Edmunds, Oliver & Morse are a great foundation

Simon

1 hour ago, Simon said:

While I don't agree, I do appreciate you at least taking the time.

I consider TE's to be primarily OLinemen, which means in my mind there are 7 positions on the offensive line. Of those 7 positions only two of them are being manned by quality NFL starters. When you have a prospect like Allen on board, you've got to do more than that to protect him.

Then you go find them.  Where are they, because every team in the NFL is looking for them.

What did they do?  They signed a good C in Morse, they signed two guys with experience in the middle with Long and Feliciano, drafted a young promising lineman in Ford in round 2, brought in Nseke at a tackle who had showed well when given an opportunity.  Brought in a solid veteran blocking TE in Smith.

I don't mind warranted criticism, but you're just way off base here.  This is a problem for the entire league, finding quality O linemen, and you make it sound like it's a walk in the park.  I will say again, signing this many O linemen to give Allen more protection and to provide more depth is a highlight of the offseason, not a lowlight.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

starting the season by cutting the RB with the best combination of talent/experience/versatility in order to save a few bucks

Alternatively the calculation could have been that #1 having Singletary on the roster was going to limit McCoys touches and #2 they seem to be building some goodwill as a player friendly organization and letting Shady find a spot more ideal for him would be consistent with that reputation. I haven’t seen a single negative thing from him about his time in Buff, leading me to believe Beane managed that very well. Bottom line is money could have been a lesser factor to them. I’m not sure Shady would have been content waiting for the rookie to be limited by injury or performance issues. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, AKC said:

Alternatively the calculation could have been that #1 having Singletary on the roster was going to limit McCoys touches and #2 they seem to be building some goodwill as a player friendly organization and letting Shady find a spot more ideal for him would be consistent with that reputation. I haven’t seen a single negative thing from him about his time in Buff, leading me to believe Beane managed that very well. Bottom line is money could have been a lesser factor to them. I’m not sure Shady would have been content waiting for the rookie to be limited by injury or performance issues. 

Or for Shady to quietly sit on the sidelines for 2+ quarters before touching the ball in the season opener :)

(BTW, is this thread The Dream Team sequel?)

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I consider TE's to be primarily OLinemen, which means in my mind there are 7 positions on the offensive line. Of those 7 positions only two of them are being manned by quality NFL starters. When you have a prospect like Allen on board, you've got to do more than that to protect him.

If we're going to consider TE's O-linemen... 2 of singletary's runs were sprung because of Lee Smith's blocking .

20 minutes ago, AKC said:

Wow, great to see you here! I hope all is well!!! :)

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Right now, Ford needs to be playing RG. He's clearly behind Nsekhe at RT

OK with me.

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK with me.

Me too.  I said back when he was drafted that I felt he could definitely play guard, but hoped he could play tackle.

Start him at RG for now; rotate him with Mongo (who doesn't deserve to lose the RG spot) on a per-series basis if you want to, but don't leave him out there at RT where he got beat up yesterday.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I figure if Simon can get far enough away from the oxygen tank to dust off his PS2 keyboard I can find a little time to chime in! Good to see you here too- KTDog told me you'd had some time down and I'm very happy to know you're on your feet. GG must be the most durable among us- he doesn't seem to get too frustrated with the trollhood and poorly mannered fans personally disparaging our team! Things are great out in my land- far away from the crowds and spending almost every day taking in the wonders of California's Central Coast after 35 years in SoCal. A long strange trip starting in Wellsville way back before our Bills were born!

Edited by AKC
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, AKC said:

I figure if Simon can get far enough away from the oxygen tank to dust off his PS2 keyboard I can find a little time to chime in! Good to see you here too- KTDog told me you'd had some time down and I'm very happy to know you're on your feet. GG must be the most durable among us- he doesn't seem to get too frustrated with the trollhood and poorly mannered fans personally disparaging our team! Things are great out in my land- far away from the crowds and spending almost every day taking in the wonders of California's Central Coast after 35 years in SoCal. A long strange trip starting in Wellsville way back before our Bills were born!

Holy spit, you salty old reprobate. If you've risen from the dead, I may just have to put up my boots and stick around for a while.

Glad to see life is treating you the way you deserve; I imagine it knows better by now than to attempt anything else.

And if Shady is ripping of 1500 yrds from scrimmage while Frank Gore's body is breaking down and the Bills are forcing themselves into nothing but empty sets on 3rd down because a gill-green rookie can't pick up loose rushers, we'll revisit this topic down the road.

Cheers, brother.... :beer:

23 hours ago, Simon said:

Huh?  Which two?  I assume you mean Morse, which is the other one?  I think Dawkins has shown himself to be a legitimate starter.  Spain certainly has.  Ford is a rookie but has tons of potential.  Long, Feliciano, and Nsekhe have all shown starter capability at some point.  If you really consider TE to be an O-lineman then Lee Smith is excellent quality.  Did you watch the tape of Sunday's game to see how well Sweeney and Knox were blocking?  (Hint:  really well)

Your overall assessment of Beane is pretty shortsighted in my opinion.  I've opined previously that last year's FAs were not intended to make the Bills great...they were placeholders in what they knew would be a lost season.  Only Lotulelei was expected to be a real part of the rebuild.  This year, what were the Bills' known weaknesses heading into free agency?  The OL and the WRs.  What did Beane do?  Replaced virtually the whole OL and brought in two new starters at WR.  How can a GM target needs any better?  And next season they will have a crap ton of money and are already stockpiling draft picks (because of Beane's ability to get something for nothing).

I honestly don't know where the incessant criticism of Beane comes from, judging from where this organization has been and how it looks now.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 9/9/2019 at 9:49 AM, ScottLaw said:

Good post.

Preaching to the choir brotha. Most concerning has been their evaluation of the WR position, although John Brown impressed yesterday.

Must be the smallest choir in the history of choirs.  He basically preaching to 2 or 3 people here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Simon said:

Cheers, brother.... :beer:

Although important elements of it are in development, methinks our TE corps may become very good as the season progresses. I will make sure that my Happy Hour set this afternoon includes a Yuengling product!

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Simon and AKC?! Welcome to the 90s! 

You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that, do ya? On a weekday?

On 9/9/2019 at 9:24 AM, Epstein's Mother said:

Because Donohoe and Whaley would have never whiffed on those.

It's something that never ceases to puzzle me.  When Donahoe was GM of the Steelers, year after year he's lose top tier free agents and come up with solid replacements.  With the Bills, he rarely came up with anyone top tier or really solid.

5 minutes ago, AKC said:

Although important elements of it are in development, methinks our TE corps may become very good as the season progresses. I will make sure that my Happy Hour set this afternoon includes a Yuengling product!

You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that, do ya? On a weekday?

I never looked for a job 

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How is a franchise QB not part of the great foundation?

Well, either it is a passive aggressive way of being snide about Allen or, more likely, the OP was about building strength in the middle of the O and D line as the proper way to build a team. In that case, qb just doesn't factor in, even if one thinks Allen is the most important piece.

Edited by Dr. Who

On 9/9/2019 at 12:34 AM, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Excellent observation. Lotulelei is not the extraordinary talent that Edmunds and Oliver are but he also represents another heavy investment up the middle of that D. 

...speaking of Star, plenty of negatives here about him being" a bust....waste grossly overpaid, yada yada" etc...first was there a realistic expectation from TBD pundits that he would be a "stat guy" come Monday morning?...what do you see exactly as his defined role and does he meet your expectations?....thanks.........