Mosley injury, Dabol play calling or both?

BuffaloMatt

To me the elephant in the room is the Mosley injury. I know we gave them points off turnovers but clearly the game turned when Mosley went out with the groin injury. That said, they also went to a run first offense, not sure why they were so pass heavy for first three quarters. Was its Mosley's presence or just Dabol adjusting? Or Both?  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

To me the elephant in the room is the Mosley injury. I know we gave them points off turnovers but clearly the game turned when Mosley went out with the groin injury. That said, they also went to a run first offense, not sure why they were so pass heavy for first three quarters. Was its Mosley's presence or just Dabol adjusting? Or Both?  

The Jets have one of the worst LB corps outside of Mosley  When he went off the field, there were enough gaping holes and the Bills exploited.  Kudos to Dabol and Josh for recognizing the  coverage.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Have to remember that is also the point Singletary started getting touches. 

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i figured it was a bit of both.  why they refused to work the run game to start the game i have no idea.

Glad i'm not the only one to notice this. Dabol was pass happy in the first half. They should have fed the ball to Singletary more in the first half. And I am sorry, but it was a HUGE mistake getting rid of Shady over Gore. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'd say Daboll's playcalling was responsible for the anemic 1st half. 

I'll wait until I see more on All-22, but I though Daboll was being too cute in the 1st half.  I thought that they had too much motion to try to catch Jets off balance, but the Bills never snapped the ball to exploit the mismatches.   In the first drive, a split out DiMarco was wide open for a while, but Jets recovered before the snap. 

My problem is that Daboll kept going back to that formation throughout the game, even as the Jets caught on.   I understand that Daboll is trying to set the offense for the rest of the year, and hopefully they'll be able to exploit this movement once the offense gets more comfortable, but this was also  game where the opponent had a very weak secondary, and Daboll didn't do enough to expose the real weakness.   This game should not have been this close.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Glad i'm not the only one to notice this. Dabol was pass happy in the first half. They should have fed the ball to Singletary more in the first half. And I am sorry, but it was a HUGE mistake getting rid of Shady over Gore. 

I think Shady and Singletary have a very similar style of play.  They are the flashy, speedy, illusive, pass catching running back.  Gore is the pounder.  The Bills have their own version of Thunder and Lightning with Gore and Singletary on the roster.   Keeping Shady would have been redundant and expensive.  

• Like (+1) 2

60% playcalling. 40% Injury.  The injury allowed for some different play calling, but they were going to have to get the running game going, just to keep the defense honest.  The Jets defense looked like a top 5 defense.  They have serious players.

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Shady and Singletary have a very similar style of play.  They are the flashy, speedy, illusive, pass catching running back.  Gore is the pounder.  The Bills have their own version of Thunder and Lightning with Gore and Singletary on the roster.   Keeping Shady would have been redundant and expensive.  

The comparison between them is accurate yes, but Gore is not "Thunder" anymore. He's just old.If they want a "ground & pound" type they can go out and get someone much younger I am sure. He didn't look very good to me yesterday.

28 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Allen was having excellent drives the whole game, but they made some gaffes. They also started giving the ball to Singletary. 

Mosley had a good game, but it's getting overplayed. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BigPappy said:

The comparison between them is accurate yes, but Gore is not "Thunder" anymore. He's just old.If they want a "ground & pound" type they can go out and get someone much younger I am sure. He didn't look very good to me yesterday.

Fair point.

11 minutes ago, GG said:

I'd say Daboll's playcalling was responsible for the anemic 1st half. 

I'll wait until I see more on All-22, but I though Daboll was being too cute in the 1st half.  I thought that they had too much motion to try to catch Jets off balance, but the Bills never snapped the ball to exploit the mismatches.   In the first drive, a split out DiMarco was wide open for a while, but Jets recovered before the snap. 

My problem is that Daboll kept going back to that formation throughout the game, even as the Jets caught on.   I understand that Daboll is trying to set the offense for the rest of the year, and hopefully they'll be able to exploit this movement once the offense gets more comfortable, but this was also  game where the opponent had a very weak secondary, and Daboll didn't do enough to expose the real weakness.   This game should not have been this close.

I wonder how many of those were called run plays that Allen audibled out of.... he was changing calls at the line a lot the first few drives.

I don’t think that with Mosley gone that the middle of the Jets D. was much weaker. Not with the stud tackles they have! They  allowed Mosley to run free of blockers pretty much! His speed to the edge was missed though. Don’t know if that was why Singletary got the ball or not. Those runs really helped change the momentum for sure.

Gore looked like an old, tired back. A Great player destined for the HOF but past the point that he can impose his will on a defense!

13 minutes ago, 5 Wide said:

I wonder how many of those were called run plays that Allen audibled out of.... he was changing calls at the line a lot the first few drives.

I was just about to type the same thing.  It felt like those were at-the-line audibles, not scripted formation changes.  

Plus, the personnel they had out were running personnel (FB, RB, TE).

My opinion of the game was that the Bills came in with way too optimistic of a game plan, that Allen would be running a high powered offense to light up the Jets.  It felt like the Bills could have eventually won a conservative battle of running and punting if that had been the initial plan. It almost bit us, but then the Moseley injury and Jets kicking game saved us.  Still gotta give credit to Allen and the offense execution in the 4th.

• Like (+1) 1