will convert that 4th & one 9 times out of 10.

*  Or how about on 3rd & long Allen makes a nice run to put the Bills in FG range at the Jet's 24 only to see the yards lost on a ticky tacky dead ball taunting penalty against a Bill's O-lineman.

*  By my count if the breaks/fluke plays had evened out the Bills should have been up 13 - 3 at half!

*  The narrative that the Bills were lucky to win; that the offense and especially Allen were terrible in the 1st half just doesn't pass the smell test.  The Bills had multiple good drives in the 1st half that ended without points because of some fluky stuff that happens in week 1.  Throw in a 1/100 fluke pick 6 and you have a 1st half like we saw.

1 hour ago, teef said:

i figured it was a bit of both.  why they refused to work the run game to start the game i have no idea.

To try to expose that secondary, which they were doing until the screwups happened. Allen had 150 yds passing at the half.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

To try to expose that secondary, which they were doing until the screwups happened. Allen had 150 yds passing at the half.

it's hard to ignore the turnovers, but he really was moving the ball effectively.  

• Like (+1) 1

As one of the morning WGR jockeys pointed out this AM, they don't have any asterisks by the Patsies latest trophy, just because the Rams didn't have a healthy Gurley playing in the SB, right? It's a next man up league, and no one cares to mark the W-L records any less for it. The Bills made adjustments after the half, the Jests did not, and it showed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

I'd say Daboll's playcalling was responsible for the anemic 1st half. 

I'll wait until I see more on All-22, but I though Daboll was being too cute in the 1st half.  I thought that they had too much motion to try to catch Jets off balance, but the Bills never snapped the ball to exploit the mismatches.   In the first drive, a split out DiMarco was wide open for a while, but Jets recovered before the snap. 

My problem is that Daboll kept going back to that formation throughout the game, even as the Jets caught on.   I understand that Daboll is trying to set the offense for the rest of the year, and hopefully they'll be able to exploit this movement once the offense gets more comfortable, but this was also  game where the opponent had a very weak secondary, and Daboll didn't do enough to expose the real weakness.   This game should not have been this close.

Don't confuse anemic with error prone. The Bills offense was plenty potent first half. But those turnovers erased the effort.

• Like (+1) 3

Mosley is a very good linebacker, but let's not overdo it. First, Mosley WAS on the field for Singletary's first long run, during which he took an initial bad angle, was bullied by a pulling Mitch Morse and got away with a late hit out of bounds (I don't imagine Jerry Hughes would have dodged that!). Also, Mosley had his fair share of fortuitous bounces during the game. His pick-6 was a physics-defying gift -- and on the play he deflected the ball away from John Brown in the end zone, the ball somewhat miraculously hit his outstretched left hand (he never looked back on that play). So sure, Mosley played well, but it's a game of inches. Tre Edmunds had at least as good a game, but the talking heads ignore anybody whose name doesn't appear on the score sheet ...

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

*  Or how about on 3rd & long Allen makes a nice run to put the Bills in FG range at the Jet's 24 only to see the yards lost on a ticky tacky dead ball taunting penalty against a Bill's O-lineman.

While at the same time ignoring Mosley wagging his finger at Allen while getting up from the tackle. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigPappy said:

The comparison between them is accurate yes, but Gore is not "Thunder" anymore. He's just old.If they want a "ground & pound" type they can go out and get someone much younger I am sure. He didn't look very good to me yesterday.

He’s not “just old”.  He looked just like Shady did all of last season.  He’d get the ball and get hit because the line couldn’t open a hole for him.  Singletary on the other hand, had gaping holes.

3 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

While at the same time ignoring Mosley wagging his finger at Allen while getting up from the tackle. 

Great point Rockpile.  I remember saying to my son that there should have been TWO dead ball taunting fouls on that play.  Overall the refs did a nice job but that miss cost the Bills 3 points.