Jump to content
Simon

Edmunds, Oliver & Morse are a great foundation

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, AKC said:

Alternatively the calculation could have been that #1 having Singletary on the roster was going to limit McCoys touches and #2 they seem to be building some goodwill as a player friendly organization and letting Shady find a spot more ideal for him would be consistent with that reputation. I haven’t seen a single negative thing from him about his time in Buff, leading me to believe Beane managed that very well. Bottom line is money could have been a lesser factor to them. I’m not sure Shady would have been content waiting for the rookie to be limited by injury or performance issues. 

Wow, great to see you here! I hope all is well!!! :)

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

 

Right now, Ford needs to be playing RG. He's clearly behind Nsekhe at RT

OK with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wow, great to see you here! I hope all is well!!! :)

OK with me.

 

Me too.  I said back when he was drafted that I felt he could definitely play guard, but hoped he could play tackle.

 

Start him at RG for now; rotate him with Mongo (who doesn't deserve to lose the RG spot) on a per-series basis if you want to, but don't leave him out there at RT where he got beat up yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wow, great to see you here! I hope all is well!!! :)

I figure if Simon can get far enough away from the oxygen tank to dust off his PS2 keyboard I can find a little time to chime in! Good to see you here too- KTDog told me you'd had some time down and I'm very happy to know you're on your feet. GG must be the most durable among us- he doesn't seem to get too frustrated with the trollhood and poorly mannered fans personally disparaging our team! Things are great out in my land- far away from the crowds and spending almost every day taking in the wonders of California's Central Coast after 35 years in SoCal. A long strange trip starting in Wellsville way back before our Bills were born!

Edited by AKC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it could be the start of great run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AKC said:

I figure if Simon can get far enough away from the oxygen tank to dust off his PS2 keyboard I can find a little time to chime in! Good to see you here too- KTDog told me you'd had some time down and I'm very happy to know you're on your feet. GG must be the most durable among us- he doesn't seem to get too frustrated with the trollhood and poorly mannered fans personally disparaging our team! Things are great out in my land- far away from the crowds and spending almost every day taking in the wonders of California's Central Coast after 35 years in SoCal. A long strange trip starting in Wellsville way back before our Bills were born!

 

Holy spit, you salty old reprobate. If you've risen from the dead, I may just have to put up my boots and stick around for a while.

Glad to see life is treating you the way you deserve; I imagine it knows better by now than to attempt anything else.

And if Shady is ripping of 1500 yrds from scrimmage while Frank Gore's body is breaking down and the Bills are forcing themselves into nothing but empty sets on 3rd down because a gill-green rookie can't pick up loose rushers, we'll revisit this topic down the road.

Cheers, brother.... :beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Simon said:

 

While I don't agree, I do appreciate you at least taking the time.

I consider TE's to be primarily OLinemen, which means in my mind there are 7 positions on the offensive line. Of those 7 positions only two of them are being manned by quality NFL starters. When you have a prospect like Allen on board, you've got to do more than that to protect him.

 

 

Huh?  Which two?  I assume you mean Morse, which is the other one?  I think Dawkins has shown himself to be a legitimate starter.  Spain certainly has.  Ford is a rookie but has tons of potential.  Long, Feliciano, and Nsekhe have all shown starter capability at some point.  If you really consider TE to be an O-lineman then Lee Smith is excellent quality.  Did you watch the tape of Sunday's game to see how well Sweeney and Knox were blocking?  (Hint:  really well)

 

Your overall assessment of Beane is pretty shortsighted in my opinion.  I've opined previously that last year's FAs were not intended to make the Bills great...they were placeholders in what they knew would be a lost season.  Only Lotulelei was expected to be a real part of the rebuild.  This year, what were the Bills' known weaknesses heading into free agency?  The OL and the WRs.  What did Beane do?  Replaced virtually the whole OL and brought in two new starters at WR.  How can a GM target needs any better?  And next season they will have a crap ton of money and are already stockpiling draft picks (because of Beane's ability to get something for nothing).

 

I honestly don't know where the incessant criticism of Beane comes from, judging from where this organization has been and how it looks now.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:49 AM, ScottLaw said:

Good post.

Preaching to the choir brotha. Most concerning has been their evaluation of the WR position, although John Brown impressed yesterday.

 

Must be the smallest choir in the history of choirs.  He basically preaching to 2 or 3 people here.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dialed in on Oliver on a handful of plays- lightning quick off the ball, fast hands, high motor- reminds me of Warren Sapp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Simon said:

Cheers, brother.... :beer:

 

Although important elements of it are in development, methinks our TE corps may become very good as the season progresses. I will make sure that my Happy Hour set this afternoon includes a Yuengling product!

 

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Simon and AKC?! Welcome to the 90s! 

 

You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that, do ya? On a weekday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:24 AM, Epstein's Mother said:

 

Because Donohoe and Whaley would have never whiffed on those.

It's something that never ceases to puzzle me.  When Donahoe was GM of the Steelers, year after year he's lose top tier free agents and come up with solid replacements.  With the Bills, he rarely came up with anyone top tier or really solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AKC said:

 

Although important elements of it are in development, methinks our TE corps may become very good as the season progresses. I will make sure that my Happy Hour set this afternoon includes a Yuengling product!

 

 

You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that, do ya? On a weekday?

I never looked for a job 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eball said:

 

Huh?  Which two?  I assume you mean Morse, which is the other one?  I think Dawkins has shown himself to be a legitimate starter.  Spain certainly has.  Ford is a rookie but has tons of potential.  Long, Feliciano, and Nsekhe have all shown starter capability at some point.  If you really consider TE to be an O-lineman then Lee Smith is excellent quality.  Did you watch the tape of Sunday's game to see how well Sweeney and Knox were blocking?  (Hint:  really well)

 

Your overall assessment of Beane is pretty shortsighted in my opinion.  I've opined previously that last year's FAs were not intended to make the Bills great...they were placeholders in what they knew would be a lost season.  Only Lotulelei was expected to be a real part of the rebuild.  This year, what were the Bills' known weaknesses heading into free agency?  The OL and the WRs.  What did Beane do?  Replaced virtually the whole OL and brought in two new starters at WR.  How can a GM target needs any better?  And next season they will have a crap ton of money and are already stockpiling draft picks (because of Beane's ability to get something for nothing).

 

I honestly don't know where the incessant criticism of Beane comes from, judging from where this organization has been and how it looks now.

Dawkins has been inconsistent at best. Solid rookie year and up and down since. Had a bad year overall last season and didn't have a good game Sunday.

 

Feliciano looks to be a good find. Morse is solid but a risk due to the concussions so who knows how long he's around for. Ford has struggled mightily to this point. Still I think it has the makings of a solid line.

 

They certainly could've done more at the WR position. Remember, these guys didn't draft ONE reciever. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How is a franchise QB not part of the great foundation?

Well, either it is a passive aggressive way of being snide about Allen or, more likely, the OP was about building strength in the middle of the O and D line as the proper way to build a team. In that case, qb just doesn't factor in, even if one thinks Allen is the most important piece.

Edited by Dr. Who

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 12:34 AM, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Excellent observation. Lotulelei is not the extraordinary talent that Edmunds and Oliver are but he also represents another heavy investment up the middle of that D. 

 

...speaking of Star, plenty of negatives here about him being" a bust....waste grossly overpaid, yada yada" etc...first was there a realistic expectation from TBD pundits that he would be a "stat guy" come Monday morning?...what do you see exactly as his defined role and does he meet your expectations?....thanks.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, either it is a passive aggressive way of being snide about Allen or, more likely, the OP was about building strength in the middle of the O and D line as the proper way to build a team. In that case, qb just doesn't factor in, even if one thinks Allen is the most important piece.

OP totally entitled to their opinion....but everyone knows if you dont have a QB you got NUTHIN

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, eball said:

 

Huh?  Which two?  I assume you mean Morse, which is the other one?  I think Dawkins has shown himself to be a legitimate starter. .....

 

I honestly don't know where the incessant criticism of Beane comes from, judging from where this organization has been and how it looks now.

 

Yeah I was referring to Dawkins. As for the other OL they've added I'm going to wait and see before I get too comfortable with Beane's work in the pro personnel dept.

As for my incessant criticism, you did notice I started the thread with the express purpose of praising the assets he's used to build a strong foundation in the middle of the field?

 

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Simon and AKC?! Welcome to the 90s! 

Holy schnikes, my friend. I barely lived through that decade the first time; I am not rolling those deadly bones again!

 

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, either it is a passive aggressive way of being snide about Allen or, more likely, the OP was about building strength in the middle of the O and D line as the proper way to build a team. In that case, qb just doesn't factor in, even if one thinks Allen is the most important piece.

 

Yeah, that was definitely the intent. I almost put Allen in cuz technically he's in the middle of the field, but the fit didn't seem quite right for what I was going for.

fwiw, I think young Josh is going ot be a very effective QB in this league and probably for a very long time.

And I would never be snide about it; I freely admit I'm an enormous jackass and would just come right and say it without equivocation ; - )

 

 

 

 

On 9/9/2019 at 10:14 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Hey, GREAT to hear from you Brother!

 

Did you like Cody Ford coming out of Oklahoma? Others balked at this selection but I happened to like it (surprised?). I think that his development will mean a great deal to this team.

 

Good to "see" you too, old man. :thumbsup:

I haven't been watching enough ball the last couple years to intelligently give input on Ford. But I will say that I am happy that Beane at least seems to recognize that he needs a gaggle of mean mutherjumpers out in front of that talented young QB

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Dawkins has been inconsistent at best. Solid rookie year and up and down since. Had a bad year overall last season and didn't have a good game Sunday.

 

Feliciano looks to be a good find. Morse is solid but a risk due to the concussions so who knows how long he's around for. Ford has struggled mightily to this point. Still I think it has the makings of a solid line.

 

They certainly could've done more at the WR position. Remember, these guys didn't draft ONE reciever. 

You know, sometimes... it's like with mac and cheese.. You stir it up, you stir up you stir it up and it's gonna get wet and juicy. 

Stay humble and hungry my friends!
 

 

 

 

Edited by BillsFan692

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 10:20 AM, thebandit27 said:

 

Right now, Ford needs to be playing RG. He's clearly behind Nsekhe at RT

 

 

Unless Nsekhe is really hurting I can't see how they came to the conclusion that Ford should be starting at RT.

 

Together they had some nice moments in preseason and this looked like a no-brainer decision.

 

I get not wanting to expose Nsekhe because he's the only real option at LT if Dawkins got hurt..........but you can't sit the better tackle.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

Unless Nsekhe is really hurting I can't see how they came to the conclusion that Ford should be starting at RT.

 

Together they had some nice moments in preseason and this looked like a no-brainer decision.

 

I get not wanting to expose Nsekhe because he's the only real option at LT if Dawkins got hurt..........but you can't sit the better tackle.

 

 

 

Agreed.

 

Seems to me that they know he's not the better player, but they also know that they want him to be their future RT, so they're trying to get him as much work as possible at the position.

 

Me? I'd rather play the best combination of 5.

 

Based on what I saw on Sunday, I'm not convinced he's a better option at RG than Mongo either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for him!! But I wonder if it can be ordered as a "sack" lunch😬? (Sorry, just had to go there...) 

On 9/9/2019 at 3:34 AM, LeGOATski said:

I'm 100% sold on that guy.

 

Bring him in.

 

Head of security.

I don't know. Maybe game planning? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:17 AM, Simon said:

There's a couple of things that are pretty concerning.

One is that I don't think he's done nearly enough to put a support system around Josh Allen that will enable him to reach his potential. When you get your hands on a legitimate blue chip QB prospect like that, your #1 priority instantly becomes surrounding him with the kind of talent that will help him succeed. Instead, after two offseasons of opportunities for Beane, Josh Allen is still standing back there behind what is mostly a patchwork offensive line, without a legitimate starting NFL TE, throwing to a bunch of smurfs with a 3 foot catch radius, all being coached by a guy who might have the worst track record in the entire NFL as an offensive coordinator. That is not a recipe for success and he has to do better.

The other thing that is worrying is the way he's managed the pro personnel aspect of the roster so far. The shotgun approach to FA is not necessarily bad in and of itself. Yeah, you're going to have a bunch of misses, that's just the nature of the beast. But what Beane has brought in here thus far hasn't just been bad, it's been historically bad. That gawdawful mess of signings last year was a failure on an epic scale; you might be hard pressed to find a worse batch of FA additions in the history of this franchise. He has a chance to show improved decision-making this year as it relates to how he manages to his professional roster, but starting the season by cutting the RB with the best combination of talent/experience/versatility in order to save a few bucks does not exactly inspire confidence.

I'm not hoping for him to be fired or anything, but if he doesn't show significant improvement in these two areas his tenure here is going to be neither successful nor sustained.

 

Its only patchwork in the sense they havent had time to play together enough. In time this line will become a strength. The impatientness of people on this board is astounding. This isnt Madden where you just plug pieces in and they play according to their ratings immediately.  OLine play very complex, has a lot of moving parts and it takes time for everyone to understand what the others will do in various situations and know how to adjust, etc.

 

Its basically 5 players required to play as a single unit. One breakdown along the line can blow up a play even when the other 4 players are doing their job.

 

Patience...not everything is going to happen right away. Real life is not a video game.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

Agreed.

 

Seems to me that they know he's not the better player, but they also know that they want him to be their future RT, so they're trying to get him as much work as possible at the position.

 

Me? I'd rather play the best combination of 5.

 

Based on what I saw on Sunday, I'm not convinced he's a better option at RG than Mongo either.

 

 

 

My guess is despite struggling and to our displeasure Ford will be back out at RT Sunday because as you said they want to develop him........and now they have a minor dilemma because Ford really shouldn't be getting the start over Feliciano if he continues to struggle at RT and Nsekhe needs to play.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...